Robocop Reboot (Pre-release)

Isn't Total Recall based on a book? Maybe the new flick is going to adhere a little closer to it.
Sadly, it's not. There's a video link in the TR thread that shows pretty clearly that it's based on the original film, not the book (which, as I recall, doesn't actually resemble the film much, like most PKD adaptations).

Isn't Total Recall based on a book? Maybe the new flick is going to adhere a little closer to it, so that remake is a little more understandable. But Robocop isn't based on anything, right? It was an original script. That, in my eyes, makes a reboot less tasteful.

RoboCop was based on the anime "8 Man"

Please, if there is a god, don't let them reboot this franchise.

Unfortunately Hollywood is filled with lazy, no talent, unimaginative wannabes now as far as creative talent in regards to storytelling. Almost gone are the days when people use their brains and imaginations to come up with a concept. Now it is more about rehashing old ideas slamming together as much CGI, explosions and supposed "pulse pounding action" as they can in 2 hours.

It is sad really.

Rehashing and copying movie icons doesn't have to be bad, as long as they stick to somekind of original brilliant formula, like George Lucas did with Star Wars for instance, but the point is that it's all been done before and it is starting to show.

Rebooting movies like Total Recall and Robocop doesn't add something to Movie History. it just doesn't seem to make a point.I hope the upcoming Bladerunner movie isn't somekind of remake, because I'm afraid it will suffer the same faith.

Rehashing and copying movie icons doesn't have to be bad, as long as they stick to somekind of original brilliant formula, like George Lucas did with Star Wars for instance...

:facepalm

facepalm.jpg

Damn it hollywood... why you disappoint me so much with the things I love.

Ed-209.... my man... now? Bayformers garbage. ARggg..

Jury is still out on our man Robocop.

But I got a bad feeling about it..

When they reboot a movie is there anything written saying they HAVE to reboot the costumes as well?. The Robocop design we all know and love still holds up today in my opinion.

When they reboot a movie is there anything written saying they HAVE to reboot the costumes as well?. The Robocop design we all know and love still holds up today in my opinion.

it's part of the "reboot" ethic.
"hey let's reboot this old film! people loved it, it's got a hardcore fanbase we can appeal to and people love x,y and z about it."
"ok! money in the bank! so how will we reboot it?"
"tell you what, we'll change x. and y. and we'll add in a and b which will kinda negate z"
"so, we reboot to appeal to a fanbase, then remove the stuff the fanbase loves? got it."

Best post I've read in a while.

Nailed it.

"hey let's reboot this old film! people loved it, it's got a hardcore fanbase we can appeal to and people love x,y and z about it."
"tell you what, we'll change x. and y. and we'll add in a and b which will kinda negate z"
"so, we reboot to appeal to a fanbase, then remove the stuff the fanbase loves? got it."

I'm in the minority that thinks that this reboot could, potentially, be a good thing. Rebooting and remaking films is hardly a new thing in Hollywood and not all reboots and remakes are bad. With the right script and director this could be a great movie, it all depends on whether this is meant to be a quick buck to capitalize on the Robocop name or a serious attempt at relaunching/revitalizing the franchise.

I have often felt this way. I absolutely HATED the idea of Starbuck being a female on the new Battlestar Galactica. I didn't watch it.

I have since watched the entire series on Netflix. Boy was I wrong to stay away. That series was awesome.

Sure I still wish that Starbuck would have been a dude and the guy-buddy theme would have been prominent, but it is still undoubtedy a great series.

Guess what. You don't have to pick. You can enjoy the original Robocop AND the reboot! Why force yourself to like only one? The original isn't being erased!

I have often felt this way. I absolutely HATED the idea of Starbuck being a female on the new Battlestar Galactica. I didn't watch it.

I have since watched the entire series on Netflix. Boy was I wrong to stay away. That series was awesome.

Sure I still wish that Starbuck would have been a dude and the guy-buddy theme would have been prominent, but it is still undoubtedy a great series.

Guess what. You don't have to pick. You can enjoy the original Robocop AND the reboot! Why force yourself to like only one? The original isn't being erased!

That's not quite the point.

Obviously, the reboot doesn't erase the original. The issue is that while Hollywood is busy making yet another one of those, quess what they AREN'T making? Something interesting and new.

Then there's this aspect:

If your movie is good enough to stand on its own, if it has an interesting enough concept behind it, a good enough story, and good actors, a solid script, etc....

....then why do you need to make it a remake at all? Wouldn't your movie be good enough without all the pre-existing intellectual property?

And if your movie is NOT good enough to stand on its own...then why the hell are you making it in the first place?

This is why people say the studios are lazy. Because they ARE lazy. Most of the time, they'd rather take a "meh" story, slap on a veneer of an existing property, and call it a day, rather than come up with a better idea.

Whenever you look at a remake or a licensed property film, ask yourself this: if you stripped out the bits and pieces that are distinctive to the intellectual property in question...would people still go see the movie? I'd bet 9 out of 10 times, the answer is "NO WAY."

You think if you changed the character's names, costumes, and references to Cobra, and the title was changed from "G.I. Joe" to "American Commandos," that film would've done well?

Au contrere. It would have tanked at the box office.

Meanwhile, how often does an inventive and cool film like, say, Inception come out anymore? I'm not even saying some earth-shattering, mind-blowing, this-will-change-cinema-forever film. Just something we haven't freakin' seen before that doesn't rely on a 1980s brand name to sell tickets.

That's not quite the point.

Obviously, the reboot doesn't erase the original. The issue is that while Hollywood is busy making yet another one of those, quess what they AREN'T making? Something interesting and new.

Then there's this aspect:

If your movie is good enough to stand on its own, if it has an interesting enough concept behind it, a good enough story, and good actors, a solid script, etc....

....then why do you need to make it a remake at all? Wouldn't your movie be good enough without all the pre-existing intellectual property?

And if your movie is NOT good enough to stand on its own...then why the hell are you making it in the first place?

This is why people say the studios are lazy. Because they ARE lazy. Most of the time, they'd rather take a "meh" story, slap on a veneer of an existing property, and call it a day, rather than come up with a better idea.

Whenever you look at a remake or a licensed property film, ask yourself this: if you stripped out the bits and pieces that are distinctive to the intellectual property in question...would people still go see the movie? I'd bet 9 out of 10 times, the answer is "NO WAY."

You think if you changed the character's names, costumes, and references to Cobra, and the title was changed from "G.I. Joe" to "American Commandos," that film would've done well?

Au contrere. It would have tanked at the box office.

Meanwhile, how often does an inventive and cool film like, say, Inception come out anymore? I'm not even saying some earth-shattering, mind-blowing, this-will-change-cinema-forever film. Just something we haven't freakin' seen before that doesn't rely on a 1980s brand name to sell tickets.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, this is nothing new, Hollywood has been doing this for forever. It's not about being lazy as much as it's about playing it safe with their money by investing in something with name recognition and with a potentially built in fan base. With the cost of a lot movies in the hundreds of millions these days studios have become a lot choosier about what projects they green light in order to minimize their risk. Movie studios aren't in it to make movies, at the end of the day they're just like any business and their business is about making money.

The other thing about remakes is that it can be looked at bringing an old(er) franchise or title to a new generation who might not appreciate or were aware of the original. Not every great movie is necessarily a classic that shouldn't be messed with and remade, there are plenty of great movies that could stand a remake if only to make it modern because certain aspects of it didn't really age well.

Sometimes I wonder about the present studio need for remakes, could all these beloved things they are rebooting ever have happened at all if the studios were like this back then?

For every 100 million plus remake, that is probably several fresh idea films that were never born.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back