Godzilla (2014)

MrGzilla

i havent seen a thread about this already up so i thought id post one. last year legendary pictures got the rights to make a new american godzilla movie and this time theyll be working closely with toho as to not make any of the same mistakes that the last one made (and there were alot). theres been a picture of godzilla that legendary put out at comic con 2010 and most people thought that that was the design for him in the movie but after some digging around i saw somewhere that said it was just promotional art and did not reflect how he was to look in the movie. there was also a bust on the internet that some people thought was concept art but it turned out to be compleatly unrelated to the movie. finally they released some official concept art and being a lifelong godzilla fan owning every movie and a huge collection of figures, ive got to say i LOVE the way its looking. anyways heres the most recent concept art thats been released.

godzilla2012.jpg

5330736027_bde2eba785.jpg

If that's anything to go off, let's hope the actor lineup matches the effort put into making gojira super mean. Looking forward to it and thanks for the heads up!

From the pics looks like they've already messed up. Saying that they are "working closely with Toho" is just a way to fool people back into the theatre - america is unable to make a good Godzilla movie - its a very japanese subject.

I'll just be happy they work with Toho this time but I agree with Jet. If anything they should get the rights to one of Toho's unpopular monsters and ruin that.

From the pics looks like they've already messed up. Saying that they are "working closely with Toho" is just a way to fool people back into the theatre - america is unable to make a good Godzilla movie - its a very japanese subject.

i think legendary will do a good job with it, at least i hope they do. im not a big fan of the red or the spines in the second pic, but if he ends up looking more like in the first pic id at least be happy with the design of him.
maybe im being overly optimistic but i actually do beleive that toho will be overseeing it in some way though.

Thanks for the updated pics.
Big G fan here since forever.

He looks a little like a porcupine but it is Godzilla and not an iguana. LOL
And it's not as extreme a change as say Space Godzilla was.

If they can keep the Japanese soul in the character
that is what I care about most.

I know most Godzilla fans know what I mean about that.

If they can keep the Japanese soul in the character
that is what I care about most.

exactly. godzilla movies have never realy had strong human interaction or story line (there are exceptions ie the origional, the 84 sequal, GMK, and a few others) but more about the monsters and destroying cities and the like so if they can get that right then ill be happy.
oh yeah, i forgot to mention that its confirmed that he'll face off against at least one other monster, so thats a plus :)

I know of at least one writer who could pen the right script...

I read they hired the Monsters dirctor for this film.

He hasn't had a lot of experience. I actually saw Monsters at the local art house theater.

It showed great promise, but the film didn't really know what it wanted to be.

It'll never be the same without a guy in a suit... Gimme a guy in a suit! :D

sadly, they have already said that it will not be suitmation, instead itll be cg. not to thrilled with this but who knows, todays cg is much better than it used to be so it could work out well.
also the suitmation is a dieing art, its just too time consuming and expensive to make all the miniatures and if something goes wrong half way through a scene while filming they have to go in and compleatly rebuild the miniatures. how toho made all those movies in the time they had i will never know, i mean most of the movies were released within a year of eachother, its just crazy even the newer ones came out a year apart.

I love Godzilla as if he were my own son - but Toho has a way of cranking out really bad stories with the new monster being the gimmik that lures people back over and over again. IMO the greatest giant type monster movie ever made (or at least tied with the original Gojira) is the 1996 Gamera 2 Attack of Legion
YouTube - Gamera Assault of the Legion 1996 Japa Trailer
Great music - monster battles and story that actually incorporates the humans having something to do besides run.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back