Tom Baker Coat Questions.

tk6214

Alright RPFer's I have questions for you. I am trying to get a Tom Baker coat and I found this from a previous thread: 4th Dr Who Coat pictures but the color doesn't look right.

I then stumbled upon this Dr Who 4th Doctor Who Tom Baker Red Corduroy coat by cosplaysky
It looks like the right color and fabric but I think that the elbow pads are huge.

My wife thinks that these are not the proper coats due to the flaps on the pockets. I think that the traditional safari coat with the pocket flaps are proper.
what she wants to be proven wrong is a clear shot of Baker wearing the coat with the flaps, all of them showing.
Help. Me.

Alright RPFer's I have questions for you. I am trying to get a Tom Baker coat and I found this from a previous thread: 4th Dr Who Coat pictures but the color doesn't look right.

I then stumbled upon this Dr Who 4th Doctor Who Tom Baker Red Corduroy coat by cosplaysky
It looks like the right color and fabric but I think that the elbow pads are huge.

My wife thinks that these are not the proper coats due to the flaps on the pockets. I think that the traditional safari coat with the pocket flaps are proper.
what she wants to be proven wrong is a clear shot of Baker wearing the coat with the flaps, all of them showing.
Help. Me.

Thanks for the Cosplay Sky Link. I'll add it to the LJ Four Breakdown. Always good to have options.

Baron make clothes bespoke- so if you want it in a darker red, just ask them (or provide your preferred fabric yourself) and they'll accomodate you. What you see as an example doesn't have to be the exact thing you get.

The Cosplay sky coat is a little better color-wise but leaves a lot to be desired otherwise. They made the sleeve 'flap' a full on buttoned pocket. Ugh. And you're right, the elbow patches are too large, oddly shaped and the wrong color, etc. Again though maybe you could ask for some changes. And it's hard to not at least consider it for the price.

Flaps on all four pockets on safari jackets is standard and Tom's jacket did indeed have these. it's easy to see on the top two pockets, but easy to miss on the lower two pockets due to the scarf and the fact he almost always wore it open with the flap tucked in for better access to props like Jelly babies and the Sonic Screwdriver. You factor in shadow and lighting and it's easy to not register they're there. Like here:

9793215_8e7309b21b.jpg

Here are some shots that show the bottom flaps (albiet till open but there).

9793211_4dc73bdbe0.jpg

9793213_2f92f878fa.jpg

9793214_9cf6573bdd.jpg

9793217_f62ea276b7.jpg

9793209_e66d44c405.jpg

And shots of the top pockets (usually closed most of the time anyway)

9793303_9ec766e5a6.jpg

9793305_7786111b54.jpg

9793306_2906440fbc.jpg

Last edited:
Happy to help. I drove myself crazy over this jacket two years ago when I had mine made so I feel the pain.

Agreed David, I love it too, I wear mine from time to time without the full outfit for fun, it's very baggy and comfy.

It LOOKS comfy and is not quite as "formal" as his later long frock coats. I think that's why this 4th Doctor look is so popular. I do really like his later coats in brown velvet and tweed. I know that Magnoli and Baron Boutique have done his grey will with brown piping coat he wore in season 16-17. Hopefull one day one of them will also do one of their brown velvet frock coats. Mister Anthony formal wear has one on their website but it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and trying to find someone on ebay.co.uk who will give up one for cheap is almost impossible.

I have, however, been pretty lucky in finding some impossible things . . . :love

I suspect the reason the Season 12 look is popular is because of the difference it has to his later costumes and the fact it's associated with his first season and so many great stories. To me it's his Definitive look. However I love his frock coat in brown velvet as well.

Baron and Magnoli would probably do the other varients of his frock- all it take is someone to take the plunge and commission one. They don't make garment 'on spec'. They seemed very open to doing them when i was askig about it over a year ago. But there's always other options too.

If you're looking to save money Anthony's isn't a bad route when they go on clearance. But I'm more of a mind to save up and have it done properly.

Yes, I was the one who ordered the commission for the 16-17 , we went through multiple pictures and fabrics and in the end Indy came up with a great piece or work, i love the coat very much so, it was truly worth the miney as it is one of a kind, ( funny thing is the coat is actually brownish tan, but the cameras and lighting make it look grey, you het the same problem with ghostbuster flightsuits )

Best bet would he as others have said, save up money and commission somone to make one for you .

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back