The Hobbit - starts filming March 21

i am losing hope for this.

there is not enough material in the hobbit to justify 3 movies. there was more material in the lotr triology, that they left out because it didnt matter enough to them.

now we will get stuff that is just not supposed to be on a big screen. i can not see how they can pull this off, and i fear that jackson is caught in a george lucas'y insanity. next thing you know, they will change the original triology, and rerelease it in 3d

Well, technically speaking nearly an entire third of Return of the King was an appendices some of which they will be using in the Hobbit. The battle at the end of the Hobbit leaves much open to visual interpretation for live action so I can see that taking up most of the third film. The stuff they left out of LOTR was IMO not needed and by that I still stand by them leaving out Tom Bombadil. XD Sorry purists. though the extended films are much better than the theatrical versions IMO. Considering how much PJ is expanding more on the wizards and their initial fight with Sauron and the fall of Saruman all of which wasn't covered with much detail in the book which, as a film makes sense to add, there is plenty to make three films of though, I would imagine each part to be shorter than any of the individual LOTR films...hopefully. I can't imagine there actually being enough material for three nearly three-hour-long films. Maybe three 2-ish hour films this time. I still also think the studio doesn't mind three films for theater cash as well and I can't imagine THAT didn't effect their decision at ALL. XD Also the presentation of a three part epic has its draw. No, I still look forward to seeing these.

Maybe they'll fill one movie with Liv Tyler and Evangeline Lilly as Elves involved in a pillow fight. Some padding of the movie would be acceptable. Maybe.

I'm remaining positive. Perhaps this is PJ's attempt to bring basically what would have been the inevitable extended cuts to the big screen? That would mean less double-dipping for us when the DVDs/Blu-Rays come out.

Honestly, I can't watch the theatrical versions of the LOTR films anymore since the EEs are vastly superior. If the story PJ crafted for the two films is enough for three films, then let him give us three so we don't lose anything substantial.

Tons of made up stuff? Where did you read that? Everything I've read suggested they'd be integrating things that weren't covered in the LOTR books, as well as some stuff from The Silmarillion.

They don't have the rights to anything beyond The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. All the padding has to be taken from those or pulled out of their asses. Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc. are off-limits.

The appendices in their copies of the books are going to see quite a bit of wear :)

I can't wait to see Beorn!!!! I wonder if they'll show him transform into the bear!?! Also, I want to see the Arkenstone! I wonder if anyone here will make one?? Hmmm... I better start saving! I can't wait!!

They don't have the rights to anything beyond The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. All the padding has to be taken from those or pulled out of their asses. Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc. are off-limits.
That's the parts that sucks, since the rest of the books fill in some of those gaps quite a bit. Unfinished Tales, for example, contains a passage cut from LOTR that directly references the events in The Hobbit.

That's the parts that sucks, since the rest of the books fill in some of those gaps quite a bit. Unfinished Tales, for example, contains a passage cut from LOTR that directly references the events in The Hobbit.

The bit with Gandalf's POV from Hobbit would be gold for these films, but alas :(

from yahoo.com

"You may be wondering how "The Hobbit" can be stretched into an entire trilogy of films -- a plan director Peter Jackson confirmed on Monday. The film version is based on one book, after all.
But Jackson, who Yahoo! Movies recently saw at Comic-Con, foreshadowed Monday's news as he explained that he is drawing upon source material written by J.R.R. Tolkien -- material that was never published in the original book.

"There [are] other parts of the story we want to tell that we haven't had a chance to tell yet," he said.

Jackson justified the then imminent move to make three films: "We have incredible source material with the appendices. Because 'The Hobbit' is obviously the novel, but then we also have the rights to use 125 pages of additional notes that... expanded the world of 'The Hobbit' that's published at the end of 'Return of the King.'"

I can't wait to see Beorn!!!! I wonder if they'll show him transform into the bear!?! Also, I want to see the Arkenstone! I wonder if anyone here will make one?? Hmmm... I better start saving! I can't wait!!
I found this on a site called Badali Jewelry. I don't know if this is what the Arkenstone will look like in the movie but I like it.
arkenstone121101.jpg

Before anyone complains about "stretching" The Hobbit into three films, read the appendices of LOTR. You will find the tale told of the Dwarves of the North and how Gandalf gets the map and key given to Thorin in The Hobbit, the tale of where he went and what he did when he disappeared for half of the book, as well as a lot of other material. This is all major stuff, and it all ties directly to the back story of Sauron and the ring, linking it all right into LOTR.

There is a treasure trove of material that will allow simultaneous story lines to unfold on screen, as was done with the LOTR films, all coming together in the finale. I think this is fantastic news, and I suspect it was Peter's plan all along. This is now much more than an adaptation of The Hobbit, and more of what Tolkien himself intended to do with his attempted rewrite of The Hobbit in the LOTR style.

Ctrl+Alt+Del - Structurally sound (2012-08-01)

Btw, I am looking forward to the true-to-the-book fan-edit that someone will do in 2.5 years after the movies have been released on BluRay. I anticipate that it will also be the only way that I can get to see it in good old proper 2D and in a good theatre (my own home theatre, that I should have built by then ;) ) ...

Just glanced over some SPOILERS about Smaug.

skip over if you don't want to know.

Benedict Cumberbatch who plays Smaug and the voice of the necromancer seems to be doing the interviews rounds and dropping some Hobbit spoilers this time to Anne Richardson from CumberbatchWeb:

There has been a lot of debate of when “An Unexpected Journey” will split for film two “The Hobbit: There and Back Again” Cumberbatch teased with this hinter on when to expect to see Smaug it appears that it could be as early as the end of the first film:

“I think my eye might open at the end of the first film and then you’ll get the rest of me in the second,” he said.

Now thats a tease!!!!!

i just thought of a way they will do 3 movies:

they probably made 2 movies with close to 3 hours. now they do some reshooting, and have 3 movies with about 2 hours.

easy enough, more money, win win

Easy solution, but I hope they do something less lazy than that. Cutting 6 hours of content into three chunks instead of two is a naked cash grab, and I sincerely hope that's not what this is.

By all accounts, Jackson went to WB with the idea of expanding things. I don't know that he'd be pushing for a mostly redistributed runtime - he likely has a better structure in mind. I hope we get some ranger Strider in the third!

- D

i just thought of a way they will do 3 movies:

they probably made 2 movies with close to 3 hours. now they do some reshooting, and have 3 movies with about 2 hours.

easy enough, more money, win win

It was always going to be very difficult to split these films satisfactorily anyway as the Hobbit really ends with the two climax's, the Demise of Smaug and The Battle of the Five Armies running straight after each other. However, the extended storyline of Gandalfs quest into Dol Gulder will now be so expanded that a huge amount can now be added and filmed to the mythology of the Ring that would barely get a mention outside of the Appendies. And there is plenty of it to play with.
That means PJ has alot of scope to bring many of the characters from LOTR to prominence that would otherwise just get a brief cameo, particularly with the Council of the Wise and the Elves of Mirkwood. Also the corruption of Saurman is never really well explained but now his fall could be very well covered in his quest for the Ring himself and how that brought him and the Council of the Wise into conflict with the Necromancer.And I could easily see the third film covering nearly all of this along with Bilbos journey home in very much more detail.
I honestly believe this will be a very successful trilogy of films, and I would preffer three two hour episodes to two three hour ones. Peter Jackson and his team did an incredible job with LOTR .I have no reason to doubt they will not manage to do the same with the Hobbit.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back