Food safe resin?

Interesting...I've honestly never used any that didn't. I guess I'll amend that to "if you're using a typical hobbyist brand, it should be OK." :lol

The stuff I regularly use has about zero bonding to itself normally... I have made numerous small 2 part molds without release between the layers, and it's like pealing up a sticker to separate the two halves...

The only way I can get it to bond to itself is to add a cure accelerator, don't know what that changes but it increases the bond... But it's hairy stuff to work with in small amounts, one drop or two in a small mixture can take your 12 hour silicone down to a few minutes...

To the best of my knowledge Smooth On does bond to itself...

I never thought that getting the materials would be harder than doing the actual work. :unsure

I went back to the modelling store where I'd gotten the molding rubber and they didn't have any, but would order it. (Due in Wednesday, we'll call you when its in)

I hadn't heard from them, so I called today. (Oh, yeah... That's in)

I stopped by at lunch, they'd ordered the molding plastic, not the molding rubber. (Now due in Monday)

I tried ordering the Steralloy, they can't ship it FedEx Ground to a residential address because it's a hazmat. (Anyone else find irony in a food safe plastic being hazmat? :rolleyes )

If I ship FedEx Express (or Priority) I can have it held for pickup at the local depot, which will only(!) cost me about $30 more in shipping.

Nothing insurmountable, but sometimes I have to wonder if it's even worth gnawing through the straps in the morning!

MM

Hi. I’m with Hapco, the manufacturer of Steralloy casting resins, and wanted to explain the Hazmat shipping requirements. These materials are two part reactive systems and the individual components do contain chemicals which the Federal Regulations require to be shipped HazMat. It does certainly seem ironic but once the components polymerize in the curing process they form a safe, inert plastic material. This is somewhat analogous to sodium and chloride both being dangerous alone, but when combined make table salt.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back