Krylon satin cleacoat is it safe on enamel paint?

GF

Sr Member
Is it safe to use Krylon satin clearcoat over Humbrol enamel paints?

I want to protect and seal a paintjob I just finished on a mannequins head and needs to have a satin finish, whats out there thats safe on enamel model paints?

Thank you!

GFollano

I airbrushed a custom paintball marker. Some parts were painted with lacquer, some with cheap Testors enamel and some areas were painted with Humbrols with a brush out of the can and some Humbrols were airbrushed.

I clear coated it with Krylon satin just fine, but I did very light coats. I would also let the Humbrols dry for 7-10 days. I spoke to a Humbrol distributor and they changed their formulations a couple years ago to meet environmental standards. This changed some colors, the consistency and drying and cure times.

If in doubt, do a test on scrap plastic etc. But it worked fine for me.

I used krylon acrylic satin clear over glossy paint and it attacked it. However, doing light coats might have helped, I don't know. Test it first!

I might just get humbrol satin clearcoat.

But if the krylon satin is acrylic base it shouldn't attack the enamel paints?

GFollano

Unless they changed it recently with the recent EPA crackdowns on rattle spray cans, Krylon's Crystal Clear products are/were an acrylic lacquer and actually made by Sherwin Williams. So be careful shooting lacquer over enamels, as the hotter solvents in the lacquer tend to attack prior paint coats especially in anything but a light mist coat. Considering how many paints have been reformulated recently your better spraying a test piece to be sure.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back