Removing paint from resin with... EasyOff? Recomended?

wackychimp

Sr Member
So I've heard that you can remove spray paint from resin with Easy Off oven cleaner. Is this true?

I'm getting ready to refinish my fertility idol and wanted to remove the hardware store gold and finish with the Alsa gold chrome spray.

Anyway, wondering if this is advised. I'd hate to eat away the resin or something. ;)

Thanks for your advice.

EDIT: NEW QUESTION: I soaked it with EasyOff yesterday (since I already had some) and it's not budging the paint. How much scrubbing should I expect to have to do?

Last edited:
Actually i had a thread like this. you can find an autozone or walmart and look for Power Purple. Its a cleaner that is safe on resin (so far it didn't eat my gun after 2 days lol). You may have to use a tooth brush to get in the cracks but it works great. It's about 13.00 for 2.5 gallons which i suggest getting because you will find many uses for this stuff. You will want to let it since in water for a day so that anything from the power purple is rinsed off and then i'd rinse it in soapy water one more time before painting.

I use Easy-Off all the time. Very caustic so don't get it on your skin or breath it!!!

Best thing is to put it in a plastic bag and spray it, then zip the bag up and leave it for a while. (a few hours). Then take it out of the bag and scrub it off with a brush.

FB

I messed up on a Snowtrooper backpack (ABS plastic) and used Easy Off (The Yellow Can, if it matters. There's also a black can, which I think is either Extra Strength or for BBQ's.).

It took probably 10-15 minutes before it started flaking off and I used a plastic scrapper to get the paint off. What didn't scrape off, I used some more Easy Off. Probably took me less than an hour to get everything off.

You may want to test some Easy Off on the Idol to make sure it doesn't warp. I had some damage that looked like if I had taken a lighter to the ABS and it singed the material, leaving a burnt/warped mark.

Purple power all the way! I've been using purple power for years with resin and plastic model kits. The new formula is a bit weaker now but it still does the job. I've let resin items soak in it for months with no negative effect, although plastic injection kits do become brittle in it after sometime (had one in for 4-5 months, became sorta white and hard). If you leave it in there for a day or week, you should be fine, just don't forget they are in there like I do.

Being in the UK I'm not quite sure what your brand names are over there but, if you're looking for something quick, I stripped 8 layers of paint in about 15 minutes off resin using Nitro Mors, which is dichloromethane based. It didn't damage the PU resin at all but you should wash it well after each application.

The easiest way is to dip it in Pinesol (original pinesol only no Lemon) it will take all the paint off without harming the plastic. Leave completely submerged in covered plastic container for 24-48 hours and then simply wash and scrub off excess under cold water.

Pinesol does work, though it can damage some plastics. I had a action figure I was stripping for a custom paint job and it ended up destroying the figure. Probably my fault as it was my first and last attempt at using Pinesol, just thought I would throw that out there.

I just used easy-off today to strip the paint off of a resin Stargate GDO and it worked wonderfully. It sat for about 4 hrs and was clean right down to the plastic.

Alex

I've used both Purple Power and Easy-Off on resin and never had a problem. Both seem to work; the Easy-Off is faster but the Purple Power is safer.

I use Easy-Off all the time. Very caustic so don't get it on your skin or breath it!!!
FB

Absolutely true! If you get Easy-Off on your skin, it feels slippery. It ISN'T slippery... that is the top layer of your skin dissolving!

I used Easy Off on a plastic kit years ago, it worked fine and didn't hurt the plastic. But it did eat my fingerprints off!

If you want the paint off NOW, lacquer thinner will do it. I've used it on resin and fiberglass with no damage. Soak a rag with thinner (wear gloves :$) and rub the paint off. Don't use it on styrene, it'll melt it.

Purple Power sounds like good stuff, I'm gonna try it next time. I've also heard that Westley's Bleach White works, but I haven't tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Easy Off to strip several layers of primer off my 1:1 Han in Carbonite panel which I think is made from "fast cast"

**I'm no expert on the differences between resin, fast cast and fiberglass but it worked great for me

My 2 cents

brad

Hmmmm... soaked it with EasyOff yesterday (since I already had some) and it's not budging the paint.

How much scrubbing should I expect to have to do?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I use acetone. Do it outside and wear gloves and goggles. It'll strip off any paint. Just get a metal pan or layers of cardboard to help collect the sludge.

I've also used it on old vinyl kits before without problems.

I didn't paint this to begin with so I'm not sure. I think it's just some kind of rattle can gold.

I've let the EasyOff soak for a few hours and scrubbed with a toothbrush and it doesn't come off. Tried it again with the EO overnight and same thing... paint didn't budge.

I may have to look in to acetone or the purple stuff. Other suggestions/recommendations?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back