Nerf Gun Props? YES!

What base gun is this one?

IMG_5779.jpg

Here is a Nerf Longshot CS-6 that I removed a few pieces from and added some others to, then weathered up for a Halloween night out among the drunks as a sandtrooper.
5fd72951.jpg

f3fd7811.jpg

More recently, I painted and weathered a couple of old blasters for younger cousins and some friends' boys for playing around. And for painting practice for me.

Weekend weather was finally nice enough to set up outside for a couple of hours and do the bulk of the painting. Because I was painting a lot of similar items, I had a nice little assembly going. Paint one, let it dry while painting the next couple of pieces. Come back to the first one for painting the next effect or layer. The spray paints dried quick enough for this project's purposes, and I also worked on them while still tacky for making some of the textures, like scratching a rough grain effect on the stocks.

Experimented with layers and textures to make wood grain effects and weathering. Fun stuff! Before all these this, I think I've weathered one costume and maybe two blasters, so this was a big leap. I had a lot of fun, and am very happy with the results.

Hasbro 1990s version E-11 Stormtrooper blaster, modded with conversion kit, painted, and weathered
f52b67ee.jpg

The newer Hasbro Boba Fett blaster rifle.
10bec89d.jpg

896cb863.jpg

1b4d3185.jpg

Random pistol
bb2d1894.jpg

Random assault rifle
b922c4dd.jpg

2a4ca57e.jpg

Got a lot done! In addition to the assault rifles, pistol, stormtrooper blaster, and Fett rifle, I also finished the Hasbro Clone Commander Blaster Rifle (I robbed the scope off of it for the Nerf CS-6),a Naboo pistol, and a DL-44 from the old lazer tag game (now where did I put that trigger?!)
144cacbd.jpg

Up next are at least four more E-11 stormtrooper blasters for the boys, and another pistol or two to go.

Thank you everyone for posting your own photos and projects, it was threads like this that helped me learn how to do my own.

IMG_5699.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg

Nerf Maverick Steampunk Style - real leather grip

This is nearly the EXACT same paint scheme I had in mind for my own Nerf guns.....You did an absoutly wonderful job on all of them, but these are hands down my favorites. I can't beleive how much better everything looks. :thumbsup

Nice job on the D9 gun as well!

This is nearly the EXACT same paint scheme I had in mind for my own Nerf guns.....You did an absoutly wonderful job on all of them, but these are hands down my favorites. I can't beleive how much better everything looks. :thumbsup

Nice job on the D9 gun as well!

Thank you very much! It always gives me a kick when I find other people who dig this craziness, you know? I suppose paintings are just paint on fabric, so why can't art be on a plastic toy gun? :)

Great job by the other guys who have posted their stuff, it's fun seeing the other unique ideas that people come up with besides whats rolling around in my brain, heh.

Wow, that is one bad-ass toy.
This is exactly why I sometimes wish I was a kid again...

I have to admit that when I'm laying down supression fire as my son advances on an enemy refrigerator box it takes me back to being a kid. :) Ya, I had a weird upbringing heh

What paint do you use? I have a Maverick just itching for a new paint job.

Model Masters by testors for the detail and if you're limited to rattle cans for the basecoats, I like krylon. Make sure you really shake em up and keep them in a warm spot. Cold weathr makes the paint gummy and it will not spray evenly.

Got a lot done! In addition to the assault rifles, pistol, stormtrooper blaster, and Fett rifle, I also finished the Hasbro Clone Commander Blaster Rifle (I robbed the scope off of it for the Nerf CS-6),a Naboo pistol, and a DL-44 from the old lazer tag game (now where did I put that trigger?!)
144cacbd.jpg

Up next are at least four more E-11 stormtrooper blasters for the boys, and another pistol or two to go.

Thank you everyone for posting your own photos and projects, it was threads like this that helped me learn how to do my own.

Great stuff! Keep it coming!

Here is a Vulcan that I modified to fire M40 grenades. ;)

beltedgren1.jpg

vulcan4.jpg

vulcan3.jpg

vulcan2.jpg

For inspiration on this one I used some photos of old German heavy machineguns from WW2. The weathering on them was severe, and I thought it looked pretty cool. I don't usually weather my prop guns this much.

vulcan1.jpg

From reading this and other threads on painting helmets, costumes, and blasters + my own new experience, I'm learning that weathering just doesn't show up as much in photos as it does in person. Sometimes I look in person at one I've painted and think "oh man, that is just way too much weathering!" But then I look at a photo of it and think "argh! you can hardly see all the weathering I did," haha.

I want to keep playing around with it some more, but I'm slowly becoming a fan of doing the heavier weathering. I think its shows up better in photos and to others at 5ft-20ft distance in public, say like watchers along a parade route, or event attendees.

So, yes, I buy brand new plastic toy guns and purposely make them look like messed-up old real ones, haha. What a crazy world. Love it!

Thank you everyone for sharing your photos and tips. I haven't experimented with rub-n-buff yet, but hear it works well. Interested to see some more work with that if anyone would like to post.
Here is a Vulcan that I modified to fire M40 grenades. ;)

For inspiration on this one I used some photos of old German heavy machineguns from WW2. The weathering on them was severe, and I thought it looked pretty cool. I don't usually weather my prop guns this much.

vulcan1.jpg

Okay that GL mod is just... outstanding. How did you do that weathering? It looks absurdly realistic. :eek

Thanks! I got the technique from Matsuo. I use a sharpie silver mettalic pen to weather it. I hit the highpoints with it, and smear it with my finger to look faded in some points. In others, I just barely touch the gun with the pen, and it gives me a nice little chipped spot. I use Ultra flat black from Krylon for the base paint.

It works great.

The Indy Mogul technique is great too, if you want something that looks like the finish is nearly gone, and rubbed off. I wanted something that looks like it's been banging around in the back of a drop ship for years. :)

I just finished working on a new nerf gun too, the pump action model, not sure the name . . .

Thanks JA.

Great work Azrok!

I am totally enthralled by that TRU 48. Looks like I get to go on a scavenger hunt.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back