The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

...then put together a couple of the other outfits (the grey hoodie...
The Dude's hoodie was actually more of a faded olive green, not grey. Also, if you can, find one with the inner "fleece", drawstring, and stitching that matches the color of the material; a lot of them have white fleece and different colored drawstrings and stitching (usually white). And, of course, no visible logos.

Ahh thanks for the clarification, Zombie. greatly appreciated!

The costume went over well at ECCC. So well that I ended up wearing it two of the three days instead of the one I planned. TONS of people asking for pics of/with me, lots of random "Duuuuuude!" comments when walking by, lots of compliments on how well the costume looked.

I happened to bump into someone cosplaying as Walter so we had someone take our pic together. I wish the guy taking the pic would have gotten a wider shot to see the shorts & sandals but alas... (shadows make the shorts look darker than they are).

IMG_1735.JPG

Hey can someone show the accurate cardigan? I want to buy one but need to see some comparisons.

I see here:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/big-lebowski-costume-thread-106839/index15.html#post3223821
that Zombie covered the info.

And I also see that I dropped the ball when I reorganized some photobucket photos and broke the link to a pic I posted that might be helpful. Sorry about that; I think I fixed all the links. Here is the pic:

from my post here:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/big-lebowski-costume-thread-106839/index13.html#post3182754

View attachment 291831
A few of you had asked about labels for The Dude's beeper. Thanks to Dan Almasy for the initial workups, I finally got to it tonight and I printed a few extras. I'm moving March 3rd, so I guess if you want to send me a SASE once I have my new address or something, then I'll happily oblige. I'll also bring a few to Lebowski Fest in Los Angeles.

That's exciting news! I need to setup an alert to let me know when there have been updates to this thread. I hope your move went well; I'll PM you about a set.
thanks,
arthur

I got my pager (Motorola Bravo Plus) from seller pageplusaz on that most popular auction site. $6.24 shipping included.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm very new here. I thought I would jump in and share my effort. The pics are of me (The dude) and my 2 sons attending SupaNova, a pop culture Expo here in Australia. My thanks to Dan Almasy who I stole the picture file from to make the authentic milk carton. We received much respect and acknowledgment from those in the know. Keep up the effort everyone.

2014-04-05 at 10-07-59 - Version 2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that was too easy; I just ordered one. Thanks again!
Well, so much for "easy". I got the pager today, and they sent me the Bravo Classic instead of the Bravo Plus. Unfortunately, I have no recourse because I re-read the auction listing which clearly states, "Effective 10/10/13 A Bravo Plus or Bravo Classic will be sent at random in A, B, C, or D condition," so it's my own fault. :facepalm Incidentally, I looked at every other evilBay listing for a Bravo Plus pager, and they all say the same thing. Oh well, it's close enough and I only paid $6.15 for it.

Greetings All,

Very cool thread. Because of it, I'm considering donning a Dude costume whilst a friend does Walter at a con later this year. This thread's been really useful so far, but two questions:

1. Any suggestions for the Dude's purple v neck t-shirt? This one should be simple, but I can't nail it down.
2. Has anyone ever sourced the Dude's checkbook wallet? It looks like red leather or vinyl, but the replicas I've seen don't have that detail.

Thanks.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

IMAG0415.jpg

Hello everyone. Just signed up to post this and ask a question. This pic is me circa Halloween two years ago. I'm bringing this back for the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) next weekend. I'm looking for the Okabashi shoes in stores, since the website won't get them to me in time. Has anyone been able to locate them? According to the website, they are carried in some stores, so I'd like to target certain places before I wander all over. Thanks!

Oh, and yes....the goatee is a little short in this pic. Rest assured, I've been growing it to a much more acceptable length now. The wig is OK, I don't want to think about how long it take to grow that out.

PJL80: I've been growing my hair out since May 2012, when i last had it shaved down to about 3/4" long. It took about 15+ months (at my growth rate at least) to get it to Dude length for PAX Prime 2013, and I had to trim of about 6" in the back to level it all out for ECCC [see pic above] 6 months later. Hopefully that gives you a good estimate for how long it will take, but i'll tell you that you'll get more people enjoying the costume when you have real hair instead of a wig. the hard part is growing past that annoying length around the 8-10 month range before it can fit into a small ponytail. haha

the beard is kind of fun since you might look a bit more intimidating with a longer one (or even get more attention from the ladies). if you do grow it, be sure to grow out some under the chin to get the full effect. The Dude doesn't just have around the entire mouth, but a bit more filled in. check out his profile shots in the opening scenes for some ideas on what i mean.

i hope you find the the sandals in stores. i called around the Seattle area to several places and never found them locally. Chicago might be a bit different, but it's really a craps shoot when doing that. plus, really, the ones you have on the pic will work for a con. i accidentally wore my black Doc Marten sandals all day long during ECCC and 1) nobody pointed that out, and 2) everyone "got" that i was The Dude without them. you'll be fine, i'm sure. just order the Okabashi online and use them for next time. [heh, i ended up wearing my Oakley sunglasses at PAX and nobody pointed it out]

Hello all!
Deborah from Colores De Pueblo emailed me to notify me that Lebowski pants in size medium are now back in stock. Not sure about size large. The website will soon be updated to reflect the recent changes in stock:

Big Lebowski pants

By the way, I found what looks to be a decent sweater replica. It's listed as a Cardigan (/facepalm) and as a costume sweater, but reviews look promising. Needs a zipper replacement, but that's not too big a deal. Discounted at $89.99 (reg $100) on Amazon. I may go with that (for now) until I get lucky in a thrift store or eBay.
http://www.amazon.com/Lebowski-Jeff...OMJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405601092&sr=8-2

I apologize if this was talked about earlier in the thread but a lot of older pics are no longer attached to be able to tell (and 16 pages is a ton to read back through!), but has anyone had luck tracking down the tan shorts worn in the limo and again during Donny's eulogy scenes (and a couple other places)? That's next on my list, along with the grey zip-up hoodie, for an alternate costume. I haven't had any luck in the searches I've done so far, but I'm sure I'll come across something soon if nobody has any past leads. :)

EDIT:
I just noticed that Eclipsedave mentioned the same sweater earlier here
I'm still trying to catch up reading all of the older posts for information. my bad... haha

Last edited:
By the way, I found what looks to be a decent sweater replica. It's listed as a Cardigan (/facepalm)...
Nothing wrong with that; the Dude's sweater is a Cardigan.

As for the shorts, I've come to the conclusion that the odds are astronomical that I'd find a pair with that exact pattern in my size (after all, the movie is now 16 years old and it's highly unlikely they're still being made), so I've settled for "close enough" or "Dude-esque" as many Lebowski costumers have. Sometimes you just have to mark it zero.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back