Star Tours Queue Droid Room Rex Window - Finished

joez2391

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
There is a real lack of star tours love going on these forums so I decided to do a little weekend project to try out the new Dremel that I got for Christmas. It was my first time using a Dremel so I figured I should practice using the different bits before I start on a huge project and mess it up really bad:rolleyes.
Star_Tours_Rex_Droid_Roomsvg-image6805-568.png

I found a really good refrence photo of the window at the top of Sector 2 in the waiting area in Star Tours. If you wait and stare at the window, every now and then a light would flash and you could see a silhouette of an RX droid being worked on by a almost EV-9D9 looking droid. I really like building things that aren't your everyday star wars items, because in all honestly im most likely the only person who would ever want to make this haha.
DSC06253.jpg

So I started off with a simple wooden box that I bought for a few dollars and after creating a mock up of the window design, I cut it out trying out various bits and speeds, making a few slip ups in the process, but nothing major that couldn't be fixed with some Apoxie.
DSC06255.jpg

I drew up the Rex image in Inkscape and printed it out, but it could clearly be seen even when it was not backlit. In order to get the effect of a plain window, I glued the image to the inside of a piece of .005 Styrene. It was thin enough to allow for the printed image to show through only when lit up from inside of the box. So after a few shots of primer and a light mist of white to the front of the box, here was the result...
DSC06270.jpg

DSC06272.jpg

DSC06278.jpg
(for scale, I made it about 1/18 but i did not have any star tours figures readily available at the time)
make avatar
So what do you guys think?

Very cool... though I wouldn't say you're the "only person who would ever want to make this."

Here's the version I did of the inside of the room using customized action figures.

watermark.php

Alex

Last edited:
Very cool... though I wouldn't say you're the "only person who would ever want to make this."

Here's the version I did of the inside of the room using customized action figures.

Alex

Awesomee! I love it, just cant get enough of anything Star Tours related!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back