Lucasfilm to Strike Back March 7th - Lucasfilm vs Andrew Ainsworth

re: Lucasfilm to Strike Back March 7th

i wasnt around for the beginning of all this but after reading brians thread about what happend, ainsworth seems like a pretty big dick. he has stolen credit for work from someone who cant defend themselves and is making a profit off of it. and when he was called out for it he made up numerous stories and found a posible loophole that would alow him to continue doing this. i hope he loses the case and credit can be officialy given to the one who diserves it.

It is accepted that the First Respondent has, in the eyes of US law, infringed various US copyrights owned by the Appellants. It is not accepted that the US law should be enforced in the English courts.

That's what it's all about Charlie Brown.

Technically, it's all about whether the Stormtrooper is a work or art or industrial design.
The last case deemed it industrial design for which the copyright term had expired (open season for Ainsworth or anyone in the UK to make armor).
If Lucasfilm can get the status changed to works of art then the copyright would still be valid and Ainsworth would lose.

while i agree about Ainsworth and the copywright infringement issue , the one thing i dont like is that u.s. law is made enforcable here in the u.k. after all the u.s. does not reciprocate . simply put we are not another state of the u.s. and have our own laws and ways of dealing with things.

while i agree about Ainsworth and the copywright infringement issue , the one thing i dont like is that u.s. law is made enforcable here in the u.k. after all the u.s. does not reciprocate . simply put we are not another state of the u.s. and have our own laws and ways of dealing with things.
You do realize that kind of thing cuts both ways, right? There are treaties in place that allow this between both countries.

Well don't you know America is the worlds' big brother and just does whatever it wants when it wants, with no repercussions?

QG- as piehead said, the US does not reciprocate. Copyright, international court of justice, etc. Give us back our ugg boots, dammit! :p

Lucas can't be hurting for money that bad now, can he? jk....

They probably have more money invested in lawyers and the legal time taken to carry this out than what the settlement will bring itself!

I think George Lucas's least favorite word is probably "no". I bet the AA loss sent over the edge, and caused someone at LFL to reset the dreaded " __ days on the job with out the word No" counter. First time that had to be reset since HTD.

QG- as piehead said, the US does not reciprocate. Copyright, international court of justice, etc. Give us back our ugg boots, dammit! :p
What the hell is an ugg boot?

On the money side, I highly doubt this is about the money for LFL. It's more Ainsworth is trying to profit on work that is not his. He had no part in the design of these pieces of art. He just vacuumformed them and is now trumping up his actual involvement with lies.

I'm not really following the uk/us logic here. Let's make it a little more local... By this logic, wouldn't it also absolve all recasters, as long as there is a border between them?

They probably have more money invested in lawyers and the legal time taken to carry this out than what the settlement will bring itself!

Can't imagine they've sold enough suits/helmets have made millions in profit (or even 'a million'). LFL has to have spent well in excess of 7 figures fighting this.

Can't imagine they've sold enough suits/helmets have made millions in profit (or even 'a million'). LFL has to have spent well in excess of 7 figures fighting this.

He has to try, if the loss stands then the entire Original trilogy would be open for people outside the US to start marketing. He would thne loose millions on potential licenced merchandise. (especially if that stuff isn't accurate)

So if AA Loses this battle which i personally think is highly unlikely, does this mean he then has to pay compensation and court costs to LFL

This could potentially ruin him !!!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back