Robocop Reboot (Pre-release)

Obviously it's not a big complaint, but if you want your kids to understand why you enjoyed a certain film you don't do it with an R rated film.
I dont get why everyone always thinks their kids need to see everything when they are children. No offense CC, just
saying. I hear a lot of gripes about people with kids saying "how am I supposed to take my kids to see this". I dont know, just bugs I guess.

I think the same thing others have said about the suit. He looks plastic, like a toy, like its not even made of metal, rather some kind of plastic, or carbon fiber. There is no way this can even compare to the original, it lacks character. Its obvious that the "Omni Corp" set up the carbomb so they would have someone to put into the suit, and it looks just like that, a guy in a suit. In no way do I believe that its his actual body, especially with the stupid hand showing. I like the idea of "retaining humanity" but the hand makes it look ridiculous. Being able to reveal his face alone takes away from the character. In the original when ED shot him in the face, you realize, holy **** there is a man in there, eyes convey emotion. And if the computer takes over, with a sense that Murphy is backseat the whole time, what would make me even want to "override his priorities". Besides, directives sound way cooler than priorities. When I hear priority I think of my GF nagging at me.

"How am I supposed to take my kids to see this?!" You aren't. You get a babysitter and go see it yourself.

Obviously it's not a big complaint, but if you want your kids to understand why you enjoyed a certain film you don't do it with an R rated film.

The question is, did you see that R-rated movie that you loved so much that you want to take your kids to a reboot of at the same age they are now or did you go see it when you were older? Besides, if movie that you loved was an R-rated film wouldn't a PG-13 remake not be the same thing as the beloved R-rated original but a watered down copy instead? I don't know about you but, me personally, I'd much rather my kids see the original version of a movie that I really enjoyed &/or loved and will wait until they're old enough to watch it rather taking them to see a watered down, bastardized remake right now.

I don't care what anyone says, this should have been made as an R-rated movie from the start. Most of kids these days probably have never even heard of the original Robocop. Let them enjoy their Iron Man and give us our R-rated Robocop.

The question is, did you see that R-rated movie that you loved so much that you want to take your kids to a reboot of at the same age they are now or did you go see it when you were older? Besides, if movie that you loved was an R-rated film wouldn't a PG-13 remake not be the same thing as the beloved R-rated original but a watered down copy instead? I don't know about you but, me personally, I'd much rather my kids see the original version of a movie that I really enjoyed &/or loved and will wait until they're old enough to watch it rather taking them to see a watered down, bastardized remake right now.

I don't have kids, but that's about where I come out. If they're too young to see it, then they'er too young to see it. No big deal, they can wait a few years and see it when they're older. But they should see the "real" version of it.

Even if a film is a classic, there are ages where it's appropriate to watch them, and ages where it's not appropriate -- and that's not just about some sense of exposing them to things they can't handle. Sometimes it's about not trying to expose them to things they can't appreciate, too, even if there's nothing particularly "bad" about it.

Example: I had a friend growing up who was always trying to be "older" than he was. I remember for his 10th birthday, he had a bunch of us come over to his place, and put on Casablanca because "It's a classic!"

Except, this kid had NO idea why Casablanca is a classic, and as a result, after watching the film at 10 years old and finding it about as interesting as watching paint dry, I had no desire to see it again and didn't until I took a film course in college....at which point I finally realized why it was a classic. Little kids can't grasp things like the kind of love -- and love lost -- that's depicted in that film, or the implications of living "underground" in the midst of a war, etc., etc. They won't get the humor of "I am shocked -- shocked! -- to discover that there is GAMBLING happening here--" "Your winnings, sir." "Oh, thank you."

This isn't universal, obviously. It's not like NO ten year old on the planet could appreciate Casablanca or whathaveyou. Kids can approach film at different ages, depending entirely on the kid. But if your kid is too young to get or handle a particular film....then they shouldn't watch it, ya know? Why rush? The film will still be there when they're older.

Anyone else notice this at the 0.28s mark?

robo1.jpg

Looks like we might see a little something of the original suit.

Yeah. And if I recall correctly, the marketing department characters of OCP says it looks like crap. So they're crapping on the first film. **** that. They won't get my money by crapping on a classic film.

I really hope that first metallic suit they showed in the trailer somehow comes back full circle. You can see him walking thru a hallway with it and it clearly looks like he's engaging enemies or chasing someone.

I dont think they should just make it child friendly for kids for the hell of it. But dont get me wrong. They shouldnt make it violent for the same reason. I dont think it will require violence to be a good film. If its crap it will be due to the writing.

Those complaining that it should be like the old suit just ... because.... well thats not a valid argument. So I cant respond.

And to those complaining it should be like the original and have all the same plot violence etc. Heres a tip. Quit whining.... And go and watch the ORIGINAL! Its already there! So grow up! Lol. *shakes fist in air like old man*

Pretend mini rant over

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I'm sick of everything being child friendly anymore. Then again they give us the Unrated dvd versions of the films but a lot of older folks would like going to the movies. Everything has to be kid friendly nowadays. If this thing does well i'll be surprised, i mean the new Total Recall looked good but stank so maybe this will be the opposite. Looks like crap but is a good movie. At least they didn't hire the writer of Legend of Chun-li to write it like the Dead Space movie did lol.

They're making it PG-13 so they can sell more tickets, it's not rocket science. What's going to backfire on Sony/MGM is that they're taking a sci-fi cheesy yet violent cult classic and trying to make it into their own version of Iron Man, just doesn't work for me and other people who grew up with the original. Nobody's asking for the SOS from the 80s-90s, just that they keep the spirit of the original and stick to what worked.

You'd think after Clash of the Titans and Total Recall, these producers would learn that going too mainstream with a reboot is not the way to go...

They're making it PG-13 so they can sell more tickets, it's not rocket science. What's going to backfire on Sony/MGM is that they're taking a sci-fi cheesy yet violent cult classic and trying to make it into their own version of Iron Man, just doesn't work for me and other people who grew up with the original. Nobody's asking for the SOS from the 80s-90s, just that they keep the spirit of the original and stick to what worked.

You'd think after Clash of the Titans and Total Recall, these producers would learn that going too mainstream with a reboot is not the way to go...

Since you're citing to box office numbers, my guess is they ARE paying attention, and what they see tells them "Keep up the mediocre work!"

Kids don't care. These movies are not destined to be classics, and they know this. The kids know it, the studios know it, the actors know it. They don't care. If it becomes that, super. If not, who cares? The kids will go see it because it's the next big flashy action thing, and then they'll consume it and move on to the next thing that's only 5 minutes old.

What made Robocop great is completely missing in this. It was a cheesy, gory, glorified B movie. The entire basis of the movie would be rated R by default.

This is NOT Robocop. Not even a little. It's just a bad Batman knockoff featuring Nick Fury. The filmmakers are mixing everything they can from the current DC and Marvel films. Not one original idea whatsoever.

Next, we'll get a reboot of Short Circuit and Johnny 5 will look exactly like a T-800

Since you're citing to box office numbers, my guess is they ARE paying attention, and what they see tells them "Keep up the mediocre work!"

After your comment about box office #s I decided to investigate how those 2 (well 3 since I counted WotT) did. CotT did a respectable $493M global, but major drop in the sequel at $305M, and then Total Recall just missed $200M. These movies were released in that order. I think the general public is starting to say no to mediocre reboots.

Does not bode well for Robocop 2014.

I'm sick of everything being child friendly anymore. Then again they give us the Unrated dvd versions of the films but a lot of older folks would like going to the movies. Everything has to be kid friendly nowadays. If this thing does well i'll be surprised, i mean the new Total Recall looked good but stank so maybe this will be the opposite. Looks like crap but is a good movie. At least they didn't hire the writer of Legend of Chun-li to write it like the Dead Space movie did lol.

The movie is PG-13, not PG. Hardly made for children. You also have to think, that when the Original Robocop was made, there was no PG-13 rating in existence. It either got PG or fell below that aweful standard that got a film slapped with an R rating. I can recall many movies in my childhood, rated PG, that would by current standards, never come close to that rating if they were released today. If I remember correctly Stephen Spielberg is the man, who takes credit for PG-13 being created.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back