The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread

While we're on the subject of the Dude's footwear, I picked up a pair of Okabashi sandals like Icey mentioned way back in post #10. Rather than the "Milan" sandal that Icey linked to, I went with their "Torino" because I thought it was a closer match without really having to do any modification:

Torino

If you can find them in your local CVS or Walgreen's (I visited several before I found a pair in my size in the style I was looking for), they're only $11-$12. They're reasonably comfortable, but on the top side of the soles there are little bumps laid out in a "grid" pattern where the arches and balls of your feet make contact. I don't know if their intended purpose is massage, reflexology, or simply to provide more grip (so they don't slip off of your feet), but after wearing my sandals for 5-10 minutes I found these bumps irritating. And I don't have sensitive feet--I walk barefooted a lot and have no problems walking on all but the hottest of pavement, and I've even walked through broken glass (not intentionally) without a scratch. In all fairness, I rarely wear sandals so maybe it's just something I'd have to get used to. But just in case, I'm looking into a pair of those hideous "jelly" sandals.

if you guys are still looking for ideas for the sweaters I found a local person (AZ) on craigslist who will knit it if you have the pattern (which can be found on-line), and if you buy the materials. He charges $200 which I dont feel is a bad price, since even the incorrect colored ones on ebay people are trying to get $150-$399

The nice guy from the local news actually gave me a card with this website written on it after he took a picture of me, lots of good photos there: Lebowski Fest 2011 from Philadelphia. Photos, Videos, and What Have You dedicated to the Big Lebowski - WPHL

361338860-04223644.jpg

370066220-04224522.jpg

361168880-04223659.jpg

Luke Yount, 21, Warwick, NY, attends his first ever Lebowski Fest in Philadelphia. He was too young to catch the NY Fest last year. Luke got his Dude sweater on ebay for $50 bucks.

Man, when are us young guys going to catch a break?

...Oh yeah, when we're older :lol

Here's what I found last week. The White ones I'm gonna dye, need to work out what dye colour to use first. The other pair look okish too, I'll see how they are in hand. I'm more excited about the White pair though. They look 'right' somehow!
5f92c13a-8dee-be29.jpg

5f92c13a-8f55-8d51.jpg
So where did you end up finding the pants, and what phrases did you end up using to finally find the grey ones? Can you email me at nightandday4@yahoo.com with info? Thanks!!!!

Clever, I believe the seller's name is "shirtswithballs" on ebay.

In other news, I bought a pair of sunglasses on ebay, they look much closer than the one's I was using.
270204_10150240094450892_657795891_7608341_1431119_n.jpg

Also, I was down at my local Mom and Pop hardware store, and they had a whole wall of what I'd refer to as "Craft Sodas", and guess what specific kind they had there?
268380_10150240087330892_657795891_7608284_2384915_n.jpg

That's right, Sioux City Sarsaparilla!
261570_10150239853900892_657795891_7606113_6021363_n.jpg

I picked up two bottles and drank one, very tasty, I can see why the Stranger is so fond of it. I'd consider sending them at cost to anyone who wanted one, but shipping them would be a real problem. :unsure

Just a heads up to anybody who's interested in those plaid wrangler shorts I bought, there's a bunch of wrangler plaid shorts on sale at Walmart right now, I just noticed when I was picking up some new raglan tees. :)

Hi all, thought I'd post this Widelux photo I took at the Tampa Fest in the bowling alley bar. The real dude is in the background left. Kind of a trippy bar photo.
B.

Adding one more from the same fest of the documentary shoot.

Last edited:

I have a question about the Dude's shades, specifically the color of the frames. Are they black or dark brown? I'm leaning towards dark brown, but I thought I'd verify it with the experts.

The reason I'm asking is because I have a pair of vintage Maui Jim shades that are close enough for me (and only cost $20) but the frames need to be painted, so as long as I'm doing it I might as well do it right.

I have a question about the Dude's shades, specifically the color of the frames. Are they black or dark brown? I'm leaning towards dark brown, but I thought I'd verify it with the experts.

The reason I'm asking is because I have a pair of vintage Maui Jim shades that are close enough for me (and only cost $20) but the frames need to be painted, so as long as I'm doing it I might as well do it right.

The whole coloring of the movie seems to tint everything brown, so either way. it could be black or brown. I personally think that the shades are a really dark semi-transparent tortoiseshell, but that's just me.

If you visit the Lebowski Fest website, they are offering the Dude's Jellies sandals for sale right now. I got my pair today, and now need to make myself a beverage and listen to some whale songs, man. $30 on their website.

The whole coloring of the movie seems to tint everything brown, so either way. it could be black or brown. I personally think that the shades are a really dark semi-transparent tortoiseshell, but that's just me.
I'm inclined to agree with you about the Tortoiseshell. I have a decent close-up screenshot of the Dude weaing the shades (the outdoor scene when he meets Bunny Lebowski), and they appear to be brown with some slight color variations. In this particular scene the frames appear to have been sprayed with a matte/flat clearcoat, so I can't say whether or not they were originally transparent.

Anyway, I've decided to paint mine black for three reasons:

1) I prefer black.

2) With the possible exception of Tortoiseshell (which I don't have the skills to realistically replicate with paint) I think black frames are a more common and more classic style than brown.

3) I already have a can of black spray paint. :D

If you visit the Lebowski Fest website, they are offering the Dude's Jellies sandals for sale right now. I got my pair today, and now need to make myself a beverage and listen to some whale songs, man. $30 on their website.
Oh, sure, now they sell them, after I already got a pair from La Meduse (the only distributor I could find at the time that still sold the original Sarraizienne "Sun" jelly sandals like Bridges wore in the film). Oh well; ups and downs, strikes and gutters.

Aw man, they're out of the size 12 in the lebowskifest shop, guess I'll have to order from La Meduse.

On a side note, I was watching Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back today, and guess what I noticed an extra wearing?

183888_10150255630975892_657795891_7766090_218157_n.jpg

I had to pause and rewind, I love making little discoveries like this while watching movies.

Not dead, just busy with work and still waiting for the new credit card to come in the mail.

In the meantime, enjoy this alteration to my church's bulletin.
167381_500400080891_657795891_6400361_6670906_n.jpg

This 'adjustment' was WAY too funny. :lol You have obviously spent too much time with those sweaters.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back