mold release wax substitute?

waterwarrior

hello all, i dont have a fiberglass supply store near me bjut i can get all the fiberglass and resin i want. has anyone had any experience using other products that are more readily available? I've heard of someone using floor wax, anyone else had experience with this?

I've used floor wax before. I just used it like honeywax. I put on a coat, left it to dry off nicely and then buffed it to a sheen. Repeated this four or five times and I was good to go.

I've used floor wax before. I just used it like honeywax. I put on a coat, left it to dry off nicely and then buffed it to a sheen. Repeated this four or five times and I was good to go.

yeah apparently i didnt use enough because it like to stick to all the spot putty that i laid on my plug.( plug now destroyed) oh well i got my mold and it can out just fine.

this

tucapawax14o.jpg

What Bunker1 said. The multiple coats will help cover the spots you missed, because you will miss a spot when applying the wax. Make sure you let it dry between coats, some waxes have more carrier solvents than others (harder or softer) and you'll want a slick, hard finish to get good release. If you can't find a fiber glass supplier then you should be able to get a variety of paste waxes from an automotive detailing shop.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back