Mister Rogers' Neighborhood - Trolley and the Puppets

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anyone who grew up in the last quarter century has got to have a soft spot for this show and all the strange objects involved in the worlds Fred Rogers created.

Any know anything about trolley or the puppets construction or origins?

The designs are very strange but wonderful and an essential part of American culture.

Nick

1574567469885.png

4493.jpg

1574567435933.png

rogers_puppets.jpg

Last edited:
No new insight to this, but am greatly looking forward to learning whatever this thread brings to light.
I've tried gathering reference material over the past year or so in an attempt to make the trolley and possibly puppets. I'm actually shocked I haven't been able to find exact plans online as to how to make the Trolley, perhaps someone here may be aware of some that I'm not.

I always wanted a set of the model houses from his kitchen he used ( The ones on the shelves)

I also would enjoy a set of all the puppets. This show was iconic part of many kids childhood.

I visited the set and got to play with around with the trolley and most of the puppets when I was much younger, I think it was 1991 or 1992. I know that my parents unearthed some of the photos from that visit recently, so I'll see what I can add to this thread. Without the photos though, the first thing I remember noticing about the puppets when I got to handle them was that the mechanism inside was not standard. It looked and felt as if it had be molded around the shape of Fred Rogers hand.

I can also tell you that I know for sure that there was more than one trolley because I accidentally crashed the one that was on the tracks (I was 9 at the time) and they had to come over with a spare while they repaired the one I damaged.

Also, I have one or two of the Speedy Delivery messenger bags given to me by David Newell AKA Mr. McFeely. I could definitely get detailed photos of these, but I don't know if they're licensed items or something else.

I always wanted a set of the model houses from his kitchen he used ( The ones on the shelves)

I also would enjoy a set of all the puppets. This show was iconic part of many kids childhood.

I'm going to be scupting them in the next couple weeks and selling resin casts of them. I too have wanted them for a long while.

Here's the best reference images I've got:
snapshot20100910202638.jpg

lawrencemartin25.jpg

29164712039c9248d16c.jpg

2917336828a3caf87332b.jpg

2916491295bfc4008f78b.jpg

Oh, and if any of you are interested, I made a papercraft Trolley a couple weeks back because I was terribly bored.
improved_papercraft_trolley_by_johnnymuffintop-d36qd4r.png

The original Mister Rogers Neighborhood puppets are on display at The Fred Rogers Center at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, PA.

Fred Rogers Center - Fred Rogers Exhibit

The trolley is or was on display, too.

The poster of Fred Rogers surrounded by the puppets and trolley (shown in the first post in this thread...and also seen in the PBS pledge drive episode of "Seinfeld") is still available from the late Fred Rogers' company:

Family Communications, Inc. >> Collectibles >> We're Glad To Be Your Neighbor Poster

Atlanta's Center for Puppetry Arts had a tribute to Fred Rogers last year, which I attended and thoroughly enjoyed. David Newell, who played Mr. McFeeley ("Speedy Delivery"), was there and showed videos, rare pix, early versions of some of the puppets, and told stories about the show and Fred Rogers.

Pumpernickel

Last edited:
Love your story about destroying the trolley prop. :lol I'll bet that caused a calamity on the set. Would love to see your photos. Regards,

Pumpernickel

I visited the set and got to play with around with the trolley and most of the puppets when I was much younger, I think it was 1991 or 1992. I know that my parents unearthed some of the photos from that visit recently, so I'll see what I can add to this thread. Without the photos though, the first thing I remember noticing about the puppets when I got to handle them was that the mechanism inside was not standard. It looked and felt as if it had be molded around the shape of Fred Rogers hand.

I can also tell you that I know for sure that there was more than one trolley because I accidentally crashed the one that was on the tracks (I was 9 at the time) and they had to come over with a spare while they repaired the one I damaged.

Also, I have one or two of the Speedy Delivery messenger bags given to me by David Newell AKA Mr. McFeely. I could definitely get detailed photos of these, but I don't know if they're licensed items or something else.

The Pittsburgh PBS station made a Fred Rogers biography special several years ago. If I'm remembering correctly, some of the early versions of the puppets were store bought, later to be replaced with replicas, perhaps made by staff at the station.
I've met David Newell on several occasions working events for PBS. Sadly he looked to be wearing an original messenger outfit which had seen better days.
I also met Joe Negri once when I worked at a Radio Shack in PGH. My manager INSTANTLY recognized him. It took me a second, but it did bring back memories of watching the show as a kid.

Idlewild Park in Ligonier PA has a Mister Roger ride and attraction area
Idlewild and SoakZone // In the Park

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood of Make-Believe
It's a Hug-N-Song Party!
Based upon the popular children's show, this one-of-a-kind attraction takes children and parents on a life-size trolley ride through the well-known "Neighborhood of Make-Believe". Guests can meet and converse with many of their Neighborhood friends.

Featuring

* King Friday XIII
* X the Owl
* Henrietta Pussycat
* Lady Elaine Fairchilde
* Cornflake S. Pecially (Corney)
* The Platapus Family
* Queen Sarah Saturday
* Prince Tuesday
* and Daniel Striped Tiger

Being from western PA, we went many times and the whole park is a fun and relaxing place;
not as "high-intensity" as larger theme parks.

Mike

:eek You have WHAT?!

Where are those models of everything in the Land of Make Believe that Mr. Rogers had on the shelves in his kitchen?? I have wanted those models since I was like 5 years old!! :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back