The Hobbit - starts filming March 21

I think PJ did great work turning the Tolkien books into films. I even regard them as masterpieces.

Im not sure if this can be made into 3 great films though. There are so many things he need to get right to make it work. Im hoping he keeps it true to the book.

Well, its been confirmed that the titles of the next two films will be The Hobbit ;The Desolation of Smaug (out Dec 13th 2013) and The Hobbit ;There and Back Again (July July 18th 2014). Benedict Cumberbatch has said that all we will see of "him" in The Unexpected Journey is Smaugs eye openning towards the end so that ties in with the title of the second film. That will include (as it must I feel) the Battle of the Five Armies and will then probably allow the last film to use most of the expanded material , including the fight at Dol Gulder with the Necromancer and the fall of Saurman the Wise. That will nicely pace the whole adventure of Mr Bilbo Baggins which in the book seems to end rather too swiftly after the final battle. Rather fitting ,considering how the LOTRs missed (necessarily so) most of the last chapters of the Grey Havens including the change of Saurmans death after the corruption of the Shire.

Last edited:
08hobbit-pg-horizontal.jpg
06hobbit-pg-horizontal.jpg

05hobbit-pg-horizontal.jpg

Thranduil.jpg

Last edited:
I know I'm gonna love the movies, but I do wish the Dwarves looked more along the Gimli/Gloin lines. Big beards. That's the defining characteristic of a Dwarf to me.

Boo! But the Apple one is so much more amazing!!

The only thing I don't like are the cgi'd orcs...:(. Hopefully we'll see some actual Weta creations for up close shots.

Boo! But the Apple one is so much more amazing!!

The only thing I don't like are the cgi'd orcs...:(. Hopefully we'll see some actual Weta creations for up close shots.

+1. I'm hoping these aren't the complete final shots and only made for the trailer followed by more polished-looking cg. Some of what I saw in the trailer looked very obvious.

GAH!!

I was waiting all month for this!! It looks fantastic!!

Was glad to see moments with Radaghast!

December can't come soon enough!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back