The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread

I confess: I haven't seen TBL yet! Yes, yes I hould be ashamed, I've heard it about 2 weeks from a work colleague that I have to see it! BUT: I remember the trailer and the plot - so I'm not completely lost - LOL.

Anyway I found a photo, which could be titled - "The Dude Lives!"
tumblr_kyyyiffSyU1qa42jro1_1280.jpg

If you get someone to knit you the Pendleton, make sure you have a 1.5" ring pull, because YKK makes different sizes.
I looked up YKK, and they no longer make the correct kind of ring pull zipper tab, their newer ones are completely empty circles with no curved solid piece in the top, and it looks like the other ones I found do have that bit, but I'll make sure I contact the seller before I buy to make sure they're right size.

Looks like some dye-ing is going to be needed on that BB&B robe:
Hmm, in that photo the robe looks to be almost purple, which I know can't be right. Maybe it's just the picture or the camera it was taken with, but I'm fairly sure the original was a medium brown color. And even if it is purple, I'd much rather match on screen color than actual color, and I'll probably have to dye it anyways to get that medium brown color.

Any leads on the Pajama pants?

I'm pretty sure that they're traning/ weightlifting pants from the 80's, and searches on ebay and google seem to turn up many similar looking pants. The key is to just keep looking until you find the right pair.

I looked some more at reference photos and decided I'll probably go with those Okabashi sandals that were recommended and then use a curved cut to remove the middle strap to get a similar look to that of the ones in the movie. Okabashi Milan Sandals
LEBOWSKI-11.jpg

The robe is medium brown. I'm not really sure what's going on with the pic where it looks purple, but it's actually, well, dirt colored.

For reference, you can get the baseball tee here or here, but you should get it here.

It's another piece that was Jeff Bridge's own clothing - he also wore it for a scene in The Fisher King.

There's some really great information being shared in this thread, I'll probably edit the original post and add all this information and links so it can be a one stop spot for all your 'The Dude' needs and what have you.

On the front for the shorts, I managed to find a pair I rather liked and looked quite close to the plaid shorts that The Dude wears several times throughout the movie, including the opening supermarket scene.
!B6Rtl2wBmk~$(KGrHqIOKioEy(rVd9eIBMw2yyR4ig~~0_3.JPG

I'm planning on using a seam ripper to remove the cargo style pockets and maybe giving it a quick dip in some olive colored dye to make them a bit darker.

For reference, you can get the baseball tee here or here, but you should get it here.

I like the one from Found Item Clothing. Seems to match the color and printing of the Lebowski screen shirt pretty well. The shirt from Lebowski Fest looks more like it does in The Fisher King but like the robe I'd rather have what it looks like on screen than what it looks like in person.

CrowTeeRobot, them shorts seem to be an almost spot on match for the ones shown in the photo in the back of the limo. I do believe however that the ones worn in the supermarket are a different pair, maybe the same make/style but certainly more green/blue plaid than the cream/brown plaid worn in the limo. Nice find though!

I'm certain the pants are the 80's style weightlifting trousers, I remember people wearing them back then... they never looked good even then lol. I guess ebay is the only option here.

Went out today and picked up about $60 worth of yarn and knitting supplies at Jo-Ann Fabrics, AC Moore and Michaels, visited all those stores at least twice each, but managed to get suitably colored yarn.

Some more info on The Dude related items:

On ebay there's someone selling some very nice, high quality replicas of the Man of the Year Time mirrors, just search for lebowski time mirror and they should pop up.
lebowski_time_mirror-749620.jpg

There's also someone selling dead-on replica's of the Dude's checkbook, just serach for Lebowski checkbook and you'll find it.
norm-4a6142fc0e0bc-Big+Lebowski,+The+(1998).jpeg

And here's a direct link to the Otomix Martial Arts shoes, they're on sale right now, so it'd be a good time to pick them up.
MMA/Karate/Taekwondo Shoe
otomix_2145_17732162

Whelp, looks like I won't be paying the tuition for my spring semester, but at least I'll have some pretty awesome The Dude clothes!

Hmmmm... are you planning to knit a pendleton sweater?

Nice find on the other stuff!

I feel your pain financially, if I didn't have to get my car fixed I would be The Dude

I just saw this thread cause a member told me over Ebay, I have those checkbooks for sale on Ebay still.

Great Thread BTW, here in Argentina they sell on the street those plastic translucent sandals that the dude uses, I will get one some day and bring pics to the thread.

Cya

Gus

Folks, great topic....! I just found a sweater on Ebay for a "buy it now" of $99. They said it was a size large but it was tagged as a medium in the pictures. I am pretty sure I can wear a medium as I think they run a little big and I'm kinda in between a medium and a large. I've been looking a long time and I thought I'd have to pay through the nose for one of these as I have been watching them go for $250 to $500. I watched the movie again last month with my sons (age 18 and 20) and now they are Lebowski fans...! Here's the sellers pics from Ebay. Regards

I own a vintage Pendleton Dude sweater, and the ring zipper pull is made by a company named Talon, not YKK. It's says Talon right on it, and there's also a small T on the ring itself where it attaches to the zipper. Hope this helps!

If the Pendleton Company, which is still in business, ever started making these sweaters again, they'd make a fortune!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back