Nerf Gun Props? YES!

Question for you guys, how hardy are these enamels, don't they eventually wear off the grips from holding them?

I usually use paints designed for "outdoor" use like painting metal such as Tremclad (US equivalent might be Rust-Oleum).

I'm also a big fan of car paints like Duplicolour.

These paints dry rock hard and can be handled (so far at least with my repaints ;) ) without fear of paint rubbing off.

as a poll, which would you do more often? tape+mask it / dissemble

I've never disassembled a Nerf gun as I'm afraid a critical spring will fly out never to be found again; so I mask off areas.

Kevin

Sarge! Man, I think that terminator future war costume is awesome. Perfect weapon or that costume IMHO.

Question for you guys, how hardy are these enamels, don't they eventually wear off the grips from holding them?

Not if you do it right. Clearcoating makes a difference too. It can give your props a nice long life. I have used both matte clear and glossy clear depending on the project. I'm a rattle can guy though. I almost never use brushed on paint for anything.

Also, getting protective paints such as BBQ paint, and the ultra flat camo paints makes a difference too. They seem to stand up to wear pretty well without clearcoating.

as a poll, which would you do more often? tape+mask it / dissemble

For me, it depends on the mods I want to do. For the "thunder strike" I posted earlier, I only have to remove the barrel shroud, and I did not have to take it apart. For the tornado strike, well, I took that sucker apart and have done heavy mods on mine to make it look like a real weapon, and to make it look like a killzone rifle.

I also putty the screw holes. I'm building mine to be displayed next to real guns as set dressing, and nothing gives away a painted toy faster than 25 screw holes all over it. ;)

I just painted up my tornado strike today, but it's fully not assembled yet. Pics tomorrow I think.

I personally do all of the above when it comes to sealing a paintjob, it just depends on the application. There's a few other tricks and products I use on the high-wear parts ofthe guns, but honestly if it's used all the time with sweaty hands, you will eventually break down any barrier.

For masking/disassemble you really have to do both. I take them apart to paint the interior barrels and stuff that would show from the outside. An exception is in the part of the gun where the darts get chambered. Paint can gum that stuff up quick. Tape is great for surface areas like grills and other panels, etc..

on to the photos.. :)

Someone say Tornado Strike? ;)

Done
IMG_6148.jpg

P90 in the works..just wait for the finished gun, promise.
IMG_6151.jpg

AT getting through the insane masking portion
IMG_6149.jpg

I disassemble and mask parts off. For me it just makes it way easier to get those hard to reach places since I usually go for that "off the production line" look moreso than the weathered look and only use spray paints. Occasionally I'll do a grey primer coat, with a chrome coat, and then a flat black coat over top and hit the heavy wear areas wit some light sanding to weather it a bit, but not usually.

I'm bumping my own post, I need sugestions.

Throw a silencer on the front, glue some dummy bullets into the holes for holding the darts and call them single barrel back ups. Give it a light weathering and it could be a very cool high tech assassin gun.

Looks cool. Interesting choice of colors and weathering. Do you have any method to those choices, any kind of stories in your head that relates to them? Or do you just look at a piece and say "Gold and black"?

Interesting question! I'd say that generally when I'm painting something, I try to think of what metal would best suit a gun's parts (barrel hand grip, body, etc..) were it really firing bullets :)

As far as with this particular gun, I felt it just looked more menacing in the black metal. The gold was just a really strong contrasting color and gives off a "I'm not worried about hiding from ya" vibe, heh. The next one will be much more "space marines" in style.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back