District 9 Nerf Gun ;)

JohnsonArms

Sr Member
Ok, so I wanted to share my first attempt at a "Disctrict 9" style paintjob. I'd appreciate any feedback on if I should look at this as a viable seller. Thanks guys/gals! :)

Brian

District9pic1.jpg

It's good ground work, but two things stick out to me that lack the D9 feel:

1. No large graphic areas of color, such as large orange or black stripes.

and

2. Perhaps most important, it's too clean. All the hardware in District 9 was beat up, scuffed, stained, and chipped. Weather that baby, make it look hard used and that will help nail the mood.

Looks pretty good. I agree with the above comments about more areas of color.

Also, you should try and sand down/fill in the 48. Doesn't seem like the alien guns would have roman numerals on them.

Hey, that looks really good, brother! Now go dirty it up a bit. Different people use different weathering techniques. I just always found it best to roll around in the dirt with my costumes a bit :lol. Put that sucker in some dirt in your back yard and scuff him around a bit! Nice work, I like it! :thumbsup

Good fun idea. As well as the extra weathering everyone agrees on I'd suggest going a lot further with large areas of bold black or orange though. Don't restrict those to the gun's little surface features: go BIG, like Greg Broadmore and Weta did with the D9 props themselves. :)

Hey, that looks really good, brother! Now go dirty it up a bit. Different people use different weathering techniques. I just always found it best to roll around in the dirt with my costumes a bit :lol. Put that sucker in some dirt in your back yard and scuff him around a bit! Nice work, I like it! :thumbsup

Indeed! Ya, if you see my other nerf guns in my thread on that subject (I'm amazed at the popularity of it all) you'll see I can't help but weather up my guns. I am still deciding what color dirt I want to add on the D9 one. Thanks again for the compliment!

Good fun idea. As well as the extra weathering everyone agrees on I'd suggest going a lot further with large areas of bold black or orange though. Don't restrict those to the gun's little surface features: go BIG, like Greg Broadmore and Weta did with the D9 props themselves. :)

Great advice! I'll be doing more of these and the next one is getting much bolder color. I'll beadding it here when I get to doing it! ;)

It's good ground work, but two things stick out to me that lack the D9 feel:

1. No large graphic areas of color, such as large orange or black stripes.

and

2. Perhaps most important, it's too clean. All the hardware in District 9 was beat up, scuffed, stained, and chipped. Weather that baby, make it look hard used and that will help nail the mood.

I have heard the masses and I will put my patented wear and tear on it! Stay tuned! ;)

Looks pretty good. I agree with the above comments about more areas of color.

Also, you should try and sand down/fill in the 48. Doesn't seem like the alien guns would have roman numerals on them.

Haha, I agree. I can't tell you the blisters I have from sanding down those raised letters and numbers :) I've got a dremel, but in a lot of spots its hard not to hit things you don't want gouged! It also tends to melt the plastic even at lower RPMs.

I also agree with the comment posted in the other thread. If your intention is that this is one of the Prawn guns, then it needs a Prawn "canister" somewhere on it. ;)

Originally posted by Roughneckone:

district9pic3.jpg

I also agree with the comment posted in the other thread. If your intention is that this is one of the Prawn guns, then it needs a Prawn "canister" somewhere on it. ;)

Originally posted by Roughneckone:

Ya, I'm thinking a shaving cream can will fit the bill. Now I just have to drain a ton of foam out of it! ;)

district9pic3.jpg

Ya, I'm thinking a shaving cream can will fit the bill. Now I just have to drain a ton of foam out of it! ;)

So, guys, have you seen Nerf's new WHITEOUT SERIES dart blasters yet? Just spotted these in Wally World the other day...

Nerf%2BWhiteout%2BSeries%2BLongstrike%2BCS-6%2B-%2B13.JPG

Nerf%2BWhiteout%2BSeries%2BLongstrike%2Bin%2BSingapore.JPG

Nerf%2BWhiteout%2BSeries%2BMaverick%2Bin%2BSingapore.JPG

Look like Nerf liked the D9 color scheme idea so well, they decided to make it official! :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back