RC Landspeeder

zacic

The idea for this came to me a bit ago, Im not sure if anyone else has ever done something this, but I just had to make it. I found an RC car that was a good side, stripped the shell and other non essential parts and started the the main shell.

IMGP1981.jpg

IMGP1986.jpg

Zacic
Zacic

That's a great idea. I can recall seeing one a long time ago, not sure if it was here or on another forum. I would have loved to have a remote one back in the day. Looking forward to seeing this one completed:)

thanks, putting a few good hours into it today, try to get the sides done. I was wondering if anyone has some really good shots of the interior of the speeder, I have the general layout but not anything really accurate

I guess you learn something new every day :lol, the filler I used to seal the gaps ate away the foam core I used as the base. The second attempt is much cleaner and fits nicer.

I think you didn´t calculate room for the front wheel´s left-right movement? I am sure that they will bump against the styrene when you try to steer the car/speeder.
At least thats how it looks in the pics of the test fit.

Michael

actually thats just a trick of the camera, Ive always been concerned with its ability to steer correctly, the wheels have enough clearance to go fully left/right.

Wouldnt it look nicer if you oversized the speeder relative to the RC base, so the wheels (like the toy posted above) stay under/inside the basic hull and dont really show?

if you did that (make chassis larger so wheels are totally beneath, you could do what they did on actual speeder in movie and put a piece of mirror-finish mylar at an angle on bottom to reflect the ground and provide illusion that the speeder was indeed "floating"

regardless, very cool project -- thanks for posting pics.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back