My Budget AT-AT Driver Build

FiresprayPilot

Hi Everyone!
Okay, so a few weeks backed I purchased an AT-AT Driver set from a fellow board member. By the way, the transaction was immediate and smooth! Thanks again to Bluemiragestudio :thumbsup! The set was listed as "craptacular" due to the poor condition of the set :lol. I have a love for modeling, prop building, and sci-fi, so I decided to jump on the deal and give it a crack. When the set arrived, I was impressed :$. The helmet was not in too bad shape. Just a bit yellowed, minor cracks, and brittle ABS from the age. I looked at the complete set with the end product in mind, and the amount of TLC that iI had to put into it.
I thought that I would not be able to get to the set for a while, but I just got hit with severe Bronchitis, so after being layed up for 3 days, I can stay home resting and building for a bit.
Now, my intent is not to build a completely screen accurate prop, but something close to it, and something that will make a really nice display. My first decision was to begin with the bucket, and decide whether I wanted it to be movie accurate gray or the more common white. I decided to go with the white. I just like the way that the white looks...
So, here we go. I will try to post the pics as I make progress on the set. All coments welcome :rolleyes

Helmet with the greeblies removed, and the frown cut out. Also scuffed down for primed. By the way, I'm still looking for some wiper greebs if anyone has some in their couch cusions :lol

Okay, so I finished up the shoulders yesterday. They were in pretty bad shape with alot of surface variations and untrimmed. Some bondo, cutting and shaping, alot of sanding, priming, and paint, and...NICE glossy shoulder armor!

Next, I tackled the backplate. Aside from some yellowing of the ABS and some REALLY sticky stuff on the shoulder areas it wasn't in bad shape. I'm trying to keep this restoration within a budget, so I decided to keep all of the original stickers. Again, basic priming, sanding, and painting on this part. I am really pleased with the end result.

Next, on to the chest plate. It was probalbly the piece that was in the worst shape of the lot. It had several cracks, uneven skin, and untrimmed. Again, some bondo, sanding, trimming, and painting. Nice end result :)

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah, I agree on the faceplate. I think that he looks a bit sad :lol. I finished painting most of the details on the helmet. Waiting on some decals to finish it all up...

Okay, a little update. So this is where I am at with the armor. I'm waiting on a set of shoulder straps, but overall it's pretty much finished aside from a few minor details. The chest box was not in bad shape aside from some yellowing of the plastic. Some paint and handpainted details and it turned out pretty cool. All in all, I'm happy with the results. It's going to make a good display...

Thanks for the comments guys! Yes, I have the greebs for the helmet (except tusks which I'm waiting on). I just received the decals for the helmet yesterday. I will start to put the helmet together again this evening. I will post some pics later on tonight...

wow ... you really brought this back to life ... fantastic ... glad the armor went to someone who could bring back the luster and shine to something that should never fade ... beautiful work and again awesome

Thanks everyone! Yes, modeling and prop building is an awesome hobby! It's great when it all starts to come together at the end :) I received the helmet decals yesterday. All I'm waiting on for the helmet are the tusks which are enroute. I also received the shoulder straps for the armor today (thanks Jeff :thumbsup). Armor should also be done shortly. Here are some pics of the helmet at this point...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back