The Hobbit - starts filming March 21

36319_419330098114403_1227812308_n.jpg

AWWW HEELLLL.

Guess who will be making ALL the elven things?? ><

Thrandy is SUPER elven high fashion. Love it.

Also, another bit of news, Noble Collections will be reproducing Bilbo's acorn waistcoat buttons as cufflinks and pins. Here's hoping we find the actual buttons, unless the set cast them themselves. Though several of the LotR costume buttons were floating around sites for a long time. Particularly Boromir's and Arwen's mourning gown buttons.

tumblr_mbs8iyOLjb1r861tno1_400.jpg

The Hobbit: Bilbo Baggins Button Cufflinks @ Forbidden Planet
The Hobbit: Bilbo Baggins Button Pin @ Forbidden Planet

The Comic Con pin is basically the button. I have one in the mail coming to me, so I see if it's the proper button size. Might be bigger. Even though it has "The Hobbit" stamped in it. It's a pretty good reference.
hobbit-pin-san-diego-comic-com.jpg

Hey Kit, will the staff be available in november/december for sure? Have placed an order with a vendor. Oh, and does the staff come in two pieces, or just one?

I trust PJ with the story just fine.

My fears lie with the 48fps shooting. The lack of motion blur makes some scenes look more theatrical and less cinematic. Roughly translating as, things that might have looked "real" otherwise will look fake. In the trailer, there were two sets that looked like sets to me. I don't want to be pulled out of the magic by hyper realistic imagery.

I'm just a codger when it comes to my love of "movie magic".

(Sorry if this was addressed earlier. With 20 pages I just skimmed through.)

I don't think the filming speed has been mentioned, Dexter. The shooting makes me wonder too. I'm not a fan of 3d at all, it gives me a headache and Imax seems a waste because you can't see EVERYTHING without turning your head. HD is a good thing and can be breathtaking. Where this faster shooting speed will fall in that line up is yet to be seen.

Wasn't PJ going to be releasing all 3 versions of film speed? Regular, 48 and 3D?

I'm gonna go try to find that link where I read that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong -_-.

I was only aware that he was doing it in 48 and 3d never heard anything about him doing it the regular way...but I could have easily missed him saying it

Not all theaters will be able to project 48fps by December, so those theaters will still be projecting 24fps.

I believe the 48fps is designed to work in conjunction with the 3D. I was reading some stuff the other day about 3D in general, and how 24fps can look a bit jittery in 3D because of the separation between foreground and background.. the spaces between the frames becomes more recognizable. PJ's answer is to bump up the framerate.

I think the reason they're wary of showing 48fps trailers is because the audience won't have the time to grow accustomed to the effect of the higher framerate inside of a two minute collection of very short shots. Word from the convention projection seemed to indicate that you grew used to it after a few minutes. I wouldn't surprise me if the film had some kind of slow build up at the beginning to allow the audience to get used to the effect.

One thing I'm curious about is the home release. Can Blu-ray support 48fps playback in 3D? Can our players or software support it? Can our monitors? Or will they just be releasing it in 24fps and reserving the 48fps exclusively for the theatrical release?

Exactly, Jedi. You basically just said exactly what the article I read basically stated.

Here's a limited release statement article: Peter Jackson's 48 fps version of The Hobbit said to be a 'limited release' only - Engadget

And here's the EW article saying the different frame rates that will be available to you, if your theater has them all: 'Hobbit': Peter Jackson responds to complaints about footage | Inside Movies | EW.com

The whole boil over was about the first initial clip/trailer of the Hobbit was shown in 48fps. A crap ton of people blew up about it, and started posting hate threads about the way it looked. If it were PJ's way, he'd only be showing it in 48fps and 3D. I personally hate both and would rather have 24, so I'm VERY happy that we'll have a choice.

Last edited:
Limited release.. makes me wonder if our local theaters will have it. They have pretty modern equipment, I might have to drop them an email to ask about this.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back