illuminated see-through Star Chart?

joeranger

Sr Member
Starwars, BSG, Top Gun...

In the command center, there is always a person making notes on a clear illuminated map/chart. I tried to make one with glow in the dark paint and a marker but it looks like crap. It does glow in the dark, but it is unimpressive.

Has anyone made one of these? I did not even know what to call it.

3467006.jpeg

Trying to find the name of it to help you... but I see these a lot in CIC (combat information center) rooms of Aircraft carriers.
You could light from all four sides. Either black light or regular.

If it were me I would make a lightbox on one side with a flouresant tube in it and only a slit for the plexi to slide in. Then have someone engrave the graphics on the plexi or try the markers.

Fluorescent acrylic sheet. It gathers light from the flat surfaces and it makes the edges glow, designs etched in the surface also glow. It's available in different colors. No special lighting needed, just the room lighting will do it.

Yeah, from what I have seen they are lit from the sides, and use special pens that capture the light to make it glow. They use it a lot in beer promo signs for bars.

Right. It works like a large flat fiber optic. Any light that strikes the surface is emitted from the edges, and designs etched in the surface will also light up. It comes in rods too, they light up at the ends.

I know Plastruct sells fluorescent sheets in small sizes, I've never looked for larger ones but I'm sure it's available.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back