Harry Potter

Norbert

Sr Member
I'm am going to be running a HP test(s) at an up coming con and trying to find 3- 6 HP prizes for the winners of the test. I am trying to keep the prizes cheep say under $15. I'm looking for things like candy, and other things that could be made easly that fans of HP would enjoy. I could make some of the prizes but I look to some free paper props and or replica that would cost me very little to produce. I have a few idea ready does any one else have any ideas or we to get really HP prizes of under $15?

If you're looking to get really low-priced items, you could pick up some of those $5 Snitches and Time Turners that are in bookstores... Otherwise, print off some Platform 9 3/4 tickets and such, those would be fun to get.

I got some chocolate frog molds for christmas, and they look really good. You could make some of those, and even fill then with different things, but ask about peanut allergies first lol.

It'd be pretty easy and cost effective if you made 'HoneyDukes', 'Zonko's' or 'Weasley Wizard Wheezes' small gift bags (You can find pics on the Harry Potter japanese webshop). You could put in some vintage looking candy or some of the print outs from the free prop thread like a signed photo from Gilderoy Lockhart, Hogwarts Acceptance letter, Kwikspells envelope (White letter envelope and a pen and a few mins and you'll have a fine prop replica or quicker still print straight onto the envelope) or even a Luna Lovegood necklace, just some blue yarn with a cork on the end, you could even write Butterbeer on the cork top. You could make some S.P.E.W. badges/buttons, print off any of the Wanted deatheaters posters or Harry's undesirable poster, you could print off the Quibbler cover and put it in one of those cheap frameless frames. You could print of a the winners certificates in a cool diploma sort of way with a gold sticker with ribbon near the botton rolled and tied with a piece of ribbon, if printing on white paper tea stain afterwards for a really cool finish. There are lots of things that you could do that would be cost effective.

somewhere I saw an instructables to make wands that looked pretty good out of paper and hot glue. Looked great and obviously cheap if u do urself.

You could try something from the Shapeways gallery like one of these fan made pendants (1, 2) or ring.

Totally new on here, but pretty excited to have discovered the forum! I actually found it thanks to Kestre's link to my Deathly Hallows Necklace, just wanted to point out that I also have this one on there, that's cheaper, $15 but bare in mind it's Alumide which is kind of metallic looking plastic, so it's not a fine heirloom or anything! Also Shapeways has a minimum $25 order amount so you might have to get two :) Thanks for posting the link Kestre! Oh and good luck with the HP prize finding Norbert!

I made wands out of Dowel Rod, Hot Glue and Paint! if you want i can throw up some random pictures of them and a quick instruction. There pretty darn easy to do!

@IamSteve: why not we are looking for things to do in our Party room other then the HP test and chess. it Slytherin common. So where are trying to come up with ideas there to

@IamSteve: why not we are looking for things to do in our Party room other then the HP test and chess. it Slytherin common. So where are trying to come up with ideas there to

First off, sorry for the dodgy picture, i took it on my phone lol

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/KissKillTheory/2011-01-18213948.jpg

The one on the left is incomplete, so ignore the blue line, its only there for demonstration purposes.

The process is very simple.
Gather your materials;

Dowel Rod
Hot Glue + Gun
Paints of choice
Lacquer / Varnish (optional)

1. Cut your dowel to length (i tend to go about 13 inches)
2. mark off where you want the handle to start
3. add a fine "web" of hot glue around the handle area and allow to dry.
4. continue to build up the "web" of glue in order to bulk out the handle.
5. once you reach a good thickness allow to dry (i let mine dry over night)
6. Paint. I generally leave the wood a solid colour and then use three to four different colours on the handles starting with a dark base, then dry brushing the rest on top.
7. If you're looking for a glossy finish, add 2-3 coats of Lacquer or clear varnish.

To achieve the rounded end like i have on the middle wand, i simply cut out thin card in that shape and wrapped it around the base of the dowel, then glued over it. In order to not use too much glue to fill in the gaps you can use stuff like bondo, keeping in mind it will add extra weight. I just used Airsoft pellets as their light and can be glued over to smooth.

The far right handle was made from an old chisel that was rusted, so i just drilled a hole down the center and glued the dowel in.

Hope this helps!

Steve

I used big paintbrushes to make my wands. Size 9 or 10... Then used epoxy putty (also known as plumber's putty, i think) to sculpt the details. The putty dries around 6hrs and really hardens overnight. Acrylic paint is used to finish the wands' color.

Here are a few of the wands I made:

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few wands I made a few days ago. The middle one was just made today and has a bronze finish + reddish brown shaft.

IMG_2425.jpg

Handle details:
IMG_2424.jpg

Isn't that the one included in the Dumbledore's Army Noble Collection set? I actually had that in my hand but forgot to take detailed pics of it. The only wands I had taken detailed pics were Harry's, Ron's and Neville's. For some reason, the girls' wands are more intricate in terms of detail so I really didn't plan on making any of 'em.

I don't think I can make something like Umbridge's wand. Too complicated. The crystal in the middle will probably make the wand not that durable. It's a weak point in my opinion.

We have removed some of the posts in this thread because all buying and selling needs to take place in the Junkyard forum. This thread is about suggestions for items that Norbert can make, not what stuff you can sell him. Thanks.

I can't find what his signature looks like, only Kenneth's. If we can locate it, I can put the two together for you, or I can take the way Kenneth writes and alter it to how he'd write "Gilderoy Lockhart."

I have some nice photos of him that can be signed.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back