Gladiator helmet

The screen used prop was fg, however as a replica it looks more authentic in steel, I think. Idealised, yes, but more impressive in person.

Are these recasts of the factory X piece?

That guy's been selling them on eBay for awhile, right?

I think he also sells a LOTR Elf helmet.

To my eye, they look REALLY oversized.

My 2 cents

brad

Yeah - I think the Factory X was oversized, probably so people could actually wear it.

The screen used helmet was made to fit Russell Crowe's head very closely, I read, so much so that it had to be assembled on his head rather then put on in the traditional sense.

Because of the pointed peak at the top of the helmet, hinging the faceplate enough to fit over the head would be almost impossible if the helmet was the screen used size. Unless someone came up with a really inventive way to hinge it!

I don't know about the Elf helmet - did any licensee actually produce those? UC maybe?

I believe that the screen used helmet was made of rubber. Based on this interview with costume designer Janty Yates and a Gladiator costume exhibit write up.

Gloss - latest fashion, beauty tips, health advice, celebrity gossip and more... - Interview with Hollywood Costume Designer, Janty Yates

Presumably comfort is a big factor. You’ve mentioned the chain mail is made of plastic. What about the helmets?
(Laughs) They’re made from car bumper rubber! We actually perfected this when we were making Gladiator. We had a lot of originals cast in steel but that wasn’t going to work because it’s too heavy. The other way to go was to use fibreglass but that can break and shatter so we came up with the idea of using rubber that they normally use for car bumpers. It works perfectly. We get originals made by this wonderful place in Prague – they are still churning out the most beautiful armour in the Czech Republic – and then we have them moulded and make multiples of the helmets we need for our armies. We had about 20 designs from the period and cast them in car bumper rubber. I think we had about 2,000 helmets made for Kingdom of Heaven and when we wanted to rent them back, there were about 500 left because they get used on other shoots, they get lost or damaged. So we probably had to have another 1,000 to 1,500 made.

The helmet in the ebay link looks like it is a fiberglass cast of the Factory-X helmet. It has that same oversized look of the Factory-X.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back