Narnia - The Dawn Treader painting

Pete SSS

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello again guys,

Just thought some of you might like to see this quick weekend project I've just finished up, well, in truth, it was about 3 weekends, and a few weekday evenings too...

I nearly posted this in the paper props section, but thought it might be more appropriate here?

So, I've been a fan of the Narnia stories since I was a littl'un, and I have enjoyed the movies too, for what they are. As soon as I heard about the Dawn Treader being made, I thought, "oh cool, an excuse to get a Narnia prop on the wall"

So, after seeing The the film just after Christmas, I was honestly quite disapointed with the way they portrayed the famous painting in the new flick. I like the way the ship came closer as the kids got pulled in, but it was just far too small for my liking. It was totally lost in the big grey sea.
Here's a screen cap from the trailer

narniadawntreader3.jpg

Anyway, those are my excuses as to why the picture I subsequently went home and painted is entirely NOT screen accurate. :lol

I found a nice pic of the ship from a wallpaper image and used that instead to base my painting on.

narniaWall1.jpg

Now, you also have to bear in mind that I have not painted at all since I left school, so please, all you real painters, forgive me! I was given a 16 x 20 inch canvas board by my sister, and she lent me some acrylics, and then I just spent some time on it.

Anyway, here it is finished and framed, altogether not screen accurate, but I'm pretty happy with it.

DSCF2240.jpg

Here's a close up scan of the ship's head, you can really see the canvas texture here.

PaintingScanhead.jpg

And here's a little pic of a full, flat scan

PaintingScansmall.jpg

Well there you go, just a bit of fun to pass the English winter evenings....

Cheers!

Pete SSS Wrote
"you also have to bear in mind that I have not painted at all since I left school"
So you haven't painted in a while?? Oh hell I hate you :) That's a great piece and you should be proud.

I discovered a long time ago that paint, canvas and me are a three things that should never get together.

Terrific idea and work. I agree with you that the ship is lost in the screen cap. Much better to see it closer like you did. I can't do much more than stick figures so I'm envious!

I think it's rather niffty, great job! :thumbsup

I moved to digital painting many moons ago, so I also commend you on using traditional media for your piece.

Thanks guys, like I say, it was just a bit of fun really. It was good to have a go with a brush again, it's been about 9 years since my art A level. Even back then, I focused on sculpture not painting, so it it nice to dabble with it again. I've got a bit of a craving to do another painting, not sure what though...

I love your painting! Ever since I saw the movie, I have been trying to find a copy or reproduction. I like your version better than the movie version. Are you interested in selling it?

I love your painting! Ever since I saw the movie, I have been trying to find a copy or reproduction. I like your version better than the movie version. Are you interested in selling it?

I second this... Perhaps you would be interested in doing a small run?

Heh, it's always nice to see an old thread bumped again.

I have got a very high res scan of this painting stashed somewhere on my hard drive. I don't really have the time right now to source a printer, but I'll PM you about working something out.

Cheers

Great painting, really like your colours and blending! As it happens, I now do a lot of work in fine art printing. PM me if you want to chat about doing a set of prints.

Beautiful job,Pete !! I have an 8 x 10 scan of the screen painting framed and on the wall,but they should have gotten you to do the movie painting !!

I realize I'm a couple of years late to this party, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE this and I would LOVE to talk with you about buying a copy of the high res scan.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back