Revell Voyager Paint

renaissance_man

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi,
I've decided to buy the principal ship from each Star Trek series and build the kits. I was lucky enough to pick up the re-release Revell Voyager kit recently.
My question is, are the recommended Revell Aqua Colour paints the best to use for this kit? I've heard a few people say that the enamel paints are better.

So as modellers which would you go for?
aquacolour.jpg

or

revellenamel.jpg

Thanks.

Use acrylic paints. Your airbrush will thank you. Enamels are very strong in odors and need to be cleaned up imediatley from your airbrush.
George

I don't have alot of experience with models but I'm a big fan of Voyager so can't wait to see results of the finish ship. Will you be adding lights into the model?

Unfortunately I don't have an Airbrush, I was thinking the larger areas I would try and cover with an acrylic aerosol can, and brush the smaller details.
As for lighting, it's something I'm considering, but I think I'll give the whole ship a coat of paint first start working some of the details out and make a final decision on lighting afterwards.
I'll try and take as many progress pictures as I go along.

Unfortunately I don't have an Airbrush, I was thinking the larger areas I would try and cover with an acrylic aerosol can, and brush the smaller details.
As for lighting, it's something I'm considering, but I think I'll give the whole ship a coat of paint first start working some of the details out and make a final decision on lighting afterwards.
I'll try and take as many progress pictures as I go along.

get an airbrush, preferrably a double action. you dont have to spend much either. I picked up a cheap one from ebay for a penny, plus $15 for shipping and it works fine.

as far as the action goes it's all user preference. I prefer single action because I can set it to be perfectly consistent where with a dual action it's easier to make a minor tweak that's very noticeable. One thing you DO want is something with an internal mix, its where the paint and air mix inside the brush and spray out like an aresol can, external mixture it does the opposite and from my experience they don't spray as well. I highly recommend the badger 200. Best airbrush I've ever owned.

In either case, I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Thanks for the input so far everyone.
I think had I known I'd need an airbrush I might not have bought the model kit, it's getting to be a bit more involved than I first realised. Given I want the best finish, I feel I'm going to have to invest in an airbrush.

I don't want to get into the expense of buying a compressor, so I think I'll invest in a couple of cans of compressed air when I finally settle on an airbrush.
The larger areas I'd like a uniform finish so I'll use the airbrush to cover those then hand brush the rest.
I went to the model shop today and bought the paints, I'm 1 colour short of the listed revell colours in the manual, but it's a colour used only for some small detailing, so I can pick that up at a later date.

Badger makes a spare tire adapter that's pretty cheap. You can fill up a tire for free (or cheap) and use that to power the airbrush. You could use this with the kind of badger airbrushes that hook up to the cans.

Something to look into, I used this kind of setup for years.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back