Tron Quorra Helmet Build

Thermistor

So I've started a Quorra helmet as well as the Daft Punk one I'm working on here.

5467215916_13873c86ff.jpg

5466619179_b569a1a885.jpg

5466619511_578172aefd.jpg

5467216830_66bbb748f8.jpg

I'm making a helmet that will come apart into three sections so that each section can be vacu-formed. I've attached them with staples, then glued the insulating foam on with gorilla glue and begun to shape it. It's obviously rough, but you get the general idea of the approach. The last photo is of the under side.

Got some more shaping done, though I'm focusing on the Daft Punk helmet instead right now. Next is to shape the center piece and build them all up with Bondo.

5551695187_08cfde9c84.jpg

5552281642_0048c4b8b0.jpg

Got some more shaping done, though I'm focusing on the Daft Punk helmet instead right now. Next is to shape the center piece and build them all up with Bondo.

5551695187_08cfde9c84.jpg

5552281642_0048c4b8b0.jpg

you are doing a fantastic job here! So much work. I don't have the time to build my Quorra helmet this way. I purchased the Paper Craft helmet from Prop Zone and going to have to deal with 5 million little pieces and after dealing with that, still figure out what I am going to use to make the helmet out of. I don't have access to a vacuum form. Where did you get yours? Cuz I really would like to go the VF route too. Then tint the helmet with car window tint spray so it looks solid from the outside but you can still see thru the helmet when wearing it.

I've made progress, though I haven't documented it yet. More progress will be posted soon, probably a week from today.

I wanted to know if you vacuum form your helmet in two or three halves, what will you do to bond the VF pieces together so you don't see the center line?

That is the reason I am not sure about VF my Quorra helmet, due to that center line where you bind them together. I want to do mine in two halves. Any good suggestions to hide the connecting pieces on the helmet?

Thanks.

I'm doing mine in three pieces as the center is one interrupted piece. That's why the center part comes out, and it is in keeping with the seams of the original.
As for joining them together, I was going to make an interior seam and either use that 3M weatherstripping adhesive or just heat join them. If they are joined by heating I am just going to heat something metal and squeeze the inner seams together so it doesn't affect the outer finish.

Oh, and as for the vacuum forming, I'm building my own vacuform table and using my oven...! It should take maybe a couple hours to build.

Oh, and as for the vacuum forming, I'm building my own vacuform table and using my oven...! It should take maybe a couple hours to build.

Be careful if using your home oven for doing VF. I heard all the chemicals that emmit from VF stay in the oven, that can go into your food.

This is just what I heard from a friend, makes sense.

Look into it more if you like, but yeah, no way am gonna take the chance on using my home oven for something like that.

I'm doing mine in three pieces as the center is one interrupted piece. That's why the center part comes out, and it is in keeping with the seams of the original.
As for joining them together, I was going to make an interior seam and either use that 3M weatherstripping adhesive or just heat join them. If they are joined by heating I am just going to heat something metal and squeeze the inner seams together so it doesn't affect the outer finish.

Great tip on sealing the finished VF helmet. I have yet to try this myself. :)

the pictures are unavailable and im really interested in seeing them! is there a way you can repost or send them? im new to RPF and im working on a Quorra helmet, myself and would love any help i can get!

So I've started a Quorra helmet as well as the Daft Punk one I'm working on here.

5467215916_13873c86ff.jpg

5466619179_b569a1a885.jpg

5466619511_578172aefd.jpg

5467216830_66bbb748f8.jpg

I'm making a helmet that will come apart into three sections so that each section can be vacu-formed. I've attached them with staples, then glued the insulating foam on with gorilla glue and begun to shape it. It's obviously rough, but you get the general idea of the approach. The last photo is of the under side.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back