Detail:

glam4small.jpg

Working Ammo Counter:

glam5.jpg

sismall.jpg

glam2small.jpg

glam4small.jpg

glam5.jpg

This is one of the threads that inspired me to join RPF!

Unitl a few months ago, I had no clue about modifying and painting Nerf guns and their relatives; never even suspected the existence of that subculture. Now that I have been awakened, I find lots of promising project material in discount stores, e.g.:

SplashRayGun_02b.jpg

This pursuit could keep me busy for a while!

Quick scope build update

Not sure about the thing on top, might replace it as I have something else that would go.

That is why the RPF is awesome baby!!.....:D

$5 Nerf....small cell batteries......cut down motherboard.......paint and rub and buff..........

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd422/501ghostrider/Nerf Weapons/DSCF6046.jpg
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd422/501ghostrider/Nerf Weapons/DSCF6079.jpg
That is an awesome piece of work, love the new paint scheme, the greeblie additions, and I second MJF's comment about the screw holes, that makes such a difference. My only negative thought has to do with the button cells as detail, nothing wrong with the idea as such but I have found that they can start too leak after a while, just a thought!

Roughneckone :)

Hey, anybody know where I can find some phony labels to put on a weapon? I see some guys are doing that (I'm looking at you, Johnson Arms). I'm currently repainting a cheap electronic ray gun for my brother and want to try and place some kind of hazard label on it somewhere. Also, any advice on how to print it and attach it to the toy would be helpful.

Thanks for the help!
S

Hey, anybody know where I can find some phony labels to put on a weapon? I see some guys are doing that (I'm looking at you, Johnson Arms). I'm currently repainting a cheap electronic ray gun for my brother and want to try and place some kind of hazard label on it somewhere. Also, any advice on how to print it and attach it to the toy would be helpful.

Thanks for the help!
S
Your best guess would be decal printing paper from Testors. Simply print desired decal, cut out, apply.

Avery makes a variety of "transparent" sticky-back inkjet and laser label products; however, the stuff I have (inkjet) is lightly frosted, not truly transparent. Depends on what you want.

My cheapo Blade Runner blaster:
View attachment 348791
View attachment 348792

It began life as this: http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Army-Lights-Sounds-Machine-Pistol/dp/B00AFK01YK/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

I took it apart, cut off things that weren't supposed to be there (like the non-movable hammer and the huge sight), and added a few other things (the upper barrel, made from audio cable connectors; the lower barrel and second trigger, both from a revolver from a dollar store; and halves of a bottle of hand sanitizer for covering up the fake bullets), put it back together, and painted it.

Figuring out how to simulate transparency on the handle was tricky. I had painted the entire handle silver, and first, I wanted to use transparent paint for glass, but I couldn't find any in the right color. I ultimately decided to try going over it with orange and yellow-orange Sharpies and then putting on a few layers of Mod Podge to seal it and make it shiny. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

I've been planning to do the same thing, getting the same one off of Amazon even, but I've never gotten around to it. Now that I've seen how great yours turned out I'll have to bump that project up in the queue.

Hey, guys. I haven't done a gun for awhile, but here's one I just did for my brother. Looks better in person, actually. I snapped this before he went home with it. He LOVED it!

IMG_2415.jpg

I'm getting ready to jump into my first round of making prop weapons for a costume. So far it looks as if I should practice on a few before I tackle the piece I really want to do. Any beginner mistakes I should look out for? I'm looking to make a steampunk blaster and lightsaber.

I'm a leaf on the wind.

Clean the surfaces.

Watch the dry times...some paints are lenient, some will fleck and bubble if you hit a second coat at the wrong time. When in doubt consult the back of the can, when really in doubt spray something you won't miss.

Save messing with actions until you are comfortable stripping them down and re-building them. All that silly stuff with washers and so forth is just to get a few more feet of throw out of the darts -- by pushing the design margins out past where the designers wanted them. Fun to do when you get there, and some of it (like the full-drop on the Maverick rev 5) is really nice to have, but most of it is just tweak.

Start with trash so you feel free to experiment. You discover more with one mistake or happy accident than you do with ten paint jobs that went the way you planned them.

After that, it's all needs and aesthetics. Think about what the repaint and customization is supposed to accomplish. Weigh the trade-offs; does it need to be light enough to carry all day, does it need to be sturdy enough to fit in a holster? Would it be better to have a con-safe bright orange barrel or is it more important it look as real as possible? Display or use, close-up or emphasized, realistic or exuberant....

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back