My HIC Poker Table.

greedo

Hello all,

I'm Greedo and I thought I would share my latest project. I am a 501st member and have posted this thread there, but at the time I was too new here to post anything. Just thought I would share this project because..... well heck it just needs to be seen.

I'm just copying and pasting my progress thread from the legion boards. I was keeping it a surprise at first, so that's why it starts that way in the narrative.

hope you enjoy......

Well, it occurred to me that i have yet to document any of my projects very thoroughly in the past. I'm really kicking myself about that with the R2. So, in an effort to document my most daring project yet, here's where I will keep everyone posted ( along with a couple of other forums too ) . I kind of want to keep it a secret for just a bit longer.....just to build suspense. ( Although there are a handful of you out there that already know what it is). I will give you a hint though. it combines two of my most favorite things in the world....and yes starwars is one of the things

First off, I had to build a cabinet

IMG_0311.jpg

Next thing is to build another one just like it and attach them back to back ( The wood looks funny because i tore down another cabinet and I am reusing the wood where I can )

IMG_0312.jpg

next up are the wings on the end for support. what does it support?? we'll see shortly.

I wanted to decorate the outside that will be seen, so I thought the interior death-star walls would make a nice touch...first to draw them out

IMG_0322.jpg

More to come......

Next I cut out the shapes with a jigsaw. *if you have a new blade and go super slow, it will look just fine

IMG_0323.jpg

next I take this router bit so that i can cut a channel around the backside of each cut out. *that's because I am putting light bars inside and the cut-outs will have glass or plastic in them. *

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Now to build the box that will be the endcaps of my cabinet

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

I started working on the frame today..... what gives with those radius ends? That's not canon at all :shock:

Did I mention how much I love poker ;)

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

So yeah... It's a HIC Poker table. *

I worked a little on building up the frame today. *each of the eight side panels will be drawers with built in drink holders. The top will be a wood frame with thick glass going across where Han is at...making it a flat surface to play cards on.

IMG_0334.jpg

So I'm starting my weekend today and I want to try and get some serious progress done on this.

The plan is to have some 1/2" LED light rope wrap around the top area where Han is at. I have a molding I will wrap around it that will conceal the light, yet still allow it to glow downward. should create a nice glowing effect around the whole inside area. Here's where the light rope will enter and exit.....
IMG_0349.jpg

I attached the "deathstar wall" end caps to the cabinet. this is the best angle i could get to show what I'm doing. The cabinet openings will have doors....they're just not done yet.

IMG_0347.jpg

And just to paint the picture of where we are going..... I laid the top surface on the frame to show how it will look. the glass will be covering Han in the center opening.

IMG_0350.jpg

More to come soon!

here's how the radius ends are coming along. they too will have panels like the real HIC. they'll just be curved
IMG_0372.jpg

Here's some of Han. I had to use bondo to blend him in to the flat surface.
IMG_0374.jpg

Next, I have been using layers of Elmer's glue to give the carbonite effect. I have 2 layers done so far. I expect I will be doing several more.
IMG_0375.jpg

more to come!

OK,,,, Holidays are over and now it's time to get back to work. this update will be kinda boring, but it atleast shows I'm working on it.

I flipped the top over so I could work on the under side. i plan on bondo-ing the seams and painting the bottom side now while it's not attached to the cabinet. I just don't want to kneel down and paint the underside and get paint all in my face and lungs. this way it will already be done.

here you go.... I told you it was boring.

here it it lying upside down on the cabinet.
IMG_0401.jpg

All sanded up
IMG_0402.jpg

Masked off the area where the cabinet goes. ( No need to waste the time and paint since it will be covered anyway)
IMG_0403.jpg

And here it is after the primer and 1 coat of paint.
IMG_0404.jpg

I'll be able to flip it around tomorrow and get working on the more interesting stuff again.

More to come!

Starting the primer today. Should have some good progress pics these next couple of days.

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

Now some of you who are familiar with the HIC builds are probably wondering why the panels are down by the feet and not the head like it is on the movie prop. well, what allot of people don't realize is that on the HIC poker table, they are down at the feet ;)

more to come!

Well, here we go with some more progress........

got the solo body painted and masked off. Here he is painted with the Hammered Silver

IMG_0419.jpg

here's the table painted with a darker Hammered Bronze

IMG_0426.jpg

now on to the fun stuff, lighting! getting the clips mounted for the rope light

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

rope light is attached and works great! keep in mind, I have a molding that i will add next that covers the rope. it still will allow the light to glow down onto solo

IMG_0431.jpg

More to come!

Well, I am taking a break from blasters and getting back to some of my own projects i have been neglecting...namely this one.

First off, I cut a small hole at the bottom of the panel. This will allow me to stick up a rod from the bottom when I want to remove the glass. it will just pop up the glass from where it sits so i can grip it to take it off. hopefully i wont have to ever remove the glass, but you gotta prep for it just in case....

IMG_0533.jpg

I cut some black melamine wood for the molding that goes around the rope light. This will allow the light to shine down onto solo, but will hide the rope itself. I'm going with an angled look to help reflect it downward. glued it together and waiting for it to dry as one piece,

IMG_0531.jpg

Once it was dry, I cut my 45 degree angles for the corners
IMG_0532.jpg

Here's what it looks like set in place.
IMG_0534-1.jpg

And here's what it looks like lit up.
IMG_0535-1.jpg

More to come!!

It's not very exciting, but at least is shows that I'm working on it... :roll:

Drilled a hole and put in a grommet for the power cord to come out of the table. *All of the guts and electronics will be housed in the endcap and this allows the power cable to come out and be plugged in to a standard outlet or extension cord.

4e899434.jpg

And here goes the paint. *If you look at the lower end of the endcap you can see the hole for the cable. *You will also notice three small square openings above where the doors go. * these openings are where I will have 3 LED puck lights mounted that will glow downward under neath Solo. *

1e9b4020.jpg

e6675305.jpg

These are the LED's that will be mounted underneath *the table top. *They go in the three openings I described in the upper picture. *there are 6 all together.
9210ea8a.jpg

More to come!

done painting the body of the cabinet and now it's time to move on to the fun stuff.....lighting 8)

I am using 3 pucklights at each end cap. *two on the top and one on the bottom. *they are mounted on these plywood boards so that i can easily install them into the caps.

5a67cbef.jpg

Here are the top ones mounted....

cf9688aa.jpg

And here it is all lit up. *I still need to purchase the orange plastic that will cover the holes, but this gives you an idea of what I'm doing. *It also lets me know that all of the lights work before I get too deep into packing them inside with the top mounted.

33144e3b.jpg

More to come!

Installed the orange plastic today. here's what it will look like 8)

474fdc96.jpg

More to come!..... after Emerald City Con this weekend that is ;)

So that's it. A few months squeezed into a few posts. Not nearly done, but at least getting there.

More to come!

Chris
''greedo''

very cool build,

but won't you see the cards being delt in the reflection of the glass covering han??

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back