Blade Runner 2049

re: Blade Runner Sequel

It's too bad Hollywood can't come up with a great original once in awhile.

Aliens
Terminator
SW
Bladerunner
Predator
Galactica

Maybe I live in the past, but most of the stuff in the last 15 years hasn't been great.

I don't believe that will ever happen. Ford would have to be integrated into the film(at least one of them) somehow and he is getting pretty old. Plus, there is allot of legal B.S involved.I don't think there is anyone out there besides Ridley Scott who could make a post Blade Runner or even a prequel Blade Runner film.The only other person I could think of who could pull it off would be Stanley Kubrick and he unfortunately died.There are no screen writers today I can think of who could adapt a prequel or post Blade Runner properly to screen and do it justice.Not with the never ending S*@&%#!#^ films Hollywood has been cranking out in recent years.The investors and producers would want a hand in dictating how the films played just as the first and completly F*&$!@#^ it up.Ridley is older and wiser now, but I am pretty sure that even still when he has some fat A^&%^#!# big head breathing down his neck that it still messes with him and he'd cut and edit the film to ribbons just as before. I think today Blade Runner is seen differently now that people have an understanding of the difficulty there was in making the film way back in 1982.I still don't mind the original theatrical piece, but the real masterpiece is "The Final Cut".I hope that a prequel or a post Blade Runner film is ever made.I don't believe it would work.That's just me,I could be wrong.

It's too bad Hollywood can't come up with a great original once in awhile.

Aliens
Terminator
SW
Bladerunner
Predator
Galactica

Are these examples of original, or not original? Because Aliens is Heinlein's "Starship Troopers," Terminator is Harlan Ellison's "Soldier," etc. Often it's not the idea, or the story that comes from the idea, but the execution of it. (Besides, there are no new stories anyway.)

If anyone can pull off a sequel the way Cameron did with Aliens (or Lucas did with ESB by taking a back seat), more power to 'em. But how often does that happen?

Also, if you want to revisit the BR universe, may I recommend "Steel Justice"?

‪Steel Justice Pilot Preview‬‏ - YouTube

I agree, the problems with doing prequels are that if you have the same characters (singularly or plural) then there is no real sense of danger for them. [In fact, thats why I HATE Temple of Doom. I know nothing happens to Indy and I don't care about short round or Willie because they weren't in Raiders.]
Another problem is when you do a prequel with new characters.. even when the story somehow fits into the established one, it usually doesn't work. You might as well have made it a side story and named it (for the sake of B.R. discussion I'll use Blade Runner) "Replicants: A Blade Runner's story".

Sequels can work (obviously) but more often than not, they somehow cheapen the first story, change something thought to have been established in the original, or you get a director who swears that he's imitating the previous one and he screws it all up. (X-Men3 and Superman Returns anyone??)

Could I see Harrison Ford picking up the PKD again because they "need the blade runner"?
Yes.
Do I want to?
I'm not really sure but inclined to say no.

Harrison Ford Discusses Blade Runner Sequel...but is it a Good Idea? | Geek Zenith
Theres a video where they ask ford about possible involvement in a sequel.
his reply?
“I have no idea at this point. It’s very early on.”

Now while it may be a bad idea, it WOULD answer the #1 question among fans.
It might also generate new licensed materials (come on 1:6th Deckard figure!!).

I'll bet Ridley Scott would hate it. :lol

It's sad but that is how I look at some of it now.

The "reboot, remake, sequal, rehash, what have you" comes out and some cool products based on the original stuff we love become available that probably never would have gotten made.

That's all I can get out of it sometimes.

The thought of a prequel or post Blad Runner film is just impossible.Aside form the story and character issues involved, anything they make now is going to be CG'd to death and it will lack everything that made "Blade Runner" look and feel incredible.It sounds weird saying this, but the hairs on the back of my neck stand up virtually from the opening of the film until the end which says so much about the writing,cinemaphotography and practical FX that went into making Blade Runner in 1982.I cannot emphisize enough on writing.Who is going to write it,or shall I say...re-write it and sharpen it to makwe it film worthy?Instead are they just going to make it some pre-grads "break through" project who has never written a screenplay before, Hollywood dumps millions of dollars into it and it just ends up being a S&^$!*%!?y film with lots of CG. There will probably be little,if not any miniature or model work and everything will be digitally matted togther.It will just make the film look dead and dry.No life,no anything.I simply just cannot see a new Blade Runner film being made realistically prequel or otherwise.

I don't think there is anyone out there besides Ridley Scott who could make a post Blade Runner or even a prequel Blade Runner film.

I don't believe RIDLEY SCOTT could do it. Look at the making of Blade Runner and you know NOBODY got the film they wanted, or thought they were making. It's a magnificent fluke and always has been. I'm not saying Ridley doesn't (sometimes) have good instincts, he proved he still has some taste and class and savvy with the Final Cut changes, which were all very good indeed.

Then again, Robin Hood. So could he possibly make a great Blade Runner sequel when the first film was great in part because of its tortured production? If he'd been able to fully realize his vision it might have been a far better film yet, but then again we might have deemed it crap. His next few films after BR don't exactly feature heavily on my rotation schedule...

There will probably be little,if not any miniature or model work and everything will be digitally matted togther.It will just make the film look dead and dry.No life,no anything.

And the suits will really, sincerely think it is *better*. :angry

The theatrical release of Blade Runner got butched because the studios and investors got involved.Mainly because of it going over budget and filming took so much longer.After a pre-screening, the "studio heads" thought it was a good idea to change the ending making it a "happy ending" along with putting Harisson Ford's naration in.Although I don't mind the naration so much, the ending was a real film killer and made no sense with the rest of the film.It just completely went against logic and continuity.That's what happens when you get Hollywood Fat Heads sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong.Some of Them have this misguided conception that becuse they have some of their money invested into a picture that they know how to make films and direct when they should be leaving that to the director to take care of.Granted, I'd probably want to know where my money went and why production is requesting another 10 million dollars, but that doesn't mean you go in throwing your weight around and start F*&%#!%ing everything up.It just seems counter productive.Like the old saying goes, "Stick with what you are good at." I don't go in telling a dentist how to do his job even though he is getting a bunch of money to work on my teeth.

Last edited:

I don't go in telling a dentist how to do his job even though he is getting a bunch of money to work on my teeth.

Have you ever worked in advertising? That's exactly what the client does. He hires the agency to come up with an ad strategy, then he tries to art-direct the whole thing. In the end, the agency gives the client what he wants, not what he needs; the strategy fails miserably; and the client blames the agency.

I'm not bitter. :)

That may be so, but it still doesn't make any sense.How can one expect anything to get done,and done properly when you have other people who have NO CLUE what they are doing suddenly calling the shots. Its like watching a train wreck as one car buckles and goes off the track after another.I see now how to "make it" as a director in Hollywood you have to be a real hard ass.There's always compromise, but you really have to stick to your guns which is why Ridley Scott is one of the best directors (next to an elite few others) out there. He might crack the whip and come off as a real slave driver, but as they say,"There is method to his maddness."

Well,if they do make a prequel or post Blade Runner film...I hope they don't completely F.U.B.A.R it up.I hope it has a good screen play and a director that knows what he's doing and that it won't be buggered with heaps of CG.

You know what else needs a sequel? Casablanca. I really want the further adventures of Rick Blaine and Captain Renault. :rolleyes

It could be done,I've had an idea in my head for a few years,just never wrote it down see what you think of this outline:

It's ten years later,Deckard is a legend of sorts,in some good ways and some bad ways.
There's rumors of a new Nexus running around and it's so human you can't find it the usual ways,of course the higher ups denies this.

Another guy has taken Deckard's place as one of the best Bladerunners around and is tasked with finding out which,if any,of several celebrities are a suspected Replicant.

Insert long convoluted big story here (I haven't worked out this part at all)

In the end my guy finds out that ALL of the celebrities are replicants and what's happened is the one Deckard took off with ether had the way to recreate herself or the death of Tyrell awoke a copy of himself who started on these new ones that ARE human.

And my character won't kill them,he doesn't like to kill them anyway and as he puts it "What happens when we become God? well it's time to answer that as we've crossed that line"

Just an idea floating in my head.

I jusr can't see a prequell or post Blade Runner film being made feasibly.Its not that I'm trying to be negative, but in reality...there really aren't any directors or writers out there I would/could trust with the material, or having the ability of carrying on a a continuing story of "Blade Runner" without being hokey or over commercial.Hollywood justy makes too much CRAP into films and/or F.B.A.R's up any kind of franchise.Very few are made well without having studios and producers trying to get their influence in on film realeases and how the films are made.There's no one out there I can think of that can do this film any justice and I doubt Ridley would be intrested in torturing himself again with a film of this calibur despite having any digital technology at his disposal. Plus all the CG and digital effect in a new Blade Runner film would just cheapen,dull and dilute it down so much.It would just be a big, freak'n disgrace.

I guess that means he is REALLY having a good time with Prometheus and he wants to keep doing stuff.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back