Harry Potter free paper props - all movies and more!

Looking good ec. Thanks for the file. If it's okay with you I'll use it to add the spine and back cover to and repost??

Also, here's a whacky idea...what if the ART covers formed a box with flash cards inside them instead of a conventional book? Too far outside the box??

bfd

Sure go right ahead!

The flash card idea is pretty cool, and would make a lot of sense as a runes learning tool! It would be interesting if the center of the pages inside were cut out for the cards to sit in. So the sides of the book still look like a book.

By the way, does anyone have a graphic of this rune? I'm guessing it's a known rune. I could draw it from scratch but I figure someone might have a reference of it.

cHFbtJ.png

Last edited:
Thanks wooze. That's how I feel too. Not tryin' to steal anyone's thunder, just tryin' to help make this prop as accurate as possible to the original.

bfd

@bluebird, i have found it from a prop seller on ebay. he sells screen used props and this was one of them. i posted the link of it in my previous posts. one piece of it is about 600 pounds. so it is a really precious paper prop.
@TB-7021, you are welcome, anytime :)

omg i go just a few days and see what happens here!

great work ECL! unfogging the future idea is absolutely brilliant! it looks so professional. i want to try it also. i have a spray paint bottle for painting
metalic items. would it be OK to paint paper with that? what do you think? it is a metal painting spray.
btw i am glad that you are finally back in making book props again :love there will be lots of inspiration for us i am sure.
about advanced rune translation, it is also wonderful! yours look absolutely like original copy. thats what i call talent :)

once i have made a copy of it. here i show with the copy of the oracle of palombo (here i want to thank Barney again and again)
i have made it in a very little time, in a rush, so does not look so good but the good point is it looks so old that way :D it looks better from far away in the bundle of the other books lol :D

View attachment 397134View attachment 397135View attachment 397136View attachment 397137View attachment 397133
awesome collection btw is the quidditch book here the one i made?

So I basically finished the Advanced Rune book today! I felt like I was going nuts cutting the pages out, so I felt the need to push this thing as fast as I could. I consider this one more of a closed prop, and less of a functional book. All I did to keep the pages together was hot gluing the spine, which works perfectly well when it's closed; it opens up okay too, but I'm pretty sure at some point, the pages will start to fall out if I flip through it haha. It's more of a "semi-functional" book; a prop object. I started to wonder if the original was a found item that had the cover art modified. It's a very odd piece!

I used bfd's spine graphic, printed it out on a piece of inkjet printable fabric (can buy from michaels; check the t-shirt printing section). I was going to use some gold heat transfer foil, but I ran out, so I painted over it with gold paint, which honestly worked just as well. I then gave it a few washes of black paint. The back cover is simply the same graphic as the front, but with the text removed.

Overall this was a really fun book to work on, but given the more custom nature of it, it was also kind of tedious. But it looks great on display! Thanks again to monkeyseb for his photo of the original and bfd for his work on the spine and references!

Pics below :D

3zvsD4.jpg

aLTMyN.jpg

8XhBij.jpg

NT7Z0a.jpg

Last edited:
Ecl, it is time to confess now that you work in mina lima design center :D really i cant find words to describe your work.
you are amazing really. You inspire me to make more props :)

Geeze ec, very nice job. Well above and beyond the usual method of gluing a printout onto a cover. I really like your choice of marbled paper for the inside of the cover as well, nice touch. I can imagine the page cutting was very time consuming and required a good deal of patience, concentration and moving of your tongue into various positions while cutting...LOL

Well, well done, will have a place of pride on your HP bookshelf no doubt.

bfd

Thanks Steve, Lynx and BFD for the comments! This one did start to test my patience a bit, and that was one reason why I had to finish it as quickly as possible. :lol

Funny thing is the first time I saw a photo of this prop, I had actually thought it was some kind of board book, like a children's book for very young kids. Maybe because those can be found cut in weird shapes. But it was worth the time to do this one though, and it kind of reminded me of the Rune Dictionary I had made a while back (which I no longer own, and miss greatly. May need to make another someday.)

Definitely feeling more reinvigorated to make more props, especially after seeing new stuff being posted here, and having recently visited the Diagon Alley park! I'll look into doing some more graphics work so I can post something here.

I've attached a few progress pics for people interested in seeing that.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 30, 15 53 52.jpeg
    Photo Oct 30, 15 53 52.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Photo Oct 30, 16 29 10.jpeg
    Photo Oct 30, 16 29 10.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Photo Oct 30, 16 40 31.jpeg
    Photo Oct 30, 16 40 31.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Photo Oct 30, 19 38 44.jpeg
    Photo Oct 30, 19 38 44.jpeg
    387.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Photo Oct 30, 10 35 55.jpeg
    Photo Oct 30, 10 35 55.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Photo Oct 30, 10 35 23.jpeg
    Photo Oct 30, 10 35 23.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Ecl, very nice job on the Advanced Runes book! Really well done. Are those coins in the last picture from the Noble Collection set?

Also, does anyone have a reference for the packaging for Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder? I found 1 image, but I'm pretty sure someone made it up. Thanks!

Thanks bluebird; the coins are made by "Pobjoy Mint". They were released on cards as either a set of all three or just a galleon. I believe they were also responsible for making some of the coins for the movies. The details on them match the originals spot on from what I've seen! The noble ones unfortunately by comparison differ quite a lot in their design (mostly in the details). I've been trying to look for more, but they're hard to find now. But they do occasionally pop up on ebay.

TB-7021: Wow! Fantastic work :D This is the first time I've seen someone attempt the full graphic including the back cover. It looks beautiful.

TB-7021; wonderful job :thumbsup as Ecl mentioned i have seen first time the full graphic in high resolution.
it looks absolutely great! especially book covers impress me always.
thank you so much for sharing with us. btw i really like your designs so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you guys go to Minalima's website, and go to the Printorium link, you'll find the stationary notebooks replicas for preorder now. They're 24.50 GBP each, about $40 usd. Not too bad, and I was about to order one, BUT, then i noticed the deal breaker for me, the tiny TM mark by "Hogwarts". I can't stand these, and they're the reason why I stay away from official replicas for the most part :( I'll just print my own (bfd posted some very nice ones earlier) :D

TB-7021, spectacular job on the Fantastic Beasts cover, appreciate the share. I had started this one but ran into a wall so I am more than glad you have completed and shared it.

Thanks again.
ecl: thanks for mentioning the covers I posted a while back. These can be printed out on a laser printer and glued to any $1.00 notebook and will look just fine (and as you said, no TM).

bfd

Last edited by a moderator:
ecl-
Wow!!! Great job with the Rune Translation book :love I know what you mean, it does remind me of a children's board book. I guess because of the shaped cover.

TB-7021,
Thanks for sharing the graphics for the Fantastic Beasts book. I had never seen the back of the book before so it is very exciting to see :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back