Length of DY-100 SS Botany Bay

Model T dash.
668large1923fordmodeltd.jpg

6-71 blower
pb083000.jpg

pb083003.jpg

Oil pan
oilpan.jpg

This looks close, but then a lot of oil pans look the same. It looks like the BB has two different types.

Then there is the valve covers
orangevalvecoversonengi.jpg

On this engine it's the orange part on top of the aluminum part(head). This isn't the same part, but it has a similar bolt pattern to the ones on the BB. To me the BB covers look like they came from a truck. I couldn't find anything close, maybe somebody could ask Jay Leno.
bb13i.jpg

Scott since you said parts from a model T, I'm guessing some of these parts are from some T bucket kit from the 60's.

Any guesses?

Scott let me scan some of those photos for my studio scale replica that is (still) in the works. I have ID'd most of the kit parts and the good news is most of them are readily available.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gene

Continuing on this thread -

The louvers seem to be hand carved or some type of decoration that was applied. The ribbed sections can be replicated with K&S corrugated sheet metal - (used for making HO scale Quonset huts or corrugated roofs).

I'm using the same stamped brass as has been found here, though I suspect the original stuff was also the same style as was used on the Enterprise itself.

Using Phil broad's photos as reference, I came up with sizes varying from 42"-50". At the time, I figured it would be a standard imperial measurement, so I picked the arbitrary length of 4'. When Scott's photos turned up, I discovered it was indeed 43". Where they came up with that length, I don't know. So, basically, I've gotten the body roughed in on a 110% studio scale replica.

Gene

The more i see the rear, lower, middle part the more i say Hilbourne fuel injection intake manifold from a dragster. The kind with velocity stacks. You can see the cylinder offset between sides. Either that or an F1 style engine with air trumpets. The oil pan may be in the dragster kit. It doesn't look like an F1 type sump pan. Great pics Gene and Scott, thanks for sharing.

I'm using the same stamped brass as has been found here, though I suspect the original stuff was also the same style as was used on the Enterprise itself.
The stamped brass or slotted perforated sheet as it's called in industry. Is a very common thing only in much larger sizes. I was hoping it was more common so I could pick it up in a larger size than 6"x12". The original E did use it, both of my E models have the same pattern.

Thanks a lot for the info guys, at least I know I'll get it right this time. :lol

If those short air trumpets belong to the intake then i'm guessing an F1 or indy type engine. Also the intake only has 4 attaching holes and there are 8 trumpets so there should be a fuel rail in between them, again leading me to a high reving engine. It also could be a Webber carb intake setup. They also use the short trumpets.

I've always felt that recognizing kit parts isn't the only way to ID parts. Knowing what the real world items are can provide valuable clues. So, based on the deductions so far, what dragster kits were available in the mid-60's? Judging from the relative size, I would venture a guess that we are looking for a regular 1/24th scale kit.

Gene

The "Stacks" as they are called are used a lot on hod rods and other performance engines. The term stack is used because everything is stacked up on top on an engine. Besides it looks like smoke stacks(it's a bad day when smoke is coming out of them:lol).

downdraft.jpg

This is a modern setup, the assembly below the horns is what we are looking for. Which will look something like this.

One of you guys will be able to do this better.
manifoldz.jpg

I did this real quick, so sorry about all of the white area and low image quality.
That is without a doubt an intake manifold, the sides are angled to match up with a set of heads(it looks like the sacks are angled inward). It looks like one piece, so now it's a matter of tracking down what kits used this part.

I think it's from a hot rod kit.

I had a friend by this evening who has built a lot of car kits.
He thinks the valve covers are from an AMT kit.
bb13i.jpg

He said the indent in the middle is for the breathers(vents). And he has made some AMT kits that did that very thing. But nothing to his memory about which kits, and he did add that he thinks the parts are from a big block Ford(but don't hold him to that).

Has anybody asked about these parts around the car modelers boards?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back