The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Nothing wrong with that; the Dude's sweater is a Cardigan.

As for the shorts, I've come to the conclusion that the odds are astronomical that I'd find a pair with that exact pattern in my size (after all, the movie is now 16 years old and it's highly unlikely they're still being made), so I've settled for "close enough" or "Dude-esque" as many Lebowski costumers have. Sometimes you just have to mark it zero.

ahh crap, you're right, Zombie. i think of the more common button-up sweaters when i think of cardigans. heh ;) and good point on the shorts... i'm usually not too picky on being authentic for costumes, especially if i can be frugal and sell the idea to the masses rather than get nitpicked by the smaller group of perfectionists.

so on the good side, the replica bowling shirt arrived this week (good quality for $36), the pants from Deborah @ Colores del Pueblo have been ordered, sweater arrives in a couple days... just need to track down some cheap jelly sandals and i'm set for ECCC 2015 to use multiple costume changes over the course of the weekend. In the meantime, I'll probably hang out my fav bar on halloween and order white russians all night long, wearing the sweater / pants combo.

One more note to add...
Found some jelly sandals from an eBay seller who has several still in stock for various sizes. $20 - $30 and $10 s/h from Hawaii. If people are still looking for some and don't want to pay $50 + s/h from France for the La Meduse pair, this might be the best bet. no need to worry about getting the right size conversion that way, too!

*** ebay link URL removed ***

I ordered a pair and will post some info about them once they arrive later this week.

Last edited:
Hey Dudes!

For DragonCon this year I decided to take my costume's authenticity up a few notches and pick up a pair of Vuarnet 003 shades. I actually managed to snag a vintage pair off eBay for $60. Not bad compared to the $150+ pairs I usually see.

Upon receiving the authentic Vuarnets I decided to compare against my cheap knock-offs I wore last year and I gotta say, they're pretty damn close! The size and shape are spot on, only fractions of millimeter differences in some places and of course the lenses are nowhere near as nice as the Vuarnet pair. These are as close to Vuarnet 003 as you can get without getting the real thing.

knockoff-1.jpgvuarnet-1.jpg

(The photos don't to justice to how close they are in design, my angles were off a bit)

vuarnet-comparison.jpg

In any case, I wanted to share the link to the $20 knock-off pair in case anyone needs some Dude shades on the cheap and wants that authentic look.

MOD EDIT: Please do not post Ebay links, thanks.

Take er easy!

Last edited by a moderator:
...Upon receiving the authentic Vuarnets I decided to compare against my cheap knock-offs I wore last year and I gotta say, they're pretty damn close! The size and shape are spot on, only fractions of millimeter differences in some places and of course the lenses are nowhere near as nice as the Vuarnet pair. These are as close to Vuarnet 003 as you can get without getting the real thing...
Also, though it's difficult to tell by watching the movie, the Dude's shades had tortoise-shell frames and brown lenses, so anyone wanting a pair that are as authentic as possible will need to look for that.

But, hey, for $20 I might grab a pair of those knock-offs myself. The el-cheapo knock-offs I have now had blue frames and, for whatever reason, when I repainted them I couldn't get the paint to lay down properly (bubbles here and there) even after I had degreased them and handled them with rubber gloves to avoid contamination. They worked well enough for the one party I wore them to, but it might be nice to have a pair I can actually use.

Also, though it's difficult to tell by watching the movie, the Dude's shades had tortoise-shell frames and brown lenses, so anyone wanting a pair that are as authentic as possible will need to look for that.

Yeah, I knew I was off on the colors but I was happy to at least have the right frames... or do I? There's debate as to wether or not The Dude was even wearing Vuarnet 003 frames, some folks seem to believe that they were actually Ray Ban CATS 4000. Here's a comparison:

vaurnet-rayban.jpg

Now, between these two above and the eBay pair I bought it seems that they're like 99.9999 percent the same shape/size which is mostly what matters, it's like they came out of the same mold. If you need the better lenses or higher quality of frame, obviously the Ray Bans or Vuarnets will deliver.

The rabbit hole goes deep!

Yeah, I knew I was off on the colors but I was happy to at least have the right frames... or do I? There's debate as to wether or not The Dude was even wearing Vuarnet 003 frames, some folks seem to believe that they were actually Ray Ban CATS 4000...Now, between these two above and the eBay pair I bought it seems that they're like 99.9999 percent the same shape/size which is mostly what matters, it's like they came out of the same mold.
The fact that manufacturers of such items often copy each others' designs does make things difficult for us nutcases, especially when movie crews remove all of the branding so that the company names and/or logos won't be seen on screen. At this point it seems only The Dude himself, Jeff Bridges, might be able to put the issue to rest once and for all; unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced his phone number. :(

:D

Alright guys, trying something new this time for the Ralph's Half & Half carton.

Last year I just printed out the graphics on adhesive back paper and stuck it on to a painted carton. This time I'm going to print out the whole carton and cut/fold/glue it together.

Here's the pattern I came up with:

carton-2.jpglebowski-raplhs-carton.jpg

And here is the link to the file in case anyone wants to give it a try themselves - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/298211/lebowski-raplhs-carton.jpg

Good luck!

The sandals arrived last week and are pretty awesome. Not identical, of course, but close enough that people won't notice. ...plus their mens size, so they fit better and so on. ;) i'll add a picture later.

MOD EDIT: Please do not post Ebay links, thanks.
Take er easy!

oops, no prob. link has been removed

Alright guys, trying something new this time for the Ralph's Half & Half carton.
Last year I just printed out the graphics on adhesive back paper and stuck it on to a painted carton. This time I'm going to print out the whole carton and cut/fold/glue it together.
Here's the pattern I came up with:

awesome! any suggestion for what type of paper to print it on?

Last edited:
As promised, here's the pic of the jelly sandals from eBay. (you can search for "Jelly Sandals in Big Lebowski" there to find them; seller is neighbor_06). $30 + s/h for them, running in sizes between 9 - 13, including half sizes. Like i mentioned, their not identical but good luck finding anything closer, really...

Cheers guys!

IMG_2475.JPG

Anyone here "the dude" on Howard Stern this week( I'm sure its on youtube by now)? It was amazing, to hear him talk about the movie. He even mentioned that some of those clothes were out of his own closet. VERY COOL.

As promised, here's the pic of the jelly sandals from eBay. (you can search for "Jelly Sandals in Big Lebowski" there to find them; seller is neighbor_06). $30 + s/h for them, running in sizes between 9 - 13, including half sizes. Like i mentioned, their not identical but good luck finding anything closer, really...
Just a quick fyi for anyone who might be interested in getting a pair of these, I've communicated with the seller about the sizes and he confirmed these are manufactured to European sizing specifications and that he uses a conversion chart to "estimate" the U.S. sizes. He and I have sorted out the size I need to order, so you might want to do the same to avoid having to return them for exchange. Just a Dudely suggestion... :cool

i'm failing on all cylinders in this thread it seems... haha i didn't even think to contact the guy and find out more info on the sizes. nice one, zombie!

i'm failing on all cylinders in this thread it seems... haha i didn't even think to contact the guy and find out more info on the sizes. nice one, zombie!
I have back problems and I need shoes that fit properly, so I have to be cautious when ordering them over the 'Net. The evilBay seller, Neighbor_06, responded to my questions promptly and seemed to be friendly (yes, I know he was trying to make a sale, but I've dealt with some real dimwits before) so I felt pretty good about ordering from him. Besides, jelly sandals are more comfortable than I thought they'd be, but it's not like they're going to become my favorite footwear any time soon. :lol

I have back problems and I need shoes that fit properly, so I have to be cautious when ordering them over the 'Net. The evilBay seller, Neighbor_06, responded to my questions promptly and seemed to be friendly (yes, I know he was trying to make a sale, but I've dealt with some real dimwits before) so I felt pretty good about ordering from him. Besides, jelly sandals are more comfortable than I thought they'd be, but it's not like they're going to become my favorite footwear any time soon. :lol

Sorry to hear about the back problems, but great silver lining there for being so comfortable! I've got wider feet so they're a wee bit snug but at least they start to give after a bit of wear.

So... I was a bit inspired tonight to do some more searching for a decent pair of plaid shorts as seen with the bowling shirt and hoodie outfits. As you pointed out earlier, Zombie, it's going to be next to impossible to find identical ones, but I think these are the closest yet that I've found. They're swim-to-street shorts over on Old Navy (on sale at the moment!). Old Navy isn't the greatest quality stuff, but they're only $12.99 for the sale (+s/h + applicable tax), and today only 8/17/14 is a sales code on their site "FAMILY" that drops it down to $9.09). Lots of different sizes available, including big/tall ones (up to 48W). ...and if they don't work out, Old Navy is good for returns/refunds. "FREE returns & exchanges by mail & to stores on all orders" I also tossed one of their purple v-necks into the order (on sale for $8) for the hell of it.

shorts.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the back problems, but great silver lining there for being so comfortable...
Thank you. I had surgery in 2004 to repair a herniated disk in my lower back. Long story short, my doctors consider it a success because they repaired the defect, but I still experience chronic pain--a condition known as Post-Laminectomy Syndrome or Failed Back Syndrome. The downside is that I can't work. The upside is that my limited mobility allows/forces me to live a more Dudely lifestyle. :cool

...I've got wider feet so they're a wee bit snug but at least they start to give after a bit of wear...
Yeah, this plastic/jelly stuff is pretty forgiving.

...I was a bit inspired tonight to do some more searching for a decent pair of plaid shorts as seen with the bowling shirt and hoodie outfits. As you pointed out earlier, Zombie, it's going to be next to impossible to find identical ones, but I think these are the closest yet that I've found...
The shorts I wore in the photo in post #163 were the closest I could find at the time, and they were still only "Lebowski-esque". The thing is (hypothetically speaking), I could go out and get the exact wardrobe Bridges wore in the movie--stolen right out of Bridges' closet--and the people I'd see on Halloween (or wherever I might wear this stuff) wouldn't know and wouldn't care because so few of them have even heard of the movie, let alone have seen it. So, for me, except for me knowing how accurate my costume is (and, of course, you good folks here on the RPF), it would be a waste of my time and money to track down items that are 100% accurate. And in recent years the people we used to count on to throw a good Halloween party have gotten kind of flakey, and if they decide to throw a party we don't find out until the last minute. So I do like to have a few items around that I can throw together quickly just to have some kind of costume, but it's usually a waste to spend months of planning and good money on something I'll probably have no use for.

The funny thing is, I have no idea what happened to those shorts. I'm sure they're around here somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find them. So I took a quick look on evilBay and spent $10 and change (shipped) on these:

Dude_Shorts_zpsf71bcc2e.jpg

They're used and appear to be stained, but they should be good enough for me after I clean 'em up a little.

The upside is that my limited mobility allows/forces me to live a more Dudely lifestyle. :cool
That made me laugh out loud for real. Too awesome...

Zombie_61 said:
The thing is (hypothetically speaking), I could go out and get the exact wardrobe Bridges wore in the movie--stolen right out of Bridges' closet--and the people I'd see on Halloween (or wherever I might wear this stuff) wouldn't know and wouldn't care because so few of them have even heard of the movie, let alone have seen it.
Yeah, very good point. The great folks around here -- eclipsedave, for instance -- have been godsends for providing details and links for things to keep it as close as possible. but as you say, most people wouldn't even notice. i think i said in an earlier post that i was wearing my Oakleys at PAX since my replica sunglasses hadn't arrived yet and nobody pointed that out. they were just all happy to see The Dude...

Zombie_61 said:
The funny thing is, I have no idea what happened to those shorts. I'm sure they're around here somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find them. So I took a quick look on evilBay and spent $10 and change (shipped) on these:
Oh, now those are nice! Much closer to what i was trying to find. Nice score, man!

Now i just need to work on fading the bowling shirt -- Seattle is sunny right now for natural fading but looks like i'll use some Rit decolorizer solution -- and break in & fade the purple v-neck over the next several months once it shows up this week...

Last edited:
That made me laugh out loud for real. Too awesome...
Yeah, I'm trying to focus on what little bright side there is to keep my spirits up. ;)

...Yeah, very good point. The great folks around here -- eclipsedave, for instance -- have been godsends for providing details and links for things to keep it as close as possible. but as you say, most people wouldn't even notice. i think i said in an earlier post that i was wearing my Oakleys at PAX since my replica sunglasses hadn't arrived yet and nobody pointed that out. they were just all happy to see The Dude...
I'd guess every member of the RPF has run into this problem at one time or another. You spend a great deal of time, money, blood, sweat, or whatever, to put together the ultimate costume (whatever your preference may be) and you want people to appreciate that, but most of 'em couldn't care less. In fact, if I end up having a party to go to this Halloween I probably won't even shave my beard down to a goatee if I dress like the Dude because nobody but me is going to know anyway.

...Oh, now those are nice! Much closer to what i was trying to find. Nice score, man!...
Thanks. They arrived today. The gray stripes are lighter in color than I expected, but they don't look as stained/dirty as they do in that photo I posted so I think they'll clean up nicely; good enough for me, anyway.

...Now i just need to work on fading the bowling shirt...
I got one of those replica bowling shirts last year, and it never occurred to me that the Dude's shirt was faded. Good call! Be sure to let us know which fading method works for you so we can steal your idea and try it ourselves. :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back