Movies you hate that everyone else likes

I haven't. I gave up after the second one. I always got the impression that they were pale sequels to the real movie. (Kind of like Rambo)...
You're not far from wrong. 20th Century Fox was having financial problems, so the budget for each sequel got smaller and it shows in the finished movies.

Also, Charlton Heston did not want to come back for the first sequel. He finally agreed under two conditions--his scenes had to be filmed within a two week period, and Taylor had to die. Heston claims he suggested the ending to Beneath, thinking if Taylor destroyed the planet it would be the end of the sequels. He clearly underestimated 20th Century Fox's desire to make money from the franchise, so when The Suits at Fox demanded another sequel the writers came up with the time travel idea.

At the very least you should make an attempt to see Escape and Conquest if you're interested at all. I personally think Conquest is the best of the sequels, but since each sequel is a continuation of the story you should see Escape first or it will be difficult to understand the continuity. Battle isn't the worst movie ever made, but it's certainly the worst of the franchise. Watch it if you're curious, but don't expect much.

I finally got around to watching Sinister since it's on Netflix. Again, I don't want to say I hate it but I don't understand all the love and the hype around it. I have had people tell me it's the best Hollywood horror film in years but I found the scares rather cheap, the story close to non-existent, the characters a little iffy, particularly the wife and her "marriage" to Ellison, among a plethora of other grievances. I hate to say this because I know the people responsible for the look, but Mr. Boogie just makes me think of Michael Jackson. Thinking of the "sinister" boogie grabbing his crotch and exclaiming "shamone!" really lowers his creepiness level to me.

Also, I've never understood the fear of ghost children to be honest, something quite a few horror movies use... ghost or not, I'd kick the little buggers in their head..

You're not far from wrong. 20th Century Fox was having financial problems, so the budget for each sequel got smaller and it shows in the finished movies.

Also, Charlton Heston did not want to come back for the first sequel. He finally agreed under two conditions--his scenes had to be filmed within a two week period, and Taylor had to die. Heston claims he suggested the ending to Beneath, thinking if Taylor destroyed the planet it would be the end of the sequels. He clearly underestimated 20th Century Fox's desire to make money from the franchise, so when The Suits at Fox demanded another sequel the writers came up with the time travel idea.

At the very least you should make an attempt to see Escape and Conquest if you're interested at all. I personally think Conquest is the best of the sequels, but since each sequel is a continuation of the story you should see Escape first or it will be difficult to understand the continuity. Battle isn't the worst movie ever made, but it's certainly the worst of the franchise. Watch it if you're curious, but don't expect much.
Thanks! I did want to see them all but then they left Netflix.

But I have to say, part was probably the biggest bummer ending ever. Bleak

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Speaking of ferrell, has anyone seen the campaign? It's one of the funniest film I've seen. Side splitting.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

To me, Will Ferrell is like Tom Cruise...When I see Will Ferrell in a movie,all I see is Will Ferrell and not his character. Same with Tom Cruise. I think a lot of good movies get ruined by big time actors. Valkyrie for example was/is a great story, but I could not see Staufenberg. All I saw was Tom Cruise in a costume. Will Ferrell has the same effect on me. He is funny, but the character he is trying to play is hard to see in my opinion.
On a side note... Is anyone else happy Adam Sandler hasn't been "acting" lately? I think if I saw him in public, I would have a hard time keeping myself from punching him. Just saying.

On a side note... Is anyone else happy Adam Sandler hasn't been "acting" lately? I think if I saw him in public, I would have a hard time keeping myself from punching him. Just saying.

Sandler i will just call bad names since he is one small step better than Ben Stiller. Stiller i would knock out and wait till he regains consiousness and punch him again.

Ferrell (Stranger Than Fiction) and Sandler (Reign Over Me and Spanglish) are such good dramatic actors. I wish they would do more of that.

As far as movies I hate that my friends love... John Carter.

Arrival.
There. I said it.
It's not a terrible movie but it's not nearly as good as people say it is.
The positives: Amy Adams has a good performance and an interesting character arc. Some of the initial treatment of linguistics is interesting. Alien design is pretty cool. I do like the mood set by the drab color palette. Surprising plot twist. That is all.
The negatives: everything else. Every single character besides Amy Adams is one dimensional. It's a naïve treatment of government and military to show their behavior consistent with the archetype even when it violates common sense. It's a waste of Forest Whitaker to have him play such a flat role. There isn't much of a story either - it's basically a novel character study dressed up as a science fiction movie.

It's a film that really rests on a big twist which unmasks the movie as a character study. It's an intriguing and poignant revelation, to be sure, but that's all it has going for it.

To me, Will Ferrell is like Tom Cruise...When I see Will Ferrell in a movie,all I see is Will Ferrell and not his character. Same with Tom Cruise. I think a lot of good movies get ruined by big time actors. Valkyrie for example was/is a great story, but I could not see Staufenberg. All I saw was Tom Cruise in a costume. Will Ferrell has the same effect on me. He is funny, but the character he is trying to play is hard to see in my opinion.

This is a problem I have with a lot of big time actors these days. For me, most recent one is Jen Lawrence. I get tired of hearing and reading about them, especially seeing them in multiple movies in such few years. Because of that, I couldn't make it past 10 minutes of the last Hunger Games movie, which some of you are talking about. The 10 minutes of dialogue I did make it through were so damn boring.

The road: it was a terrible book that got all sorts of good reviews and it's a terrible movie that got moderate reviews. Only good thing out of it was it brought a good but of money to PA for filming. Will Ferrell movies are like Sandler's: crass and disgusting at best. It goes to show the lack of talent former SNL cast members have.

Unbreakable. It seems like material for a good Twilight Zone episode but I expect more from a whole movie.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back