New Vegas NCR Veteran Ranger WIP

qckslvr546

Hey, been wanting to make this character for a while but couldn't figure out how since I've never used pepakura, foam, rondo or any of that stuff lol. But then I saw Kommissar' s build (http://www.therpf.com/f24/fallout-new-vegas-ncr-veteran-ranger-finished-pg-8-a-101257/) and it really helped so I decided to try my hand at it. This is my first build and like I said first time using pepakura, foam, resin so it should be interesting lol I can usually only work on it on weekends so it's going to be kind of a slow build but my main hope is that anyone also doing this or their first build will be able to learn from my most likely many mistakes lol. Here's the character for reference.
NCR.jpg

Starting with the mask first. Cut it out using xacto knife and hot glued it together.
IMG_0014.jpg

And made my first mistake lol Folded the ends mountain instead of valley and you end up with this
IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

I ended up just cutting sections out to make them fit flat
IMG_0020.jpg

Pieces all put together
IMG_0021.jpg

Like Kommissar, I wanted to make some parts out of real stuff instead of paper so I put paper over some of the sections and added to the forehead a little so I would have to some extra room if my helmet moves around
IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Thought I'd show some of the materials I'll be using while my resin dries.

Here's the fiberglass helmet liner Im using as the helmet instead of a paper one. Got it at an army surplus store for $10
IMG_0025-1.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

The foam for the armor from Harbor Freight
IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

The 1/4" foam that will be wrapped around my chest and have the armor pieces glued to it. I think it's called car roof liner foam or something.
IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Dark brown duck cloth for the duster. Will show a pic of the pattern when it comes in.
IMG_0031.jpg

Good stuff so far. I'm starting to consider doing this one for myself.
Cool thanks and you should, its alot of fun.

For learning to resin or rondo I highly recommend these videos How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish
Since I've never used resin or rondo before and I didn't want to ruin a mask that took 2 days to make I made a quick practice one. A splicer mask from bioshock, which I've wanted to make anyway lol, and used it to practice resining and applying rondo to. Only took about 3 hours to put together but I've heard people make a shoulder pad or something small from a halo armor as a practice piece. I highly recommend doing this to get your resin/hardner, resin/bondo/hardner combinations figured out.

Here's my practice mask all resined and rondod
IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Everything seems to be pretty sturdy although I did add too much hardener to my first batch of rondo and it completely hardened in 10 minutes lol

Will update this weekend with a hopefully fully resined and rondod gas mask and going to try to get all the armor cut and put together.

nice, glad alot of my tricks i used are providing you with the right stuff to get it done.
i used around 4 1/2 yards of the duck for my coat. so depending on size, you may want around 5 yards

Resined mask, rondod mask and hopefully armor tomorrow
IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

Was going to wrap the mask around my face and put electrical wire as a hold to make it fit but decided to do it during the rondo fase instead, hope it works out lol

This is going to be exciting to follow!
I am very much looking forward to seeing your pattern for the duster!
I really want to make one of those coats :D

Ummmm.....hey guys. Im new to anything involving costumes, but will be attending a Fallout LARP soon, and have a surplus of time on my hands due to being in highschool, and thought this would be a fun project... any suggestions on where to start?

Ummmm.....hey guys. Im new to anything involving costumes, but will be attending a Fallout LARP soon, and have a surplus of time on my hands due to being in highschool, and thought this would be a fun project... any suggestions on where to start?

checking my thread that's linked on the first post in this thread is a good start, i've got links to the papercraft i used for the mask, as well as places i got some of my materials.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back