Mass Effect N7 Breather Helmet

There's been a lot of cleanup done in the last couple days on this helmet, and we still have a ways to go, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Here's hoping to no more than a week or so.

I still have to do the wiring and a paintjob to finish up this commission, but once the master mold is complete, I'll toss up a thread in the classifieds.

5518815658_77989dc932_b.jpg

So I haven't posted any progress in a while because I've been in the shop working on something "new." After a ridiculous amount of time spent trying to correct errors in symmetry and proportion on my clay sculpt, I finally threw in the towel and started over.

I found a rip of the helmet that came from the in-game model and burned a couple hours increasing the poly count for a smoother mill.

5572750008_be81ed9ee1_b.jpg

Then I spent a long weekend in the shop milling this piece out of pink foam and I think I finally have a hang of that Zenbot. I would have split the front end of the model in half and milled each side separately, but at that point I'd milled the entire thing three times and was fairly tired of hanging out in the garage covered in pink dust.

Next, a couple coats of resin seal up the helmet and it's ready for scrap molding.

5562633090_007dde9374_b.jpg

Molded. Cast.

Ready to clean up.

There's still a lot of work to be done, but this milled piece is about 100x more accurate and proportionate than my sculpt. This helmet must be perfect dagummit! :evil:

5572131891_4236c38627_b.jpg

I cannot wait to see this finished.
Will you be using the same machined ear pucks as the sculpted version?

I'm not sure if I can muster the amount of "ooo's" and "ahhh's" that this deserves.
While on the subject of Mass Effect, do you think your mill could cut EVA foam or would the elasticity of the material cause the bit to bind up?

are you fan of videogame Mass Effects? I have this game and couldn't take the time playing for my PS3 (laser dead)...

And I want to ask, what are the stuff of fluid rubber, I didn't know what called the name.

I love mass effect and I've played both games several dozen times. I'll probably take several "sick" days once the 3rd comes out.

The rubber is just that - RTV Silicone rubber.

We're closing in on the finish here. I just need to spot check a couple more areas, draw in a few more detail lines, and attach the back fins and we'll be in business.
5622508867_51a70c5cc7_b.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back