The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

That, and the fact that the Alfred Dunner label says "woman" at the bottom. :D

By the way, jelly sandals were considered to be "women's clothing" almost exclusively here in the U.S.; at the height of their popularity they were worn by men and women almost equally in Europe and other parts of the world. I wouldn't wear then for long periods of time because I have a bad back and need shoes with more support, but I was surprised by how comfortable mine were.
"The Dude has always been an international man, even continental ...if you will." (done in my best Brandt voice) :cool

View attachment 282337
Otomix arrived today. Check yours for damage. I didn't even have to try them on to know that they are way too small, possibly 2 Euro sizes too small. But I'm contacting them regarding the damage. It was only this part of the left shoe, but it's significant enough to return for an exchange, especially considering how much these cost.

Wow, I'll be ticked off if mine come in looking like that. Will keep you posted on how they look when they come in. Let me know what you hear from the company.

I emailed Otomix and explained, "The shoe almost appears as though a rodent ate some of the outer material or something. Otherwise. I've never see anything like it."
They wrote back promptly and said they have no idea what happened. And even though I inquired about a call tag and return authorization number, they just said they're shipping another pair, but this time size 40. If that's the deal, then I should sell the first pair and PayPal them.

I ordered the same size as you, so hopefully mine come in unmangled and manage to fit. I wear a 6.5 women's, so I'm hopeful they'll be more comfortable on me than they were on you.

My shoes came in -- uneaten, at that! And they're a perfect fit (I had been worried they'd be too big until you said yours were too small!).

My Pendleton sweater came in, and it's extraordinarily warm. I'm wearing it right now. Can't wait until my replacement pants come in; then I'll be able to Dude it up.

My Pendleton sweater came in, and it's extraordinarily warm. I'm wearing it right now. Can't wait until my replacement pants come in; then I'll be able to Dude it up.

That's been my fear about getting a genuine one to wear at a con - too hot. I'm sticking with the repro in cotton/acrylic - will report back when it arrives.

[regarding the orientation of the fabric on the Colores Del Pueblo dude pants]

I'm thinking that in order to minimize wasted fabric, they cut out a left leg and a right leg 180 degrees from each other. And it's just a tossup which way they happened to cut it as to which leg gets the correct order. But that's just a guess.

I had some nice e-mails with Deborah @ Colores, and she followed what I was saying about the orientation. She said that she'd talk to the seamstress about it, but currently they were out of the dude fabric. They'd be weaving some more and have available in the April time frame. I said that would be fine and returned my Medium, in anticipation of getting a custom Medium in the future with longer legs (or just some dude-weaved fabric if they're not setup for custom length legs).

Zen, my repro sweater is hot as hell, man. Heheh. No lie.

Sig, Deborah is truly helpful, isn't she? She's great. They do very good work. I can't wait to see if they pull off their best screen accurate pant.

Tickets for Lebowski Fest Los Angeles just went on sale at 10am pacific. I hope to see you Dudes and Dudettes there!
KeepCalmStudio.com-[Crown]-Keep-Calm-And-calmer-Than-You-Are.jpg

Last edited:
I think I scored pretty big for my "close enough for now" shopping at Goodwill for a total of $18. Movie costumes on the left and my close enoughs on the right. Everything fits at the waist and all that needs done is hemming the blue/green plaid pants into shorts and sewing drawstrings into the khakis.PicsArt_1392784544890.jpg
PicsArt_1392783951058.jpg
PicsArt_1392783837495.jpg

I think I scored pretty big for my "close enough for now" shopping at Goodwill for a total of $18.

Nice. I like your matching style.
I always end up second guessing myself when I try "close enough", so I end up not trying as many things as I should. I'm pumped that I think I can eventually put together one dude outfit for which I won't second guess myself:
- pendleton cardigan
- purple v-neck t-shirt
- colores del pueblo pants
- otomix shoes

My replacement Otomix arrived today. They are truly works of art. Beautiful! I emailed Olympian's Store informing them of my intention to sell the pair of 38s and PayPal the funds to them.
So, I have a brand new pair of Euro size 38(USA 5 or 5½) with the following slight imperfections around the opening of the left shoe. Appears as though some of the thin coating came off, but the seller and I don't know what caused it.
20140204_114317.jpg
They cost me $120 USD, but I'm asking $100 + shipping.

Zombie or Sig wanna take this one?
Sure. First, here are the basics:

1. The Dude's sweater was made by Pendleton; it debuted in 1974 and was called the "Westerley". The style is "cardigan" and the pattern is commonly referred to as "Cowichan" (though there are countless Cowichan patterns). Note: Due to the sweater's popularity, in 2011 Pendleton released a "tribute" sweater they called the "Dude". It's also a cardigan with a zipper, but the colors and patterns are different from the Dude's sweater.

2. Unlike most cardigans, the Dude's sweater has a zipper rather than buttons. The zipper itself can be a point of contention among die-hards, since zippers on older wardrobe items have often been replaced. The zipper on the original sweater has a 1.5" diameter "ring pull" tab, and was made by YKK.

3. Colors. The Dude's sweater is primarily light tan/cream. The horizontal stripes are dark brown, and the Cowichan pattern is black. This is important because Pendleton made the sweater with the same patterns in at least eight different color combinations.

Now, there are some "imitation" sweaters available. "Homemade" and "custom" sweaters are usually fairly accurate, but the mass-produced sweaters usually differ in some way. Here's an example:

Dude_Sweater_zpsb45cd97f.jpg

A. On the original sweater, the "Z" pattern is the same on the left and right sides of the front of the sweater. On the replica, the "Z" pattern is mirrored.

B. The position of the "center" pattern is slightly different on the replica.

Hope this helps!

20140227_205308-1.jpg
I can't recall who commented or which previous post this stems from. But someone had mentioned the difference in Otomix shoes. Perhaps this is what they were referring to. At left is the bottom of the size 38 which arrived with very slight damage around the opening of the left shoe. At right is the replacement size 40(I needed a larger size) which has black accents and a different pattern. The Dude's appear to be like the one's on the left.
Screenshot_2014-02-27-22-25-34-1.png

20140228_011754.jpg
A few of you had asked about labels for The Dude's beeper. Thanks to Dan Almasy for the initial workups, I finally got to it tonight and I printed a few extras. I'm moving March 3rd, so I guess if you want to send me a SASE once I have my new address or something, then I'll happily oblige. I'll also bring a few to Lebowski Fest in Los Angeles.

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster!

I rocked my first Dude costume at PAX Prime 2013 and was stopped for all sorts of pictures (alas, i never got a good one to post myself). A lot of it was pieced together from suggestions and items posted on here. I'm attending Emerald City ComiCon (ECCC) this weekend with some improvements to it (although my haircut didn't turn out the way i hoped). I'll post a couple pictures if I get a chance. I went with the bathrobe look, using some shorts from Eddie Bauer, bathrobe from Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Okabashi sandals, "official" Dude sunglasses, and a Hanes v-neck tee. The bathrobe could use some dyeing for a darker color (currently a light sand color), but it was the best I could find at the time.

I was carrying around a faux white russian (watered down coffee & cream in a bucket glass), but since ECCC is more kid-friendly I'm going with a quart of Half & Half using the Ralph's store images someone on here created, which I can't find at the moment to give credit to the person. It's shoddy last-minute work the night before I'm using it, but it'll do the job and work better for the outfit (scene-wise) than a caucasian in hand. ...plus I don't have to worry about spilling on anyone in the crowd who bums into me ("careful, man. there's a beverage here!")

IMG_1709.JPG

...next step is to shed about 40+ lbs to get back into a Dude-esque beer belly physique, then put together a couple of the other outfits (the grey hoodie, tee, shorts, combo for starters) so I can do a full weekend con with change of attire as needed. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back