Villains Cast in new Batman Movie: "The Dark Knight Rises"

There was no hook.

It seems the opening scene had everyone hooked but you.

Hey, CB: just a friendly little observation. You might want to reign in the defensiveness a little, because your critical thinking isn't up to speed.

Thanks for posting that, Larry. I just don't think he gets it.

Hey, thanks for the mention! (Surprised anybody read that.)
For anyone still interested, the link:
Cinema Analysis by Nick Tierce: The Dark Knight: Perfection Justified

It's a great article; one that I've shared it with a few people.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm all for youthful exuberance, and I'm all for spirited debate. I'm a big fan of dancing up to the line, even, for my own entertainment if no one else's.

But there's no reason to be a jackwagon, especially in a thread that gives us excuses to post pictures of Anne Hathaway.

anne-hathaway-1024x768-27012.jpg

It seems the opening scene had everyone hooked but you.

The opening scene only established the rules of the dream world and established characters. What was the hook? Was it the scene with Leo waking up on the beach? Was it his conversation with the older version of the Japanese man? And it sure wasn't the "mindcrime" that he and his croonies pulled off? I'd like to know so that I can tell if it really was a hook or not.

I get it, but only when someone doesn't insult me and my point of view. If you add a smiley face at the end or a J/k, then I know you're joking. If you don't, I have no choice to think I'm being insulted. That's the problem with text, you can't tell when someone's being sarcastic unless they point it out. I'm sure everyone here has experienced that situation. Why else do you think when I did burns on you I added a smiley face or a LOL face? So you knew I was joking (heck, I posted the link to Kelso's Burn Show the first time to let you know I was joking). If no one gives me the heads up, or someone else doesn't give a heads up to someone else, then how would they know what is a joke?

It's a great article; one that I've shared it with a few people.

I agree, its a great article. But where's the negatives? There's no explanation about where the film fails or perceived fails by other people, why it fails by these points of view and there is no comparison between the negatives and positives. You can't argue for something if there's only one side to it. For example, "Citizen Kane." It's classified as the best example of filmmaking and storytelling by many filmmakers. Yet, there are some filmmakers that feel it is the worst example of filmmaking. If you're going to discuss "Citizen Kane", then you'd explain the argument of those who see it as a best example and explain the argument of those who don't see it as a best example. You explain pros and cons and then you explain why which side is more right than the other if you're defending one side.

Sorry, Nick, I don't mean for that above statement to be a hurtful or a rude remark, it's just if your defending a work and presenting an article, you have to explain the pros and cons, why the pros work and don't work, and why the cons work and don't work as well. If you only explain one side without explain the cons, someone could very well misinterpret the article as propaganda. The only thing that counts as a con that I can see was where you quoted the Whiners and their comments about why they killed off Two-Face, and your explanation of why.

Again, I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, its just that's one of the things I was taught at FSU.

And if in any way any of my past posts came off as rude or defensive, I apologize to all. And if you're going to joke or kid around, post a smiley face or just simply add "J/k." Subtext is hard to understand when it comes to text alone.

I get it, but only when someone doesn't insult me and my point of view. If you add a smiley face at the end or a J/k, then I know you're joking. If you don't, I have no choice to think I'm being insulted. That's the problem with text, you can't tell when someone's being sarcastic unless they point it out.

This statement right here is indicative of the collapse of civilization, you ask me. You know how a reader knows what someone means without emoticons? By understanding grammar and syntax, by having a deep vocabulary, and digging on context.

If no one gives me the heads up, or someone else doesn't give a heads up to someone else, then how would they know what is a joke?

I'm going to start my own English class and make everyone under 30 attend. I assume I will be quite busy.

ermey.jpg

"A simile is not a metaphor, worm!"

Last edited:
Sorry, Nick, I don't mean for that above statement to be a hurtful or a rude remark

Don't worry, you aren't capable of hurting me. It was never meant as a definitive piece of writing about the movie. If someone would like me to write a book about it, I'd be happy to dedicate a heathy portion to addressing the recurring criticism of it's dissenters, but this was not the purpose of the piece. It was a critical analysis of what I percieved to be it's dramatic and narrative functions.

It was not, as you said, meant to "defend" anything. It stands alone and a self-contained analysis of a work. You're reading it in the context of this local discourse, but it was not intended to answer anything so specific.

If someone would like me to write a book about it, I'd be happy to dedicate a heathy portion to addressing the recurring criticism of it's dissenters, but this was not the purpose of the piece. It was a critical analysis of what I percieved to be it's dramatic and narrative functions.

Nick, as much as I enjoyed your treatise, I find it significantly lacking in regards to the cameo of the Cillian Murphy character and his involvement with the study of Medieval agrarian history. Please re-address.

Nick, as much as I enjoyed your treatise, I find it significantly lacking in regards to the cameo of the Cillian Murphy character and his involvement with the study of Medieval agrarian history. Please re-address.

:lol

It's funny, a "treatise" is exactly what the guy on AintItCool called it when I submitted it for a Dark Knight related contest they were holding. Too long for some, too short for others. ;)

(Emoticons so that everyone understands.)

This statement right here is indicative of the collapse of civilization, you ask me. You know how a reader knows what someone means without emoticons? By understanding grammar and syntax, by having a deep vocabulary, and digging on context.

Unfortunately, I do understand all that. And all that context in comments like, "I said that statements by him in the vein of "Inception is the most boring of Nolan's films" and trying to support his arguments by anecdotally offering the ratio of people dressing up in costumes at cons and the like as just the folly of youth. More adolescent gobbledy-**** like that, and I'd be swayed to CTF's appraisal that he's bordering on the ignorant" I have no choice but to think as a slap in the face because not only literally is it a slap in the face, it's a contextual, syntax and even grammatically a slap in the face. So... Unless you were being sarcastic in attempt to make a joke... Then how are we suppose to know? :lol

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I do understand all that. And all that context in comments like, "I said that statements by him in the vein of "Inception is the most boring of Nolan's films" and trying to support his arguments by anecdotally offering the ratio of people dressing up in costumes at cons and the like as just the folly of youth. More adolescent gobbledy-**** like that, and I'd be swayed to CTF's appraisal that he's bordering on the ignorant" I have no choice but to think as a slap in the face because not only literally is it a slap in the face, it's a contextual, syntax and even grammarical slap in the face. So... Unless you were being sarcastic in attempt to make a joke... Then how are we suppose to know? :lol

Oh, dear. First of all, it's not a "literal" slap-in-the-face. I did not slap you in the face. I haven't slapped anyone in the face, today. I doubt I've slapped anyone in the face since 1973, and my sister deserved it. So, right there, I don't think you're displaying a working knowledge of grammar, syntax, and context, but I allow that may be my own personal bias. Impartial judges will have to stipulate you don't have "a deep vocabulary" as you've used "literal slap in the face" incorrectly, though.

Second of all: "...I have no choice but to think as a slap in the face because not only literally is it a slap in the face, it's a contextual, syntax and even grammarical slap in the face. So... Unless you were being sarcastic in attempt to make a joke... Then how are we suppose to know? " This is a train wreck of a sentence and (leaving aside the typos) I can't respond to something I have no idea the meaning of which you are attempting to impart.

0101546B.jpg

Oh, dear. First of all, it's not a "literal" slap-in-the-face. I did not slap you in the face. I haven't slapped anyone in the face, today. I doubt I've slapped anyone in the face since 1973, and my sister deserved it. So, right there, I don't think you're displaying a working knowledge of grammar, syntax, and context, but I allow that may be my own personal bias. Impartial judges will have to stipulate you don't have "a deep vocabulary" as you've used "literal slap in the face" incorrectly, though.

Second of all: "...I have no choice but to think as a slap in the face because not only literally is it a slap in the face, it's a contextual, syntax and even grammarical slap in the face. So... Unless you were being sarcastic in attempt to make a joke... Then how are we suppose to know? " This is a train wreck of a sentence and (leaving aside the typos) I can't respond to something I have no idea the meaning of which you are attempting to impart.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

I included a :lol and you didn't get I was kidding. :lol

The cool thing about Catwoman is that she's in love with Batman and not Bruce Wayne. Isn't that a fun angle compared to all the other "love interest" characters.

Nick

anne_hathaway.jpg

The cool thing about Catwoman is that she's in love with Batman and not Bruce Wayne. Isn't that a fun angle compared to all the other "love interest" characters.

Depends on the material. If I recall correctly, other than "Batman Returns", didn't in one of the comics, that Selina and Bruce figured out that they were Catwoman and Batman?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back