Lifesize E.T. the Extra Terrestial? What's out there?

i still need to redo mine, heres the first one i did
DSCF0119.jpg

This is mine. I've told this story before, but it bears repeating. I'll always be indebted to Willie Goldman who alerted me when this was for sale at Monsters in Motion. (It's not any more to my knowledge. This was a few years ago.) I was told it was sculpted by a Disney Imagineer for himself and this is a pull from his molds. I air brushed it myself. Then I got Beverly Hoffman, who did the glass eyes for Spielberg's E.T., to do a set of eyes for mine. The eyes are slightly set back in the head to allow for a mechanism to rotate the eyes, left, right, and around while a lamp glows red inside the chest. (Mechanism doesn't work currently. Got to get it fixed some day.)

I've never seen another one like this one. If anyone knows who sculpted this E.T., I'd love to know, just to thank him!

Anyone a niece piece for sale? Must not be screen-accurate (I like the UK-version indeed :)). Love this little guy since my childhood and would love to have it in my collection.

Neca would be a good start and with some extra work with the airbrush and a redo of the eyes would make a pretty cool piece. I'm buying one when it becomes available and will post some pics after I've re-painted the little fella.

I made one at the time of the movies release. What's left of it is in my backyard under a tree. I'll get some pictures and post them in the future.

Here's a before and after picture of a full sized ET replica I made way back
in 1982. I had given it to my folks who used to bring it out on their porch
for Halloween. They used it so long that kids in their neighborhood grew up and brought their kids to see it. It sat in their basement until 2006 when it came back to me.

The latex had not been treated with Armor All for several years and was
beginning to dry an crack.

After a move almost two years ago the latex was way beyond saving so I set
him under a tree in the backyard.

I have some latex castings just as old that are still intact. But those have rarely seen sunlight and have been treated regularly with Armor All.

I only made the one ET and destroyed the molds. Partly because I had no room to store them and I didn't want someone fishing them out of the landfill and casting more. As innaccurate as it was, I sometimes wish I'd saved the molds of that thing.

My mom was an autograph collector/dealer and sent Carlo Rambaldi a picture of my replica. He sent her a handwritten letter back with sketches showing how I should have sculpted the shape of his head. et_finished_park.jpget_rotting.jpget_sculpt_body.jpg

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I'm planning the build of an IRL ET. I Believe I have found a good eye lens sitting in a pile:
20161225_205750.jpg
(I don't know why my pics always come in tilted)I have 3 and they're lenses from an old projection-screen TV I cut up in the alley forever ago. I plan on molding the one side only so I have an easier time with the mold making.
20161225_205740.jpg
Here is a reference scale,
20161225_205705.jpg
and a carp-mock-up to test.

any other tips?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back