The Hobbit - starts filming March 21

nwjedidave

Sr Member
All over the web.

theonering.net

Monday 7 February, Wellington – Production company, 3Foot7 Ltd, is pleased to announce that the first day of principal photography for THE HOBBIT will be Monday 21 March, 2011.
This date has been chosen following practical considerations of the filming schedule requirements, actor availability and the NZ seasons. Shooting will take place at Stone Street Studios in Miramar and on location around New Zealand.
Confirmed cast include: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, Graham McTavish, William Kircher, James Nesbitt, Stephen Hunter, Rob Kazinsky, Aidan Turner, Peter Hambleton, John Callen, Jed Brophy, Mark Hadlow, Adam Brown, Cate Blanchett, Andy Serkis, Mikael Persbrant, Sylvester McCoy and Elijah Wood. Director, Sir Peter Jackson, comments: “Despite some delays we are fully back on track and very excited to get started.”

Break a leg for all those RPFers down there that are working on the project! (looks like my New Zealand trip is delayed the next 2-3 months! LOL)

From: nzherald.co.nz: Hobbiton, near Matamata, has announced it will be closed for five weeks from February 14 – almost certainly meaning filming of The Hobbit is about to start. No one is confirming a start date, but Matamata-Piako Mayor Hugh Vercoe said he understood production was due to begin shortly and it would be a closed set.

Wait...

Why is Elijah wood in it? :confused

They replaced Bilbo but not Frodo?

I know they age different than humans but I really thought he would be played by a child actor this time. If anything.

Last edited:
Wait...

Why is Elijah wood in it? :confused

They replaced Bilbo but not Frodo?

I know they age different than humans but I really thought he would be played by a child actor this time. If anything.

Never mind the fact that Frodo wasn't born yet when The Hobbit takes place.

Probably for bridging material, who knows?

Thanks for the heads up CTF. It's been a long time since I read the books or seen the toon. IDK why but I thought Frodo was already born in the hobbit.

No sweat.

Having been privy to a lot of pre-production work, I'm quite excited about seeing it; working on it should be fun, too.

It will be interesting to see what they kept, or if any - of the G.D.T. stuff for the films. Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD commentary.

My biggest prayer for these movies from the get-go is that they tie SEAMLESSLY in with the Trilogy.
Having Frodo MIGHT actually make that better.
Also having Mckellan is going to help of course.

This is awesome. "The Hobbit" was my first sampling of Tolkien when I was little, so I'm hella-excited for this.

And sorry if I've missed it in any of the available info, but have they said (or even hinted at) who would be voicing Smaug?

EDIT: Oooh, IMDB "rumors" it to be Leonard Nimoy. That will be epic.

EPIC, I says.

Peter Jackson | Facebook
Peter Jackson's new official Facebook page

PRODUCTION BEGINS IN NEW ZEALAND ON THE HOBBIT | Facebook
Production Begins in New Zealand on The Hobbit

peter_jackson_lotr_hobbit.png

I know Peter was in the hospital for a short time, but he looks so much better in the current picture. I can't wait to see some of the actors in costume.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back