DrWho Eccleston Jacket

I was almost sold on the Wearwolf jacket but the back belt buttons look way too close together from their website photos.

I have a wested, I don't like it. The jacket is heavy and a number of details on it just don't satisfy me. I got a Magnoli a few years ago before he re-tweaked the design. There were a lot of changes to the stock I had done that are reflected in what he now offers, but there's things I missed that are better on his present offering.

If the Badwolf coat weren't twice the price of a Magnoli I might go for it.

Just throwing this out there, this jacket matches all of the details of the 9ths jacket including the inner sleeves. Any chance they aged one of these for the one used in the show (at least the one on the BadWolf site). Before commenting compare the details of this jacket against the photos of the real one on the BadWolf site. This is not being sold as a copy (so you would think they were not exactly trying to match that one) of the Dr Who jacket but it seems strange that it matches it so close inside and out by accident. The company is in the UK and it seems like one of these could have easily ended up in a second hand shop as the tail of where the coat used on the show was found goes.

Just a thought :lol:lol:lol

I would be convinced, except that the sleeve liner material isn't a perfect match. Their sleeves are a set of black-red-black, thick black stripe, repeat. The stripes on the real coat are black-red-black, black, blue-blue, black, repeat. Extremely close, but no cigar.

Ah, agreed then. It is really strange that they matched it that close without trying to market it as a replica??? :confused.

I suppose it is possible that they had to change suppliers for the liner fabric. Dave, I'd really like to see a good close up photo of the body liner if you can post one.

I was almost sold on the Wearwolf jacket but the back belt buttons look way too close together from their website photos.

I have a wested, I don't like it. The jacket is heavy and a number of details on it just don't satisfy me. I got a Magnoli a few years ago before he re-tweaked the design. There were a lot of changes to the stock I had done that are reflected in what he now offers, but there's things I missed that are better on his present offering.

If the Badwolf coat weren't twice the price of a Magnoli I might go for it.

Yar but the button spacing on the 9th Doctor jacket isn't quite measurable with one button missing XD

I would go for a Magnoli but...as much as I like their work every example looks off to me. XD

I would be convinced, except that the sleeve liner material isn't a perfect match. Their sleeves are a set of black-red-black, thick black stripe, repeat. The stripes on the real coat are black-red-black, black, blue-blue, black, repeat. Extremely close, but no cigar.

Yeah they do have the wrong colored sleeve liner but considering Wested didn't bother at all I'm still convinced XD I don't NEED a dead match but it would have been nice.

I suppose it is possible that they had to change suppliers for the liner fabric. Dave, I'd really like to see a good close up photo of the body liner if you can post one.

I'd love to see that as well ^_^

Just throwing this out there, this jacket matches all of the details of the 9ths jacket including the inner sleeves. Any chance they aged one of these for the one used in the show (at least the one on the BadWolf site). Before commenting compare the details of this jacket against the photos of the real one on the BadWolf site. This is not being sold as a copy (so you would think they were not exactly trying to match that one) of the Dr Who jacket but it seems strange that it matches it so close inside and out by accident. The company is in the UK and it seems like one of these could have easily ended up in a second hand shop as the tail of where the coat used on the show was found goes.

Just a thought :lol:lol:lol

That isn't the real jacket, that's the badwolf replica (as indicated by the page those photos were lifted from). Also, they both have the cuff strap details wrong. There's only one stitching line along the edge, no second inner stitch like on the back belt. Also on the screen-worn jacket the arm seam does not meet the back seam nor is there any inch-wide overlap along the vertical seams. Further, the button hole on the lapel on the screen-used appears to be parallel to the top seam, not noticeably angled from it.

The Bad Wolf coat and Wearwolf coats don't match the screen used coat from at least half the Eccelston episodes and every promotional photo out there.

Last edited:
The Bad Wolf coat and Wearwolf coats don't match the screen used coat from at least half the scenes.
From your screen caps you are right. They Bad Wolf and Wear Wolf do seem to match each other fairly close though. I wounder if that is the company making the BadWolf jacket and they just mode the stock one a bit and sell it through the BadWolf site. That could explain why it looks like someone tried to match the Who jacket but they are not marketing it on the site as such.

There's only one stitching line along the edge, no second inner stitch like on the back belt.
That is interesting. This shot that Risu took from the display of the jacket has the double stitching on the sleeve :confused. Did they use a few different ones?

Here is his thread.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/my-doctor-who-related-trip-uk-106478/

UK07.jpg

Last edited:
They probably did get a spare jacket at some point, as having a single copy of an important costume piece would be mental. In my research I've not come across a jacket on screen that matched the details of the Bad Wolf coat, but I've also not looked at every last second of Ninth Doctor footage.

Since the story for the hero jacket is they found it in a second hand store the display jacket's probably a close-enough they had made for a stand-in or double. I can't find decent enough regenerated Tenth Doctor photos to determine if it's his or not, but I'm certain his jacket wasn't the same one shown in the photos I posted earlier.

I'll post some more pics of my jacket later. It's a flat black, i'm a bit jealous i admit of those with weathered brown jackets as they do seem a little more accurate. The lining looks correct though, and there are some great little details here and there.

Bad Wolf in the House ;)
OK,, here is the black version of a brand new (literally just out of the box from UK) Bad Wolf Eccleston Jacket. I couldn't be more pleased. In all, it took about 8 weeks to have made. No pics yet of me wearing it. I will get to it when I get someone to hold the camera. Meanwhile, enjoy these shots on the mannequin.

1 BW front.jpg5 BW back.jpg6 BW back.jpg8 BW front.jpg9 BW collar.jpg10 BW sleeve liner.jpg11 BW closed.jpgBad Wolf Label 2014.jpg

And for reference:

christopher-eccleston-doctor-who-ninth-277908-1280x800.jpg

There doesnt seem to be a definitive thread for 9's jacket, so I thought Id post here in the hope that there are people still following. I recently went to Cardiff hoping to get a few ref pictures, but & I noticed that the jacket at The Doctor Who Experience doesnt match the Hero originally worn anymore, but years ago, when I saw the costume display in London, Im sure it was the original. Can anyone confirm that for me, or am I going mad? If Im right, what happened to the original, has it been auctioned off? I remember a bunch off stuff a few years ago was sold for Children in Need. Was 9's jacket(s) part of the auction?? The reason I'm asking is I love this jacket, especially the older brown looking one and have been looking on ebay for one for years. Annoyingly a mate of mine went to Gally1 and saw a guy with a fantastic 9 jacket but he didnt know if it was an original vintage or a modern mock-up. Im really hoping there are some vintage ones out there. Did anyone take any pictures? Thanks for your help :)

I got to try on that jacket this weekend, it was the original that used to be at the exhibition in Cardiff. It is now in a personal collection and the one at the experience is a Wested replica.

I've been planning my own replica of the jacket for a while now and getting to wear it and inspect it up close confirmed for me that none of the replicas on the market come anywhere close to accurate in the collar and lapel shape.

Wow, thanks for confirming that. I thought I was going mad and then my mate was pulling my leg! Which jacket was it the Brown looking one? I am not 100% of the history, there were two right? There certainly seemed to be looking a the publicity stills etc. Right... so a lot of differences from the replica coats, are you planning a thread about it (I hope so).You dont have you any photos of it at Gally do you at all as it will help me in my quest to find an original vintage one. Glad to know the jacket is still out there. The owner is brave wearing it, id be worried incase id damage it. But good on him :) You say in private collection? I take it its now in the USA??

I don't think I should give out any info about who it belongs to, it's not my place to say. I will say that it was one of the stunts and Tennant ended up wearing it for the regeneration. It's a very beat up black with some brown wear, but it's not the hero coat. The lapels and collar on the hero coat are slightly closer in shape to the Bad Wolf and Wear Wolf replicas, but still nowhere near that large or splayed out. I actually much prefer the stunt coat as it's more unique and it was worn by both Eccleston and Tennant.

As for my own thread, I'll see what happens. I'll likely make a thread for my own 9th costume when I make some progress on it. Hopefully in the next year or so.

‎Many thanks for the info. I didn't know that there were 3 jackets! So I wonder what happened to the other two? Not junked I hope! :( Chris Eccleston is almost becoming the 'lost' Doctor with info about his short reign disappearing as time goes by. I do find it sad that details about his costumes are almost non existent, even on here. So, as a teaser, was there a detail on the jacket that took you by surprise, (you don't have to say) or was it pretty much as you suspected in your previous research? Many thanks for posting the photo. Its a great jacket and has made me more determine to find an original, and I guess I have at least 3 makes to choose from. I look forward to your progress on the jacket and comparison photos, best of luck with that‎. At last there will be a decent thread for 9's jacket at last. Hopefully there will be one for the War Drs Coat in due time too?

Apart from the lining fabric not being shearling like I had expected, it surprised me that it's got multiple styles of buttons on it. Specifically, the one on the belt is very different from the one on the wrist that you can see in my photo at the top of this page. Unfortunately, I didn't take a bunch of pictures, although the owner seemed fine with it I didn't want to impose. There aren't many great images of the specific details of this coat out there, I think the front buttons may be different as well. I didn't inspect those up close.

I don't know how many different coats there were total, I know there are at least two. The hero coat, and this one, which is the same one I saw in Cardiff in 2011.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back