The GOONIES.... Data's Compass <----

VoiceMan

Hey all, for all of you whom have ever wondered about Data's compass I just found one on ebay...turns out it is still a very common model. I bought mine for $3.40 cheap...and that was with the shipping. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning this prop in particular so I thought it would be worthwhile to to post the info... I've thought in the past about this prop...but I got the idea for this prop after watching the movie with my nephew recently <he's 10...was his first time to see the movie and he loved it, he was quoting the movie left and right afterwards..lol...and said "That is the best movie ever...> Good Luck. P.S. This style is referred to as a "Hiking Compass"....this was how I phrased my search on ebay, may also be listed as a "3 in 1" or even "Military Style".

Last edited:
Anyone have some screencaps? There are a few different versions and i don't know which is correct. I do have this one here and the letters are different that what you posted.

compass.jpg

I'm about 100% sure the movie never showed the face of his compass...so I don't see how/why the letter styling would be anything of importance. The body/case was all I saw in the movie when I viewed that scene frame by frame. I guess what would be important is who the first maker of this compass style was...But, then again too, whats to say that this was'nt also a common style by various makers back in 1985 just as it is today??? From what I've seen there are several different makers/variations of this style compass...However, the only variations between them are so miniscule and minute...and these are also differences that are'nt even visible in the film...what is important is the case style and for those of you have searched for one I'm sure you'll see they are pretty much all the same.

Last edited:
Just got mine....looks great. A great cheap prop from a great movie...if not the Best Movie Ever...lol

Anyone have some screencaps? There are a few different versions and i don't know which is correct. I do have this one here and the letters are different that what you posted.

compass.jpg

Last edited:
mine is the one in my first image....not the image provided by another member....but they all are great. depends on how much you wanna spend. theres a german model... <$30> i think they too are also made in china ....i paid less than $5 for mine....it all metal and ill use it camping etc....best of luck fellas... lemme know of your finds/ thoughts etc. my model is a Stanspoort.

Last edited:
Wow.....im really surprised with all of you Goonie fans..I've only had 2 measly wee little comments on this topic, aside from my own comments. LOL.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back