The Hobbit - starts filming March 21

Yes but The Hobbit is a MUCH shorter book than LotR. Try about 700+ pages shorter. Though he is adding alot of appendices, it's still a stretch. Though more time in Middle Earth can't be complained about too much!

Just got this poster in the mail!
76800_783005374485_835637565_n.jpg

The sword in the bottom image on the table looks like the Witch King's, but I can't exactly tell.

Very nice, utterly sidelines the main theme of the Hobbit, but nice in a very sideline fashion.

I just hope it won't be another 2.5 movies expanding on Lord of the Rings with the Hobbit squeezed in as an afterthought.

...I just hope it won't be another 2.5 movies expanding on Lord of the Rings with the Hobbit squeezed in as an afterthought...

I don't think it'll be quite that dramatic, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 50/50 split between Hobbit and "other stuff." As long as they keep the feel of the Hobbit book when those scenes are in play, I'll be happy. To loosely paraphrase what CelticRuins said above, more time in ME is a good thing. :)

Very nice, utterly sidelines the main theme of the Hobbit, but nice in a very sideline fashion.

I just hope it won't be another 2.5 movies expanding on Lord of the Rings with the Hobbit squeezed in as an afterthought.

Think of it as the Hobbit + a buffer zone. In order for it to flow right into LotR, cover ALL the bases and make the a-typical movie goer make sense of the story line, a bit of the excess story line has to be integrated. You can't have movie goers wondering where the hell Gandalf goes when he constantly disappears in the Hobbit.

Also, I really think PJ is doing this FOR the fans because we love the world and material so much. So many people have wanted to see the appendices come to life, or parts of the Sil. It makes sense for more additions than not, or you'd have huge gaps.

Just to be clear, the LOTR-heavy poster posted above is not part of the "official" studio ad campaign for the Hobbit. Might be something WETA threw together for the fans. More likely it's fan-produced.

Just to be clear, the LOTR-heavy poster posted above is not part of the "official" studio ad campaign for the Hobbit. Might be something WETA threw together for the fans. More likely it's fan-produced.

It's not fan produced, it's an official poster for the first movie. It depicts the White Council themes that ARE in fact, part of the first movie, and part of the story line.

Very much like with LotR, the poster campaigns will have many different scenes depicted on each one. I have several officially licensed FotR posters that are different scenes from the movie. Just because it's not BILLBBBOOOO or DWWARVVESS emblazoned on the poster, doesn't mean it isn't part of the film.

Again, anyone that's mad with the additions, obviously hasn't read the appendices of LotR. There's whole back stories and timelines there that take place DURING the Hobbit. Leaving those out would leave the gaps in the story line that were there before, during and after the Hobbit. Tolkien WROTE these things. That's the reason why they're there.

Last edited:
It's not fan produced, it's an official poster for the first movie. It depicts the White Council themes that ARE in fact, part of the first movie, and part of the story line.

I'm not disputing the inclusion of characters and themes from the LOTR appendices.

My point was simply that the so-called White Council poster is a piece of merchandizing as opposed to a piece of advertising, i.e. a “poster” as opposed to a “one sheet” (a fact which would explain the lack of release date and/or billing block). It appears to have been created by an outfit called “Starfire Prints”…

StarFire Prints - Pictures and photos printed on crystal glass

Sorry to be splitting Hobbit hair, but as one of the guys who created the “official” Hobbit one sheets it’s a distinction I felt obliged to make. :)

The Bulldog Agency

My point was simply that the so-called White Council poster is a piece of merchandizing as opposed to a piece of advertising, i.e. a “poster” as opposed to a “one sheet” (a fact which would explain the lack of release date and/or billing block).

Thanks for that clarification Carson. Your explanation is how I viewed the White Council poster. (merchandise rather than advertising)

Cool to know you have worked on some of the stuff!

*EDIT*
was there ever a movie poster done for the very first Hobbit picture of Bilbo looking out his door? I can't seem to find that one in official size and double sided.

was there ever a movie poster done for the very first Hobbit picture of Bilbo looking out his door? I can't seem to find that one in official size and double sided.

The teaser image of Bilbo leaving Bag End was intended for online use only. There was briefly some discussion of doing a print run, but it never happened.

Oddly enough, the same basic concept (of a Hobbit leaving home) first popped up in sketch form way back in 2001 when we were working on Fellowship of the Ring. Ultimately no teaser poster of Frodo leaving Bag End was ever created, but I always liked the idea, and am happy we were able to use it on The Hobbit.

Thanks Carson. Glad I didn't go out and buy the Bilbo looking out the door posters I've seen of fleBay.

Just read a really good article over on collider.com

THE HOBBIT Set Visit | Collider

Its been a long time since I read The Hobbit, but I think the author of the article above doesn't throw in any spoilers.

It's gonna be a big week in Welly, one that I'm really looking forward to, so holler out if you're planning to be there...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back