Movies you hate that everyone else likes

I'm too lazy to check to see if I've replied in this thread yet so I'll say what I always say when a question like this comes up: I hate Cloverfield. Absolutely find it shallow, vapid, and just plain dumb on all fronts. I find the original concept attractive: a Godzilla found-footage movie from the viewpoint of the people. However, where the story goes and the stupid, young, yuppie you follow just kill it from frame 1.

I honestly don't get the love for this movie that it got, and then extending love for JJ Abrams. Since I'm on the subject; that guy's got a pretty weak track record. I understand he makes a great studio director, being able to make movies fast and in-line with what producers want, but everything he's been a part of has been mediocre, at best.

A good friend and I agree that Brooks needs co-writers who have a sense of humor that is different from his own. On Blazing Saddles one of the co-writers was Richard Pryor, who created the Mongo character and the line "Mongo only pawn in game of life," (and who, I'm sure, helped to make sure the racial humor was not only not malicious, but made the Caucasian characters look bad). And on Young Frankenstein, Gene Wilder was one of the co-writers; the argument between Wilder and Brooks about the "Puttin' on the Ritz" scene has become legendary and, fortunately, forced Brooks to admit he was wrong. Brooks is a great idea man who can come up with good jokes and gags on his own, but much of the time he needs someone to "punch up" his material.

After reading your recommendation, I found it on You Tube. Nicely done; the vocalist reminded me a little of Danny Elfman when he was with Oingo Boingo.

Yeah, my recollection is that, on Men in Tights, for example, the humor was just...off. Paced wrong. For example, there's a scene where Robin helps Marion off her horse, and Little Jon helps Marion's governess off. The governess is a big woman, so they go for the "fat joke" sight gag of Little Jon falling down as he tries to help her, and her falling on top of him. They shoot the scene at first from, like, Little Jon's shoulder height, so they basically just fall out of frame. It's fine for a sight gag (assuming you aren't bothered by "fat jokes"), and it happens in an instant. Joke's over, right? They should cut to the next scene, right? Wrong. They cut to her lying on top of him on the ground, with her apparently smitten by him, saying something like "Oh, thank you kind sir for catching me" and basically making eyes at him, while he's polite but can't breathe. I mean, great. We already got it. She's fat. Ha ha. All this does is kill the humor of the scene. The movie was FULL of that kind of stuff, as I recall, and I actually liked a lot of Mel Brooks' stuff when I was younger and watching his earlier things. Spaceballs has several scenes like this, too. Some are really funny, but a lot of them drag on too long like a bad SNL sketch.

Spaceballs was indeed a bit disappointing after what Brooks was doing a decade earlier. Brooks seems like one more genius whose success eventually allowed him to get away from the curcumstances that fostered it. Just like George Lucas himself.

But even so, I'm disappointed we never got Sb2:The Search for More Money. The SW prequels really needed making fun of.

As far as Brooks goes I *LOVE* Blazing Saddles, really like The Producers, Young Frankenstein, and Spaceballs. Spaceballs is easily the weakest of those but it has a few scenes that are just brilliant.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

...But even so, I'm disappointed we never got Sb2:The Search for More Money. The SW prequels really needed making fun of.
I don't disagree, but Brooks isn't the guy to make that movie. The aforementioned friend and I also have a theory that Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein were so good because Brooks was/is a fan of the western and classic horror genres--he understood what made them work, so he was able to parody them well. But with Spaceballs that affection for the sci-fi genre, and of Star Wars in particular, is really lacking, and it shows in the way many of the jokes and gags miss the mark.

Please add me to the I hate 2001 club. Most overrated movie of all time. Great special effect though.

Any movie where the main character(s) is/are both arrogant and infallibly clever (an typically very attractive) - especially when they support the premise by making everyone else around them especially stupid.

e.g.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Now You See Me
Confidence

Deadpool, X-Men: Days of Future Past, if I can add a few TV shows too, The Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones. I just don't understand the appeal of those two shows. I read the first graphic novel from The Walking Dead and enjoyed it enough, but it wasn't anything special to me. The show is about 40 minutes of filler and then 10 minutes of actual story. I read 90 pages of the first Game of Thrones novel and found it to be pretentious and void of any characters that I liked, even remotely. I saw the pilot and was equally unimpressed. It came across as violence for violence's sake, and sex for shock value rather than to advance the story. I just wanted all the characters to die so that it would all be over.

I know people love these but they are just not for me.

X-Men: First Class - What a complete waste of a character like Havok who was more compelling as a character and in his design in the comics - especially the Neal Adams run. They made his powers so dumb and conjured an even dumber back story. It's about as bad as giving Deadpool eye beams.

Last edited:
Kick-Ass - so cloyingly eager to be perceived a dark comedy but is built on a pretty conventional story arc.

(James Gunn's Super, on a tenth of the budget of Kick-Ass, has much more intelligence, wit, heart and balls)

Personally First Class is my favorite of the X-Men movies because it's mostly about Xavier and Magneto, which to my mind is the heart and soul of the series. The idea that you have two friends who are diametrically opposed to one another in that one feels that mutants can live equally among humans, and the other who feels that humanity is beneath mutant kind.

Havoc wasn't super developed, but it doesn't bother me as much, perhaps because I'm not well versed with the comic books.

I hate superhero movies! I don't mind guys with superpowers (I enjoy shows and movies like The 4400, Heroes or Terminator), but I don't like guys with huge muscles, walking or flying around in ridiculous costumes. That's so 1930s!

The notebook.

I didn't see it until recently and I was surprised how low budget it felt. It felt like a movie of the week

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Apocalypse Now

It's easily one of the most pretentious movies I've ever seen and the ending is sooooo flat.

Yeah.... going in I kept thinking how awesome it would be, a movie that is quote quite a lot, great actors and all that. NOPE. All I remember is me thinking "is everyone in this flick an effin lunatic?". Well, and Wagner's music of course.

Jurassic Park. for some reason it just annoys me. never cared for it. even the score annoys me.

For real? You are a very unique individual ;) at least in my eyes :p
Never heard such a thing before about JP.

Any Harry Potter movie, I've tried watching so many of them but they just aren't my thing, while everyone around me is crazy about them and they can't even understand how someone can't like those movies.
Deadpool too, I liked, maybe the last 20-30 minutes but the first 1.5 hours was soooo boring, I borrowed it on DVD from a friend and multiple times I just wanted to turn it off because I didn't like it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back