Robocop Reboot (Pre-release)

Seriously, can Hollywood come up with ANYTHING original anymore? If you're gonna remake movies, how about remaking the ones that sucked and make them not suck?

If it isn't broken don't fix it. Robocop was made perfectly the first time around.
Hollywood is populated by morons (in the film industry that is!).
I know those pictures are fan created but they totally fail to capture the flavor of Robocop.
What the hell is a wonderboy?

Ever notice how often this pose is used in superhero/action movies? Hollywood and fans can't even try a new pose!
robo%20sword.JPG

I agree everything is PG13 in theaters because they're aiming at kids with disposable income and then put out the unrated DVD for the adults who rent or buy.

Its a shame that the original theatrical cut wasnt the Directors cut, it may have been due to the extra violence, so that it didnt fall foul of the censor. I am a little dubious about remaking GOOD 80's classics, like the talk about re-making Predator...I mean, how can you perfect perfection, at the end of the day, "If it aint broke, dont fix it!" :)

The studios cant lose. If remakes are not as good as the original, it will get sales out of the original movie, and will get a whole new generation interested in the movie...I think the last re-make that was any good was I Spit On Your Grave..yeah it wasnt brilliant, but a lot better than the original. Maybe they should concerntate on not re-making, but making it close to the original with the same ideals that made it a winner..look at Predators, in my opinion, it was brilliant, it had the same vision and ideals, coupled with similar score, and even had a Jack Crain machete replica..which worked. :)

Last edited:
Robocop could only have been made in the 80's. The tread lightly filmmakers of today won't and can't go balls out like they did back then - heck, even they barely got away with it.

Not only is the Hollywood climate different, the nation is a different place. Robocop was a reaction to the times. Take it out of the 80s audience's context and it loses a great deal.

A lot of people are complaing about the design, and it is stupid, but this is about waaaaay more than that. After all, the same design was used in the mediocre 2, the unwatchable 3, and the ?! TV shows. It's about the direction, the writing, the acting, and the time and place that spawned the story to begin with, which can't be re-captured.

Now, all we need is a reboot of The Terminator, and we may eventually have an adaptation of RoboCop vs. The Terminator comic that was written by Frank Miller.

To hell with it, just give me a RoboCop vs. The Terminator, forget the reboots.

Not only is the Hollywood climate different, the nation is a different place. Robocop was a reaction to the times. Take it out of the 80s audience's context and it loses a great deal.

Exactly. Thats why Rambo (2008) didnt really work, it was great in the 1980's, and shoulda stayed there.

Actually, I appreciated both Rambo and The Expendables for what they each were and what they weren't. I took them as riffs on the 80s action flick.

I do, however, think that Robocop as a remake would translate that well. I mean, the underlying concept of a reborn cyborg policeman and associated questions regarding his humanity are worth exploring (maybe), but there's no need to do this AS a Robocop remake for any reason other than branding.

Hell, you could take the same concept and have it be "Vampire Cop" or "Z.O.P. -- Zombies On Patrol" or "John Lazarus, P.I." or whatever. The basic concept of a reborn man who was wrongly slain, rediscovering his past and possibly exacting vengeance on those who killed him is fine. Hell, the same concept was used in a more mystical sense in The Crow and its godawful sequels.

My objection to this is that it's probably taking someone else's somewhat original script, and rewriting it to the point where they can CALL it Robocop just for the branding benefits. Well, that and the fact that people keep watching these things which only tells Hollywood "Keep up the good work!"

Now, all we need is a reboot of The Terminator, and we may eventually have an adaptation of RoboCop vs. The Terminator comic that was written by Frank Miller.

To hell with it, just give me a RoboCop vs. The Terminator, forget the reboots.

Hell with that Brotha...I want to see a RoboCop Vs. Terminator Vs. Predator, Vs. Alien, Vs. Rocky, Vs. Vatican Warlock Assasin With Tiger Blood, and Adonis DNA, Back To The Future, Star Wars, Star Trek, Super 8, movie. Now that would be something to see:sleep

You're close, but I think the blockbuster would be:

RoboCop vs. Iron Man vs. Terminator vs. Predator vs. Alien vs. Batman vs. Superman vs. Super Shark vs. Sharktopus vs. Oversexed Rugsuckers from Mars.

I'm serious, a RoboCop vs. The Terminator would be epic, especially if they followed the story written by Miller. In fact, he used details in the comic that were cut of his RoboCop 2 and RoboCop 3 stories, such as RoboCop's Human/Cybernetic mind and how it worked (and no, Miller was not responsible for the "Roboteer" jetpack in Part 3. Even he has stated it was stupid).

You know what really frosts my nipples? There are plenty of BAD movies to remake. Nobody gave a tin plated crap when they remade Prom Night or My Bloody Valentine. Robocop is a beloved classic, one might say a sci-fi action masterpiece. Don't believe me? Check Rottentomatoes.com. YOU DON'T REMAKE A MASTERPIECE! I don't want to see Casablanca set in Kuwait, or Citizen Kane as a cautionary Wall Street tale, or Lawrence of Arabia in space, or It's a Wonderful Life starring Will Ferrel. Seriously, I don't get the mentality. These people have no respect for art. These Hollywood bozos would smear their ignorant feces on Starry Night if you let them.

Oh yeah, I'm a HUGE fan of the original Robocop, if you couldn't tell by the blind rage oozing through my keyboard.

Think I'm over-reacting? Some day these S.O.B.s will remake Blade Runner. How would that make you feel?

You know what really frosts my nipples? There are plenty of BAD movies to remake. Nobody gave a tin plated crap when they remade Prom Night or My Bloody Valentine. Robocop is a beloved classic, one might say a sci-fi action masterpiece.

That's a bit of a contradiction. You see, to you, the original Prom Night and My Bloody Valentine are both considered masterpieces to fans of slasher films, and to fans of those films individually. Basically, saying that "nobody gave a tin plated crap" when they were remade is not necessarily true, as someone would (if not horror movie fans, then fans of those films individually). Yet, the same is true about RoboCop, some one would give a damn be it action movie enthusiasts, sci-fi movie enthusiasts or just plan fans of the movies.

Not all remakes are bad, but it's gotten ridiculously out of hand in recent years, and has become blatantly obvious that branding is the sole goal of this. Make a ****ty film and call it [insert 80s movie name/toy franchise/whatever here], and people will flock to see it. Brands sell movies. The suits know this now and they aren't letting go of that concept, so they will brand (IE: remake or option an existing property) EVERYTHING in an effort to make people more willing to go into the theater. And it works, too. People wouldn't give a crap about "Robo-Warriors" but you rename the same p.o.s. movie "Transformers" and get Peter Cullen to voice a character, and you're golden. Your ****ty movie that no one would go see is now a money maker. Same goes for something like Clash of the Titans. A totally mediocre story. But, slap an 80s-remake-name on it, and people will see it. The fans who complain about remaking the film will still go because they're ****ing junkies who can't say no, the newbies will go because they recognize the name, and you'll make bank. who cares if it gets panned? who cares if it sucks? You get asses in the chairs and that's all that counts in the end.

I don't know... really would depend on the director and how they want to take on the story...

Batman by Christopher Nolan Reboot? Pretty good.

Iron man 1 was pretty good too.

Robocop vs japanese robot was dumb. There I said it.

I know most here hate remakes and reboots, but I was expecting someone to update the Six Million Dollar Man by now. Of course would probably have to call it the Six BILLION Dollar man to match inflation.

I know most here hate remakes and reboots, but I was expecting someone to update the Six Million Dollar Man by now. Of course would probably have to call it the Six BILLION Dollar man to match inflation.

I think maybe a reboot of this wouldn't be bad or they could do it as a sequel and have Lee Majors show up in a cameo.

I think in the early 2000s I read a rumour about the Six Million Dollar Man "movie"...

"Steve Austin is the 1 billion dollar man, and the 6 million dollar man is a renegade prototype that he must stop!"

Of course it never happened. And I think the failed series Bionic Woman pretty much killed any chance of a SMDM remake.

Kevin

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back