48" Star Destroyer Avenger Brim Trench Help

pcolabobafett

I have been working on a 48" Star Destroyer Avenger, I have the frame complete and lower hull in place. the problem I am having is that I haven't found very many high res. pics of the trench details, AND still being new to model building, I not good(YET) at IDing parts. I just want to thank everyone ahead of time for your help.

These are the kits I have collected so far

REVELL
1/76 Jagdpanzer IV
1/76 Jagdpanther Sd.kfz.173
1/76 Pzk pfw II
1/72 Hummel
1/72 M48 A2GA2
1/72 Leopard 2
1/72 Pzk pfw III
1/720 Admiral Graf Spee
1/720 Prinz Eugen
U.S.S. Ward

AIRFIX
1/72 88mm Gun & Tractor
1/72 Churchill Tank
1/72 Scorpion Tank
1/72 Tiger I
1/76 Panther
1/76 Panzer IV
1/76 Bren Gun Carrier & 6pdr anit-tank gun
1/76 88mm Gun and Tractor
1/76 Matilda Hedgehog
1/600 HMS Ark Royal

TAMIYA
1/35 20mm Flakvierling 38
1/35 BMW R75
1/35 Marder 1A2
1/35 Mobelwagon flakpanzer IV
1/35 Mobelwagon Sd.kfz 3.7cm flak
1/35 Quad Gun Tractor & 25pdr
1/35 Churchill Crocodile
1/700 Hatsuyuki
1/700 Gneisenau
1/700 Rodney
1/700 Jintsu
1/700 Tatsuta
1/700 Prince of Wales
1/700 Scharnhorst
1/700 King George V
1/700 Nelson
1/700 Shinano(new)
1/700 Hornet
1/700 Hood

ITALERI
1/720 U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln
1/720 Admiral Kuznetsov

Martyn (Nwerke) posted awesome pics he took of the 8 footer somewhere here, I think you should take a look at them.

However I dont understand, you said you're not good at ID'ing parts, but since you're not building a studio scale replica, you dont have to find the right parts...

I'm not good with imperial measures but 48" sounds like it's 1/2 studio scale, so that's good you're trying to find 1/72 / 1/76 stuff to match the 1/35 models used on the original but for the Tamiya kit of your lists, many were used on the original so you cant use them on your model (well you can of course, except if you're trying to match the kit parts by finding 1/2 scaled parts).

I know exactly what you are talking about. I've been working on my SD for three years,and still looking for as many smaller scale parts as possible. I finally started just using what ever was close or making it myself out of styrene. Scratchy and MonsieurTox have really helped my project move a little quicker. Good luck in your search..help if I can. Love to see what you've got so far...Pictures by mgriffin27 - Photobucket

using as many originals as possible is a good plan. It will give it the true studio scale feel...........honestly if you use even the incorrect parts it will still feel perfect because it's such a busy model to begin with. Also, keep in mind that since the original films were released, many of the kit parts have disappeared (fallen off etc) so you have some leeway on what you use. :)

The SD looks awesome mgriffin........I'm going to wait til i have a little more done before i post pics.

Scratchy.......thanks for the pics..........I have seen several of them, but not all, they will be a huge help. I do have both of the books You named, GREAT books.

From what I can see i does look like mostly ship parts were use on the trench.

Thanks Tox

I did pics up Revell theses kits
1/720 Arizona
1/72 M3
1/72 M16
1/72 M60 A3
1/72 Tiger I

Any other known kits I need for the trench/hangers would be great

Doing a list would be insane, you can find what you want in the Star Destroyer part ID thread and in my building thread, that's mostly about the bridge, neck, superstructures and hangar but so far I havent found any specific kit used for the brim trenches, they all are the same.

As far as I know there is no Tiger I bits on the original, nor M60 A3...

The Revell kits (actually the reboxed Esci kits) are very nice kits, most of the time the breakdown and the details look like their bigger Tamiya counterparts ! I used those kits on my small ISD, and they did the job very well !

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back