Robocop Reboot (Pre-release)

It's simply because people pay to see their long time hero's return to the big screen.

If you make it, they will come.

I think this problem translate to not only movies, but games and possibly even music. In the case of movies or games....people clamor for original ideas, creative thinking, just something NEW. Not re-hased movies from an earlier time w/newer actors and plots adapted to reflect more "modern times".

But then when someone in Hollywood does make a new movie, or at least come back w/an idea that hasn't been done yet, people don't go see it.

I was reading something along these lines earlier, but John Carter is a great example. Disney found a story that hadn't been told in film, was successful at it's time, and made it into a modern movie. The movie actually looked pretty good. Not bad at least. And definitely deserved better than it did in the BO. I talked w/friends when it was released and I thought this movie just screamed DVD revival. I am not sure how sales have done in the past week since it's release to DVD, but I would imagine that it will do better in DVD sales. I could be dead wrong.

Now take a movie that people love or even has/had a cult following. Robocop, Total Recall, Red Dawn, doesn't matter. These, whether we like it or not, are brands we, at least know. Let alone possibly love. Same applies w/games. You can go out and buy the newest copy of Madden or COD w/the same concepts, minimal graphics upgrades, and maybe a new throwaway feature year after year instead of buying the new FPS game from X developer or a different football game instead of the EA version (No longer possible thanks to the NFL/EA monopoly). Because we know and love it the brands we know, even if it is worse than we remember it, instead of taking a chance on a new guy. We have almost taken the quote "The grass isn't always greener" to a whole new meaning. Almost afraid to even try new things. But I guess that is hard when a company like Disney plans half their year on money they haven't made from a movie they hope will do well, but hasn't.

Financially, for everyone, it makes more sense to rehash old ideas instead of bringing new ones to the table. Sucks, but I think it is a product we the people helped create.

john carter is a whole different pair of shoes

it was not that it wasnt accepted by the audience, but it was totally ****ed up by marketing.
that was disneys fault, and not t he audiences.

I REALLY don't like the idea of a Reboot, if anything make it a continuation. Robocop 1 was brilliant in the sense of creating the ultimate tragic hero. As Caymen said earlier this new film will lack any of the depth the original had, yes I believe it had depth. So if they are going to white wash Robocop as industry does with all of todays movies they'd better make it violent.

I've decided that with Re-boots of various franchises, that it doesn't matter one way of another if they remake an old classic.
Why do i have this opinion, well two reasons, i don't have to watch the re-boot if i don't want, and second, it can never wipe out or change the classic that i love.

Robocop is one of my all time favorite films. It's great - If hollywood want to make a solid buck by remaking films instead of taking the plunge on a new idea, hey, it's their time and money.

Robocop will always stand on it's own, no re-make will ever be able to take the sheer brilliance away from the original. We will still have it people, and if you want to go see the new one, well go see it...... you can either love it or hate it, and it will give you something to talk about!!!

On the other hand, what i don't like is taking the original and mixing it with something else. A Robocop vs Terminator flick would bug the hell out of me - two stories in two different universes in two different times - Nah that's now going too far!!

I know I'm definitely the minority in this thread when I say that I welcome the reboot. Don't get me wrong I loved the original Robocop films but I'd like to see what they can do now with the franchise. Maybe even breath some new life into it and turn a new generation into Robocop fans that will actually check out the original series. Whats the worst that can happen? It sucks? So what, then we can talk about how great the original Robocop films were!

ed-209-2012.jpg

Yes!!! We have ED-209! That is all I needed to see!

Interesting to see that he has a very nu-BSG Cylon look and feel to him.

Now, all I want to know is whether or not he will make the squeeling pig sound.

I'm optimistic about this. I'm glad that they will have ED-209 and I love Joel Kinnaman's work in "The Killing". I think this movie might surprise us.

That's an interesting design. Does invoke memories of the original a bit. But honestly, I hope that RoboCop isn't as extremely far out from the original design. Honestly, I came across some custom figures which I wouldn't mind their design being used:

Concept Art Robocop Custom Action Figure

Modern Robocop - MGM Remake Robocop Custom Action Figure (I definitely like this one the most because it still keeps most of the original design IMO)

The user who did these also did a "modernized" ED-209, but I sorta like the design we see in the picture above.

Those designs aren't that bad. I actually like the first RoboCop custom there. But I have a feeling the actual movie version is going to have red lights all over the body if that teaser poster a few posts up is accurate... :facepalm

Hmm. I like Ed but wonder if they are going the Recall route and are simply going to remake the classic film scene by scene? I'm not to thrilled with the rumor that you can see RoboCops face, as apparently he is not going to wear a mask despite how that concept action figure looks.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back