Steampunked Nerf gun

dbdbbd

After watching Time Bandits some friends and I decided we were going to make our own time bandit outfits, but I wanted to go a bit more steampunk with mine so I began the daunting task of finding bits for a costume. I have a Nerf Spectre, which in my opinion is pretty steampunk looking already, but I wanted it to really look steampunk. I wanted to test out my process first before moving onto my favorite gun, so I tried it on my Maverick first, this is that process:

First disassemble the gun, this will allow for the best coverage possible
DSC00150.jpg

Be sure to keep track of all the little bits and screws, also take a picture of the internal mechanics just so you don't forget how to put it back together.

Next if theres any lettering or logos you don't want on your finished gun sand them off. I used a 180p to sand it down and then 340p to get a smother look. Remember that you don't have to get it perfect the paint will cover up the minor stuff.

Then you can start painting. I used a plastic bonding spray paint on mine, and used a double coat on most the pieces. If you want to do detailing painters tape and paper work great.
DSC00152.jpg

The only thing left to do is reassemble and add your extras.
DSC00154.jpg

I haven't added any extras yet to mine, still looking for those perfect pieces. Constructive criticism is welcomed, as well as other hints and tips. I'd also like to know if there is any easy way to add a green tarnished look to the gun. Once all is done I'll upload more pics.

The Maverick is such a fun gun to work with. There are so many mods available for this gun and so many paint schemes that look cool too. I think your work looks proper.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back