Walking Dead Sheriff Uniform

Hey all, long-time lurker here! This thread has been loads of help as I've been trying to get this costume together! Would this site be useful to anyone re: the holster? West Coast Army Navy
It's probably the thing that I've found hardest to find!

Hey everyone!
Long time lurker, first time posting on this thread. I came across this thread this past spring and built up my Rick Grimes outfit for one reason (other than the obvious). It was for the Zombie Dash here in my home town of Grand Rapids, MI. It was this past Saturday and I had a blast. Over 1200 "survivors" and over 400 zombies attended this 5k timed event where the first wave didn't leave till 6:00pm. I waited till 7:00 (hoping the zombies would be a little more tired out......nope). Here's a short video someone posted from the event. I hope its okay to do this.

Zombie Dash Fall 2012 - YouTube

Here's the website: http://thezombiedash.com/

Again, I hope its okay to do this. I had a blast and just figured on passing on this fun idea for the rest of the fans of the walking dead!!

I got my radio at a radio specialty store used and not working for 20bucks. Ask around at different shops if they have any non working and you may find a deal.

Launched from mobile assault platform 96

Well, despite poring over all twenty some pages of this thread, I still managed to NOT get my Rick costume together in time for Halloween.

First, I ordered a cattleman hat from Texas Westernwear 9 days ago and paid for USPS Priority shipping. The company's website claims that all orders will ship within 24 hours so, adding the 2-3 days for Priority, it's about a week late. Thus far no one has returned my emails and when I call the number on the website/PayPal receipt, i get a "call can not be completed as dialed" message.

SO, I went the way a few have before me and bought the $12 Halloween cowboy hat to get me through for now.

I bought the patches from Alien Entertainment on eBay. They arrived yesterday and look great.

The rest I bought from QM. Package arrived today and it was bittersweet. The shirt is perfect and fits as well as anything I've had tailored. The campaign rope is great. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that duty belts are not sized as regular belts are, so I foolishly got a size 32, which obviously doesn't fit. I'm hopeful that I can return it for the right size or store credit. Finally, the pants are back-ordered. I wasn't notified of this when I placed the order, but it was noted in the shipping notification email (which I didn't notice, ><). Luckily I've got a pair of brown Dickies work pants that'll do for now. Knowing now how the shirt is sized (very fitted), I'm wondering if I should revise my order to get the next size bigger pants. I wear 32 jeans and in most brands that gives me room to spare. Does anyone have experience with the pants sizing on these?

I certainly won't be SA, but it's a satisfactory trick-or-treat costume. All-in-all I'm pretty happy having pulled this together in about a week and a half and it's 100% thanks to the great community here. Thank you all for your contributions.

Everyone that bought the slacks says they are very fitted and recommend going a size up for comfort.

Also, for the duty belt ... put on a pair of jeans and the "under belt" you're going to wear for the costume. Then measure around your beltline (including the buckle) this will give you the proper duty belt size.

Final note: For the un-initiated, the duty belt keepers are meant to tie your underbelt to your duty belt. This helps keep everything in the right place.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/my-walking-dead-twd-rick-grimes-sheriff-164473/

Here's a picture of my complete costume (currently entered into the halloween contest)

october312012039.jpg

If you could throw me a vote it would be amazing! I will still be adding to this thread when needed. Feel free to ask questions here or PM me for any specific details you like!

I've searched and searched and can't find any good threads about the rick grimes holster... if anyone has any advice and can help me find one i'd really appreciate it. I keep looking for black basketweave police duty holster swivel etc but any hints or suggestions would be great! Love this thread!

Hey all, long-time lurker here! This thread has been loads of help as I've been trying to get this costume together! Would this site be useful to anyone re: the holster? West Coast Army Navy
It's probably the thing that I've found hardest to find!

I think it's a pretty good little holster... did you go ahead and buy it? Let us know what it's like and maybe some photos if you did!

If you're in England that may be the biggest barrier to getting one of these holsters. From what I can tell they were only used in the US by police during the 60's-70's. I spent more time looking for the holster than anything else ... Except for the pistol.

My best search results came from "vintage swivel holster" or "swivel holster" ... Here's some active auctions I found on eBay.

Jay Pee Swivel Holster RH Bsketweave for A 4" Revolver Nice Vintage Holster | eBay

For a $35 BIN and an exacto knife this could be a 100% screen accurate holster. The shows costumer took a 4" holster and cut the barrel end to allow the 6" revolver to fit.

Smith Wesson Large Frame Black Leather Swivel Holster for 6" Models Safariland | eBay

Has a $80 BIN and could be "good enough" stand-in.

Vintage Military Police Swivel Holster Smith Wesson Colt Marked 4 38 Look | eBay

Worst of the bunch at $50 BIN but if you're desperate and short on time it could work.

Best of Luck in your search! :thumbsup

You can still get new swivel holster, Tex makes several... US Swivel Holster

Unfortunately they don't show what the revolver model looks like, but I expect it's a standard swivel holster.

Anyone know what the drop is on the one in the show? Tex will make it a "standard" drop, or two, three, or four inches... maybe I'll measure mine, it looks pretty damn accurate...

Akin - I'm glad you didn't show me this before I found mine.

It's awesome that you can still get one made, but a bit of patience googling and on eBay you can still find used ones cheap. I got mine with the correct belt for $21.

Yeah, holsters and duty gear aren't cheap. The holster I use at work right now was close to two hundred bucks...

Jay Pee Swivel Holster RH Bsketweave for A 4" Revolver Nice Vintage Holster | eBay

For a $35 BIN and an exacto knife this could be a 100% screen accurate holster. The shows costumer took a 4" holster and cut the barrel end to allow the 6" revolver to fit.

Thanks for getting back to me... that link was really good, got in too late though but had some issues getting the seller to agree to ship to the uk. Thanks for the hints... i bought a quick stand in model for cheap for now :)

Akin - I'm glad you didn't show me this before I found mine.

It's awesome that you can still get one made, but a bit of patience googling and on eBay you can still find used ones cheap. I got mine with the correct belt for $21.

Yeah I'm hoping to come across a good one... I have however found a cheap belt and a cheap speedloader for real cheap so that's pretty cool. What WOULD we do without eBay?!

Hello, all you geardos!
Another long time reader, first time writer here.
I've been trying to get my Grimes outfit together for quite some time now, and it's all falling into place slowly, but surely. I've got the shirt, hat and the duty belt. Just a few details remaining on the torso part (badge, patches and nametag). But my real problem currently is the pants. Since I live in Europe (Yoo-roop, for you yanks ;) ), specifically: Sweden, I am having a hard time getting a uniform supply company to ship some pants to me. Ordinary brown pants isn't a problem. Most stores who ship internationally have those in stock (heck, local stores have brown pants...), but I want some real-deal, braided uniform pants, and that's been a real headache for me.
I even tried to contact DocRobbins with the uniform company, but still no reply. So does anybody know of a store willing to braid some uniform pants and ship them internationally? I am more than willing to pay the price to complete my outfit.

Other than the pants, things are going nicely. I will buy the bagde and patches of eBay (that hollywoodpropbadges one looks really nice), and my hat was bought from a local americana store.
This reminds me that I must take some photos of the ensamble soon...

The gun is a work in progress, but I've been an avid airsofter for twelve years now, so I know of a few quality replicas on the market, which will be bought as soon as I can find the elusive holster. There's not really a shortage of holsters, but again a shortage of people willing to send a parcel to Yoo-roop...

So if anybody has any idea where I might turn to in order to buy myself some pants, please let me know.

Well, after doing some checking and coming across a reputable fellow who can duplicate almost any holster possible and makes holsters for law enforcement, I found out that the holster that Rick wears is an old vintage holster that hasn't been made for quite some time. The fact that it has the two straps that snap together over the hammer of the revolver shows its age.

I'm just now catching up on posts made while I was in Europe...

That two strap bit is what I meant a while back when I mentioned how I thought they used two holsters in the show. Once in a while, you can clearly see the antique two strap model... but most of the time, it's a "modern" one strap version.

Since someone else also noticed the two strap holster, I'm now positive that at least two holsters were used.

One day I need to watch season one again and figure out which holster is worn in what scene. Since season one, I've never noticed the two strap model again...

has anyone stopped to think that law enforcement have never issued 8 inch revolvers because of cost and and it too cumbersome trying to quick draw an 8 inch barrelled gun which would also make the entire gun like 15 inches just too big so based on that would leave me to believe its a 6 inch stainless .357 ctg (pythons also came in 38 special sometimes called the boa)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back